Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 2015 CVO Limited vs my 2004 BMW  (Read 7280 times)

MnYaMon

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MN

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
2015 CVO Limited vs my 2004 BMW
« on: April 24, 2015, 04:06:24 PM »

Traded in my 2004 BMW K1200LT last fall and bought a 2015 CVO Limited. Bought the BMW new in 2004 as it came with Heated Seats, Heated Grips, Cruise Control, Reverse, BMW ABS Braking and a stereo with a 6 disc CD changer as standard equipment for less then either a Gold Wing or Harley without such features. Also it was a BMW. Owned and drove the BMW for 10 years travelling around for long weekends and week long trips twice a year. Rode and drove great with no complaints. Plain Jane looks and odditty of machine did get old to me after about four years. Being paid for though, and performance being fine, just kept riding. Finally decided to upgrade and naturally all the features on the CVO Limited are great. Add my wife as another whose influence is paramount, and who luckily for me, fell in love with CVO at first sighting. Now onto my comparison after having logged 1100 miles in the last 40 days. Most all of our riding has been and is non-freeway.

Seat - BMW was stiff and after 200 miles it got tough to endure. CVO Hammock so far appears to be much better and initial impression is it is a definite upgrade. Wife says BMW was far superior for her, but she had handles on top of BMW saddlebags at seat level which she misses dearly. Also being a petite gal, seat softness does not seem to affect her comfort either way as far as the tush goes, so the handles is what she misses affecting her opinion(?).

Riding Position -  Seating position is apples and oranges. BMW situated more in a Street/Sport position with heels slightly behind hips. This gave bike a fun sporty feel that was fantastic in the twisty's. Not so much for long rides and outright uncomfortable at about 200 miles. CVO heels forward and comfortable. Adapting to  change and quite pleased with new position for touring. Handlebars on CVO slightly higher, again making more comfortable for touring.

Ride - BMW great fun to ride and fantastic at handling and eating up the twisty's (my favorite). CVO so far has not disappointed. While not the same sport feel as the BMW at cornering and handling, it has greatly exceeded my expectations so far. Rolling through twisty's is whole different feel, but one I am smiling through the whole way. The less challenging stretches of roadway are by far better on the CVO.

Wind Buffetting - This is a draw as BMW shield raised and lowered easily with a button on the grips that was ergonomically situated. Buffetting could be eliminated, drawback though having to look through shield and shield could catch the wind and act as a sail. Also could lower BMW shield below sight line and used for a cooling wind on hot days. Have replaced Harley stock with a LRS 10"Ultra (with flames), that combined with the vent allows me to see above shield line with no buffeting on face, only at very top of my head (I'm 5' 10"). Love the CVO vision over the screen with minimal buffetting.

Controls and Ergonomics - Harley wins this hands down. I find everything is easily manipulated with Joysticks and easy while holding the grips. BMW had limited things you could do while holding grips and required looking down at top of the tank (more dangerous) then compared to the Boombox Screen. Grips on CVO are awesome. I have some wrist tendon issues that do not come into play on CVO as it did with BMW. Also they look as awesome as they feel.

Engines - Again apples and oranges. I am not a mechanic, or care to be one, so my opinions here are all based off feel and not HP, cc's or design. BMW very responsive and was a 1200cc with 5 speeds. Quickness and responsiveness very good. Would start to whine abit though at speeds over 70 mph if not raced through the gears from the start. It would go over 100 mph and have rode at 80 mph for long stretches. In other words if I did not rev it up to the max through each gear to allow me to not shift to 5th until about 70, engine seemed to not like travelling at 70-75 mph for long durations. Had dealer do all of the scheduled maintenance and never had any issues. CVO engine, as you know, performs great and can handle 70 mph with no problem without even hitting 5th gear. Engine performance so far way better then BMW.

Braking - BMW ABS brakes were awesome and came in handy many times. Did not like having any independent control of front brake though at low maneuvering speeds. CVO's reflex braking is great. Trust and hope CVO ABS will take care of me as well as BMW's when needed.

Temperature - I do not withstand heat well and that was also a big factor in buying my BMW for touring back in 2004. No radiant heat from machine at all. CVO considerably hotter, even with cooled heads. Will have to adapt.

TourPak and Saddlebags - Have not used for long trip as of yet so jury still out. First impression though is there seems to be more space.

Appearance - BMW appealed to me as there were not many others you see. I liked the the uniqueness at first. Began to hate the tupperware on the BMW within two years though. No engine to see and virtually no chrome. Not hard to clean or keep up though. CVO is a work of art that I thoroughly enjoy. Not having an abundance out there a big plus. Cleaning and upkeep going to require a lot more of my time. Bought a J & S lift just to help keep clean. I envision becoming one of those guys - Bike always shining ;D. