Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: SE 103" Blown Motor  (Read 3543 times)

Grover

• 1K CVO Member
SE 103" Blown Motor
« on: November 09, 2005, 08:08:51 PM »

My 04 Seeg has blown the crank assembly TWICE!! The first occurance happened about 4200 miles. The motor was stock except for SE stage1, SERT and a D&D 2into1 Borezila exhaust.
Was cruising at 65 mph. Lost all oil pressure. Shut bike down.
After shop tore it apart they discovered oil pump was split from too much runout on the crank. The repair was all covered under warranty. They used the same cases for rebuild and a new stock configuration stroker flywheel and rods. At the time of rebuild I modified motor with SE parts. After proper break in, the dyno #s were 117 hp & 115tq. Rev limiter set at 6200rpm.  4700 miles later it happened again >:(! It's covered under warranty but they insist on using same cases again, but w/ SE Pro stroker flywheel & rod assembly + timkin bearing upgrade compliments of the dealership. I'm now going w/ the 113 cylinders & heavier Mods.
Has anyone heard of this problem? Or am I on the road to nowhere?! I think I need a  [smiley=drink.gif]
Any input would be appriciated.                                          

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: SE 103" Blown Motor
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 08:33:01 PM »

Grover,

I think that gulf coast harley in the tampa bay area just did a 113 as I hear it.  The guy I know just dyno tuned it for the service manager there.

In regards to blowing out the lower bearing, I have only heard of 1 here or 1 there that blew out the bearing, but none that had done it twice.

I think with the timken you should find less trouble.   You could always try and Force Harley to replace the cases based on the situation.   I think posing it as they cant for sure rule it out that you request this being this is not the first time, but the 2nd time.

A good machinist should be able to tell you if they line up correctly in all phases, but based on what you are saying I think its also a comfort level thing and you should not allow them to change your comfort level at least in my opinion especially after 2 incidents warranty or no warranty.

Good luck with it.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 08:42:13 PM »

Grover,

I would want new cases, or have a qualified machinist check and verify the dimensional integrity of the old cases.  There has to be something unusual causing this, since it is definitely not a widespread problem.  It would also be in Harley's best interest to make sure, since they are footing the bill for two overhauls so far and probably would prefer not to foot the bill for a third.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 08:49:22 PM »

Grover,

I would want new cases, or have a qualified machinist check and verify the dimensional integrity of the old cases.  There has to be something unusual causing this, since it is definitely not a widespread problem.  It would also be in Harley's best interest to make sure, since they are footing the bill for two overhauls so far and probably would prefer not to foot the bill for a third.

Jerry

They will have carried the bill for two.  But this time (especially) you'd just about have to expect them to try to get out as cheaply as possible.  The warranty is almost expired now isn't it?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 09:01:50 PM »

Twolane,

Even if the original warranty expires, if this engine fails again in another 4000 miles there would be a really good legal case against H-D and the dealership.  With the records of the first two failures as evidence, I doubt it would ever get to court before H-D settled.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005, 09:08:29 PM »

I'd hope so Jerry.  But repair under warranty doesn't extend the warranty.  Not even to the duration of the new replacement part by itself if purchased separately.  It's commonly 90 days.  And HD, God love 'em (because someone has to) doesn't have a reputatoin for being easy to get along with on those kinds of issues.  If there's a proved deficiency in the repair that changes the equation.  But finding that proof is the owner's burden in such a case.  I'd certainly not look forward to having to mess with it.  Make 'me fix as much as you possibly can now so the least amount possible will have to be worried with later.

Grover

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005, 09:41:47 PM »

They will have carried the bill for two.  But this time (especially) you'd just about have to expect them to try to get out as cheaply as possible.  The warranty is almost expired now isn't it?
The warranty will be up in June '06. The owner of dealership wants to make sure the cases alignments are all perfect BEFORE they go ahead and bore cases for the 113 jugs. The 113's I was told are on back order 'till end of November. The service Manager says there can't be anything wrong with the cases because of their design. I think B.S.! Then why did this happen twice around the same mileage with two seperate cranks!! He told me that the SE Pro crank + timkin set-up will fix problem. Service manager planned on sending cases to Zippers but now said He found another outfit to go with. To make sure that cases are line bored. I want it in writing that if this happens again that it will be covered by them. I'm just worried that this will happen again down the road. Then it will be big $$ out of my pocket! I'm going to talk to owner of Dearlership again before anymore action is taken.
I bought the pumpkin for a reason, I didn't expect a LEMON!!

