Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Disgusted  (Read 7963 times)

shortdog

• Senior CVO Member
Disgusted
« on: May 21, 2010, 03:50:03 PM »

I have had an ongoing problem with high oil consumption which I went into in detail in a post below this one. (Oil Consumption)
Service manager at the dealership was working with the MoCo on a fix. They decided to change out guides for oversize and re-ring the pistons.
After almost three weeks picked up bike and rode home. Next day went for a short ride to facilitate break-in. Got home and was checking for leaks and such and discovered two hoes drilled and tapped in front of front head. I was thinking perhaps they had to do this to brace head for installation of guides
but was disturbed that nothing was done to cover them like epoxy or such. Also noticed a lot of chipping in the granite finish. Talked to the tech yesterday
(service manager's day off) and he swore he did no drilling. We went to the engine room and he admitted the heads he installed are not mine! They ran into so many "unexpected" problems with the work on mine they just threw this set of heads off a bagger on my Springer! Apparently the new guides changed the valve angle to such a degree that when they ground the seats the tips will not allow the retainers to clear the rockers. I told the tech to let the service manager know I would be back today.
I went to the shop today and asked the service manager what he was thinking and indicated I felt I was being screwed over big time. I pointed out that
even without the holes in the head that I would not be happy with a set of used heads that no one knew the provenance of and he had seriously damaged our
relationship. Long story short he ordered a new set of heads from the factory and I will ride with the mystery heads until he can install them. We agreed to keep this quiet around the shop so I'll not give the name of the dealership on this forum.
What do you guys think of this? I feel like someone told me there is no Santa Claus and then peed in mu Cheerios for good measure!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Disgusted
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 03:56:54 PM »

Only because you asked..........
I think you stayed loyal to the dealership that was putting it to you and screwed the members of this forum that may be doing business at that dealership.

It begs the question......why would you agree to that with them?  I wouldn't agree to it even if I didn't plan on telling others.......I just wouldn't paint myself into a corner like that.  JMHO
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

shortdog

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 04:13:26 PM »

To the best of my knowledge there is no one from this forum doing business with this particular dealership. I really don't want to get this guy
fired as we have had a good relationship for ten years now. I guess I just needed to vent and I really want to give him the benefit of the doubt
that perhaps he would have told me on his own and made it right. If anyone wants the name P.M. me.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 04:20:45 PM »

I think you care more about your relationship with the service manager then the service manager cared about his relationship with you.  The mere fact that he would even try to pull this manuver without being up front about it would mean game over if it were me...  JMO....   :nixweiss:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 04:46:28 PM »

Shortdog, not only was what that dealership did underhanded, it was probably illegal as well.  Nowhere in the warranty does it say they can throw used parts from a different model motorcycle on your bike.  The MoCo, like all other companies, can use refurbished/remanufactured parts for warranty repairs as long as they disclose what they're doing, but they can't walk over to the used parts bin and grab something.  BTW, the head was most likely from a Touring model, and the two holes are for the front mount stabilizer.

Anyone can make a mistake, so the fact that they botched the guide replacement wouldn't necessarily cause me to go ballistic.  But trying to cover up their screwup by pulling the wool over your eyes is something I personally could never forgive.  I agree with the others who have posted so far, this guy isn't your friend if he would consider doing something like this.  On the other hand, if you can forgive and forget I guess it's none of my business.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 05:07:22 PM »

I have had an ongoing problem with high oil consumption which I went into in detail in a post below this one. (Oil Consumption)
Service manager at the dealership was working with the MoCo on a fix. They decided to change out guides for oversize and re-ring the pistons.
After almost three weeks picked up bike and rode home. Next day went for a short ride to facilitate break-in. Got home and was checking for leaks and such and discovered two hoes drilled and tapped in front of front head. I was thinking perhaps they had to do this to brace head for installation of guides
but was disturbed that nothing was done to cover them like epoxy or such. Also noticed a lot of chipping in the granite finish. Talked to the tech yesterday
(service manager's day off) and he swore he did no drilling. We went to the engine room and he admitted the heads he installed are not mine! They ran into so many "unexpected" problems with the work on mine they just threw this set of heads off a bagger on my Springer! Apparently the new guides changed the valve angle to such a degree that when they ground the seats the tips will not allow the retainers to clear the rockers. I told the tech to let the service manager know I would be back today.
I went to the shop today and asked the service manager what he was thinking and indicated I felt I was being screwed over big time. I pointed out that
even without the holes in the head that I would not be happy with a set of used heads that no one knew the provenance of and he had seriously damaged our
relationship. Long story short he ordered a new set of heads from the factory and I will ride with the mystery heads until he can install them. We agreed to keep this quiet around the shop so I'll not give the name of the dealership on this forum.
What do you guys think of this?
I feel like someone told me there is no Santa Claus and then peed in mu Cheerios for good measure!
I think you should get a lawyer!!!..... I'm not a "sue" happy person but this guy committed fraud and theft.... He took your heads (stole) and replaced them (fraud) with another set w/o your knowledge or permission. After that he didn't disclose this information to you until confronted. IMO you owe them no loyalty and you shouldn't (at least I wouldn't) have any problem w/naming who they are to protect the rest of us in this forum from ever having to deal with or be ripped off by this dealership and their practices. :soapbox:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 05:18:32 PM »

