Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: What gear drive cam with comp. increase for low $?  (Read 3956 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: What gear drive cam with comp. increase for lo
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2005, 10:33:45 AM »

OK guys it's O' DARK THIRTY here in the mountains. I was going to make the trip to Zippers tomorrow morning, BUT we are under a HEAVY SNOW WARNING for tonight and into tomorrow mid day. So I said to myself and I quote "SELF" what would you do in a case like this. Self looked back at me and told me to get my ass going and since I had some part time work about 1/2 hour from Zippers THE EAGLE is going on the trailer this AM for a trip over there and I can kill two birds with one stone.

I will post something on the Zippers thread also and tonight when I get back home and I might have a time line. I do know they had a dyno down not sure which one but I would assume the Land/Sea model.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Self, thank you very much for getting Dawg's hairy derrier in gear.  The world thanks you.  Ok, maybe that's a bit extreme.  Me and a handful of others around here thank you.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2005, 08:59:38 PM »

Self, thank you very much for getting Dawg's hairy derrier in gear.  The world thanks you.  Ok, maybe that's a bit extreme.  Me and a handful of others around here thank you.

You know that you are VERY WELCOME!!!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

jeepster09

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2006, 11:40:08 PM »

To go gear drive,

26g for single rider and 37g if your going to ride 2 up.   Andrews cams.

You will prolly see the freedom clan speak up here and also choices are if you want more you could try the 55g by andrews the heads on the bike will handle the lift.  Generally most massage the heads some with this cam.   SBC / R&R / John Sachs / Speeds (uses R&R)

if you can wait a bit we may have an answer for you on the Zippers bolt in cams as well as the 557 gear drive cam that DCFireman is doing (Dawg).   I am told that Zippers has shipped me the 2 cams they have as bolt in for testing.  

-harry
Hmmmm......
The 37 does not like hi compression and is more a mid to upper end power cam, the 26 also likes stock compression and is a good low end torque cam great with a passenger. If you go above 10 to 1 compression you may want to consider the cam I am using which is the Andrews 31G cam. It works well above 10 to 1 compression and does not ping! [smiley=zwtf.gif]

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member
  • Utah, 2008 Best Trip Ever!

• CVO1: 03 SERK Purdue Gold & Black
    • CVO2: 09 SERG Silver & Black
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2006, 06:02:40 AM »

Neither of these cams have valve lift anywhere near as much as the stock SE253 cam.  What difference in performance do you think the reduced lift may create?  Or does the different lift have much effect at all?  I know the timing is quite a bit different but there are other choices with more lift and I'm wondering how these lower lift cams compare.  
Steve

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2006, 06:43:01 AM »

Skippy a few things to look at are duration and lift and valve timing. A lower lift but longer duration also works well in these bikes. It again depends on where your power band is and where you want it to be.

BUT HOLD ON I can't say a lot but I can tell you don't do anything yet. I think there is a cam lurking which as of yet has NO NAME!!!!!! And it works!!!!!!! Something may be released very soon.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2006, 02:17:32 PM »

DAWG:   I'm dragging my feet as much as I can!  I just keep occupying my time just checking into all the little specifics of cam selection and trying to learn all I can about it just in case I give up and decide to put in something already on the market.  Hopefully something will come out pretty soon.  The V twin expo is in Cincinnati, OH in two weeks so I'm assuming it will be out by then, but if not maybe I can learn something there.
   Let us know as soon as you can.
Skippy
Steve

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2006, 03:29:49 PM »

I think there is a cam lurking which as of yet has NO NAME!!!!!! And it works!!!!!!! Something may be released very soon.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

And how long might it be before results from the Guinea Peagle can be shared?

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2006, 07:57:18 AM »

Twolane,

I have the results of the CAM, only problem is I don't yet have permission to release them.   They will most likely not be released till this upcoming weekend.   The reason is we're going back to the dyno one more time with a real air cleaner on the bike vs. the new cheap harley paper one.   After the accident I found out they did not replace The Pumpkins air cleaner with a K&N air filter like they were supposed to.   Zippers just sent me one of their new ones to slap on hence the post about air cleaners and the stantions and we will do a quick dyno of the bike with the new air cleaner and see what we get just for sake of doing it to be sure.

The reason it wont be for a week is I am flying to phoenix Az this week and will be there until Thursday.  Test will be probably be done Saturday morning and we then need Zippers answers on to post or not to post.

-harry
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2006, 08:37:26 AM »

Harry have a safe trip!!!!!!! I kinda know Zippers will be letting some info out very shortly.I also know these guys and gals will be pleased. The info that will be released will be cams only at this time as far as I know. Stand by Twolane I think even you will be pleased.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2006, 12:03:05 PM »

Harry have a safe trip!!!!!!! I kinda know Zippers will be letting some info out very shortly.I also know these guys and gals will be pleased. The info that will be released will be cams only at this time as far as I know. Stand by Twolane I think even you will be pleased.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Thanks guys.  When the time comes I might be interested in the larger heads/cams/thundermax package that has been suggested would be one of the option sets.  I'm definitely most interested in the gear drive cams though.  Want to lose the chains before the upcoming spring gets here in full flower.  Last oil change I found the first couple of orange flecks in the filter and I just have no intention of screwing with it.

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2006, 03:01:05 PM »

Harry:  
   Do you know if Zippers will also have a map for the Thundermax specifically for the cams, if they release the cams?  That might make a difference also on whether to wait on them or not, if they would also have a map for the Thundermax.  They already have a map for my bike that matches, the only change would be the cams and maybe that doesn't make that much difference changing cams only.
Steve
Steve

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2006, 08:41:48 PM »

Skippy,

check the vendor area for a reply going to post this there for you and see what they come up with.

-harry
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2006, 09:49:59 PM »

Harry:  
   Do you know if Zippers will also have a map for the Thundermax specifically for the cams, if they release the cams?  That might make a difference also on whether to wait on them or not, if they would also have a map for the Thundermax.  They already have a map for my bike that matches, the only change would be the cams and maybe that doesn't make that much difference changing cams only.
Steve

Yes they will have a map for the new cams that is why my bike is sitting down there as we speak. Changing cams only is not a bad idea. You lose the chain!!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.