Grover
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 07:10:02 PM by GROVER »

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• CVO1: FLSTFSE
    • Aussie's home page
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 03:16:59 AM »

My 04 Seeg has blown the crank assembly TWICE!! The first occurance happened about 4200 miles. The motor was stock except for SE stage1, SERT and a D&D 2into1 Borezila exhaust.
Was cruising at 65 mph. Lost all oil pressure. Shut bike down.
After shop tore it apart they discovered oil pump was split from too much runout on the crank. The repair was all covered under warranty. They used the same cases for rebuild and a new stock configuration stroker flywheel and rods. At the time of rebuild I modified motor with SE parts. After proper break in, the dyno #s were 117 hp & 115tq. Rev limiter set at 6200rpm.  4700 miles later it happened again >:(! It's covered under warranty but they insist on using same cases again, but w/ SE Pro stroker flywheel & rod assembly + timkin bearing upgrade compliments of the dealership. I'm now going w/ the 113 cylinders & heavier Mods.
Has anyone heard of this problem? Or am I on the road to nowhere?! I think I need a  [smiley=drink.gif]
Any input would be appriciated.                                          

Grover,
Hope they get your problem sorted, it does sound alot like the problem was never fixed at the first rebuild. What SE bits did you add at the 1st rebuild? I like those dyno numbers you got!

Cheers   [smiley=drink.gif]
« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 03:19:28 AM by AUSSIE_FLSTFSE »
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
  • There is no mistaking the Dominant Gene
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2005, 03:18:29 AM »

Noticed the same thing.....good numbers.Do tell! [smiley=banana.gif]
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Screamin Eagle Race tuner
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned
Max Power 97.2 Max Torque 107.3

d-rock

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2005, 09:18:14 AM »

Sorry to hear about your problems. I to have had my crank replaced twice, first at 3000mi from a loose compensator nut then at 5700mi from a blown up oil pump gear that ruined the end of the crank. I went with the timken bearing and the heavey duty crank the 113 jugs,103+ heads, 264 cam, rolller rockers, rocker supports etc. My dealer also sent the cases to R&R here in NH to check them out and so far so good the bike has tons of power from 2500 to 6400 in all gears. I now have 400 miles on it and is going to the dyno if I can get another 100mi before the snow flies. I just thought you would like to hear your not alone in the crank replacment game. Good luck
113 inch S.E.
The parts list will never be put in writing :)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2005, 11:03:08 AM »

Sorry to hear about your problems. I to have had my crank replaced twice, first at 3000mi from a loose compensator nut then at 5700mi from a blown up oil pump gear that ruined the end of the crank. I went with the timken bearing and the heavey duty crank the 113 jugs,103+ heads, 264 cam, rolller rockers, rocker supports etc. My dealer also sent the cases to R&R here in NH to check them out and so far so good the bike has tons of power from 2500 to 6400 in all gears. I now have 400 miles on it and is going to the dyno if I can get another 100mi before the snow flies. I just thought you would like to hear your not alone in the crank replacment game. Good luck

Take a couple hours off from work and you'll have that other hundred miles..........hell, I'd of had that before dinner last night! [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

BAKRDS

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2005, 01:03:11 PM »

Even if harley foots the bill for a repair it SUCKS to have you're ride down for the time it takes to fix it.Especially in the north east where every nice day counts.I'm looking out the window right now & watching it snow. As long as it's not enough to salt the roads it's not the end of the season.
          Jim
'10 SESG
 '65 FLH

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2005, 07:43:16 PM »

The warranty will be up in June '06. The owner of dealership wants to make sure the cases alignments are all perfect BEFORE they go ahead and bore cases for the 113 jugs. The 113's I was told are on back order 'till end of November. The service Manager says there can't be anything wrong with the cases because of their design. I said B.S.! Then why did this happen twice around the same mileage with two seperate cranks!! He just told me that the SE Pro crank + timkin set-up will fix problem. Service manager planned on sending cases to Zippers but now said He found another outfit to go with. I told Him that I'm in no hurry and to go with Zippers. To make sure that cases are line bored. And I wanted it in writing that if this happens again that it will be covered by them. I'm just worried that this will happen again down the road. Then it will be even more $$ out of my pocket. I'm going to talk to owner of Dearlership again before anymore action is taken.
I bought the pumpkin for a reason, I didn't expect a LEMON!!

Grover

Grover insist they send the cases to Zippers. They have done a ton of timken conversions. I know they are doing mine when I pull the motor. I also can assure if there is a problem with the cases you will know because they won't do the work if it's not going to be right!!!!!!!

Good luck and please keep us posted!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Grover

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2005, 08:01:48 PM »

Grover,
Hope they get your problem sorted, it does sound alot like the problem was never fixed at the first rebuild. What SE bits did you add at the 1st rebuild? I like those dyno numbers you got!

Cheers   [smiley=drink.gif]
Aussie Mike,
The SE parts used were as follows:
SE260 cams, HTCC ForgedPistons 10.5:1 w/ HTCC CNC Heads
SE Roller Rockers w/ Forged supports.
The stock air cleaner cover was replaced w/ just the SE Stratum chrome aircleaner insert on the end of the K&N filter for an "open pod" set up. Allows for much more cooler air to the motor+ a few more hp. Exhaust: D&D fat cat "Borezilla". Tuner said this pipe had the best torque curve of ALL pipes he has dynoed.
Just can't wait to get all the ailments of the lower unit issue behind me. Then I can move forward w/ the 113" and heavier mods.
Take care down under Mate!  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Grover

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2005, 08:22:15 PM »

droc-
Out of all dealers I have talked to around here nobody has heard of this happening twice. So I guess you and I shouldnt be betting on anything in the near future! ;D Lets just hope that the bad luck is now behind us. My ride has been down since September; but I've been riding the 02 Heritage.
Good luck w/ the 113" &  keep us posted w/ dyno #'s.
Grover  

Grover

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2005, 08:38:45 PM »

Grover insist they send the cases to Zippers. They have done a ton of timken conversions. I know they are doing mine when I pull the motor. I also can assure if there is a problem with the cases you will know because they won't do the work if it's not going to be right!!!!!!!

Good luck and please keep us posted!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
I"ll make sure they go to Zippers because of their reputation. I'm going to discuss this matter with owner of dealership this weekend. I'll let ya know more when I get positive results. Thanks.
Take care,
Grover

Grover

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2005, 08:50:57 PM »

Even if harley foots the bill for a repair it SUCKS to have you're ride down for the time it takes to fix it.Especially in the north east where every nice day counts.I'm looking out the window right now & watching it snow. As long as it's not enough to salt the roads it's not the end of the season.
          Jim
Jim
Yes this does suck having bike down in the fall. Both times this happened was in September & October! Fall riding is the best! Winter is right on our heels!! Enjoy the rest of your riding....
Take Care,
Grover

Grover

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2006, 09:26:17 PM »

Wow! This was my original thread. Five pages back.

I'm on my the home stretch on this matter. Just an update.
See page 1 for the start of this subject.  All is covered under warranty.

While it was is apart I deciced to do some more mods.
Timken Bearing conversion was done. Dealer went with Se Pro crank over stock assembly. I had cases bored to go with the 113' cylinders.
53mm Horespower Inc. throttle body, S&S geardrive cams, 24/37 primary gearing w/ 6spd trans.
Thanks to Hubbard & Unbalanced for gearing and tranny swap.
Did you two get the bill yet? [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

All my parts came in week of Christmas.
Also, I sent cylinders & heads out to Diamond Heads to be diamond cut. I went with the show cut for 100.00 more. Heads just came in this week. A few more trinkets and they're gonna reassemble. Should all be buttoned up in a week or so.

My bike's been down since Sept '05 :(
But thanks to you guys Ive kept my head up :)  
Thanks CVO gang [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Once we getter done I'll keep ya posted

Take Care,

Grover
« Last Edit: February 04, 2006, 06:28:56 AM by GROVER »
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 21 queries.