To the best of my knowledge there is no one from this forum doing business with this particular dealership. I really don't want to get this guy
fired as we have had a good relationship for ten years now.
I guess I just needed to vent and I really want to give him the benefit of the doubt
that perhaps he would have told me on his own and made it right. If anyone wants the name P.M. me.
I'm sorry to say him "screwing" you like that and not telling you (IMO) isn't a good relationship. :nixweiss: A good ten year relationship would have went like this...

SM (either calls your or tells you when you pick up your bike) - Yo (your name) I've got some bad news... unfortunately when we were working on your bike ____ (insert what happened here) and we had some spare/used heads here that I put on it until I can order and get you a new set. I'm sorry this happened but I thought I'd at least let you enjoy some riding while we wait on the replacement set to come in. Again I'm sorry this happened and we are going to do whatever it takes to make it right and you happy.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

JeffsHogPen

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
    • CVO2: 2001 FLHR
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 05:26:01 PM »

Your Lucky to find this right away. I bet that if you found this later that they would not have made it right for you. I wonder how many time this happens and they get away with it.??????? Anyway I think that they had know choice but to make it right. I mean they were in the wrong. Don't let them think that they are doing you a favor.  It is their job!!!!!!!
Hookem¨Horns!!!!!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 06:14:06 PM »

He shouldn't do any more than he has until the new set of heads are received and satisfactorily installed.  Then all bets should be off.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 06:28:58 PM »

He shouldn't do any more than he has until the new set of heads are received and satisfactorily installed.  Then all bets should be off.
Give me some of that you're smoking... never known you to ben (this) calm at/when a vendor is trying (has attempted) to screw someone. :P ::) :D ;D

Honestly (again JMHO) I'm not sure I would feel comfortable with them making things right at this point when they weren't upfront/honest in the first place. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 06:43:07 PM »

I went back and read shortdogs previous post.
My guess would be,

Lakeland Harley Davidson

And I would expect that if I'm wrong shortdog will correct me.

SBB

and I agree with Scott (sadunbar)
I think you care more about your relationship with the service manager then the service manager cared about his relationship with you.  The mere fact that he would even try to pull this manuver without being up front about it would mean game over if it were me...  JMO....   

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 06:44:43 PM »

Give me some of that you're smoking... never known you to ben (this) calm at/when a vendor is trying (has attempted) to screw someone. :P ::) :D ;D

Honestly (again JMHO) I'm not sure I would feel comfortable with them making things right at this point when they weren't upfront/honest in the first place. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

He's already got the new heads in route.  If you've got sure winnings inbound take them.  Then go after anything else you wish to. 

The shop may not be able to rebuild a set of heads. The episode so far certainly casts doubt on that.  It does seem they can just swap a set though. 

Not saying I wouldn't want to see the new heads before they went on the bike.  Not saying I wouldn't have already documented all I needed to raise question later.  But why not get the new heads while it's still easy to do so?

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 07:43:16 PM »

He's already got the new heads in route.  If you've got sure winnings inbound take them.  Then go after anything else you wish to.  

The shop may not be able to rebuild a set of heads. The episode so far certainly casts doubt on that.  It does seem they can just swap a set though.  

Not saying I wouldn't want to see the new heads before they went on the bike.  Not saying I wouldn't have already documented all I needed to raise question later.  But why not get the new heads while it's still easy to do so?
We are in agreement there... I think he should get the new heads.... and I think he should get the SM head for not being upfront..... again JMHO as is yours. :2vrolijk_21: That SM has broken two cardinal rules in my book... he's lied and he's stolen..... no other way I can look at. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 08:27:01 PM »

We are in agreement there... I think he should get the new heads.... and I think he should get the SM head for not being upfront..... again JMHO as is yours. :2vrolijk_21: That SM has broken two cardinal rules in my book... he's lied and he's stolen..... no other way I can look at. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Absolutely. And he deserves to be raked over some coals. But no reason to let him know it's coming until the replacement parts are provided.

mitsu matt

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 06:34:25 AM »

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

I have read the original post a couple of times, where does it say the service manager had any knowledge of this? The tech admitted he did it, and the service manager the next day ordered the new heads. It is extremely plausible that the technician was having so many problems that he pulled the swap without any knowledge by the service manager. That being said, after the fix, I would go to the general manager or dealer principle with the information and let him handle the situation.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 21 queries.