Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: stock 04 RKC upgrade advice  (Read 1707 times)

RKC04

• FLHRSEI.ORG
stock 04 RKC upgrade advice
« on: January 29, 2006, 11:51:27 PM »

Wondering if anyone can share some advice on upgrading my 04 road king custom engine.  I have only done the basic stage 1 kit with vance and hines slip ons...the slip on are going bye-bye and I am moving to a true dual exhaust with the vance and hines Big Shots. I am told the HD big bore kit is a joke and to get a deeper rumble sound and nice hp upgrade to do the follwing:

SE pro twin cam htcc heads
SE pro htcc pistons
SE pro perfect push rods
Big Bore cylinders for Twin Cam 88
258 cam kit
high tension spring for the clutch
misc gaskets
(about 10 hrs labor)

Any advice if this will give me a nice deeper rumble and a nice hp boost? Will I need a race tuner or is another recalibration ok?   [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

thanks.

kng103

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2004  SE-103          ROAD KING CLASSIC
Re: stock 04 RKC upgrade advice
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 10:03:26 AM »

if all you are lookking for is a nice deep rumble, put a thunder header on and save your money.
hp. is only good at the top end.
torque is the usable power, and there are too many upgrades availible to mention.
you have to decide what type of riding that you do, and where you want to improve you power.
money is also a factor. once you start openeing up the bottom half of the motor, you can get into some big bucks.
the kit that you you picked out will definitely give you more rumble and power. true duals are not really a good choice for hp. generally you get better hp gains with a 2 into 1 pipe.
jmho

2004 flhrci se-103 pearl white
bassani true duals w/ho mufflers
se air cleaner
sert
se-251 cam
s&s reed valve
24/37 gearing
se-6 sp
rumble road speakers
2008 lincoln mark lt(silver)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 10:05:26 AM »

RKC04,

I don't have personal experience with the mods you're contemplating, so you will want to listen to the folks who have actually done this.  However, I can tell you that the "big bore cylinders" aren't necessary.  You can have your stock cylinders bored to the correct oversize, at a considerable savings.  The 88 and 95 cylinders are the same except for final bore size.

The attachment below consists of snapshots from the SE Pro catalog.  On a touring bike, the "high torque" option would most likely be your best choice.  

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 01:05:26 PM »

Some things to consider with this build your going to go through.   1st I would not buy the 258 cam for this install.   Your roadking is a Touring Frame and bit heavier bike and to get it going Torque is the answer.   204 / 251 are probably your best way to go if your sticking all harley.

I would probably not look to the heavier spring only I would look towards a VPC Variable Pressure Clutch or a different clutch setup like the rivera pro clutch.   More money, but will handle the torque and then some.

Definately have your juggs bored out to match your pistons vs paying for new juggs until I am fuzzy on the year I think it was 2003 that Harley bored out your stock ones.   More money to be made selling you prebored :)

Define your riding area before picking the cam are you light to light / roll on racing / touring / WFO (wide something or other open)?

Chit CAN The perfect fits and get adjustables to be sure everything fits exactly vs. close there is play often found in perfect fits and its noisy and giving up power when its found.  

You will need a racetuner and to have it mapped after your break in miles are complete.   Do not allow them to dyno it prior you getting the rings seated under any circumstance they can load a map that is close or slightly overkill without running it on the dyno.

-harry

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

RKC04

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 07:36:53 PM »

hey- thanks guys good stuff here.  I appreciate the info and any additonal info you have on this mod.  Harry thanks for the Cam tip.

-mark

RKC04

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 10:51:20 PM »

ok- last question...
If I decide to save my cash on the engine mod's and go for some eye candy on a new paint set or paint job I still want the clean look of the true dual Vance and Hines Big Shots. So, if I just wanted the Big Shots installed I assume the dealer will have to recalibrate the engine for proper breathing again?  Plus will I still gain a little bit of deeper rumble?  I can part with $650 for the pipes and another $150 for a recalibrate.

The cleaner look of a one piece true dual exhaust has my eye.

-thanks
-Mark

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 11:56:34 PM »

Do the engine mod upgrade then ride it then do the eye candy .. besides you would hate to scratch the new paint or ding the new chrome just to do engine mods later anyway hehe.

I am not sure what you mean by
"The cleaner look of a one piece true dual exhaust has my eye."/
 one piece per side or around the engine compartment or ????  

Best of luck which ever project you take on first.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 12:00:05 AM »

Yes you should do a retune after you switch the pipes to get it right one vs. close it will probably be close, but definately not exact for the change in breathing for each cylinder.

you could even possibly lose torque down low and gain again mid / high since you will not have the same back pressure you had with the 2 into 1 / 80 percent cross over you had with stock and slip ons.

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 10:50:01 AM »

A nickles worth of free advice.  If you do the 95 inch upgrade with the HTTC heads,  you should look into a high torque starter.  I know a couple of guys that did the motor work,  then found out the clutch couldn't handle the torque,  and once they got that straight,  their starters gave em chit.  If your gonna do it,  save yourself a lot of headaches and bit the bullet and do it all at once.  JMHO

_Beagle
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 21 queries.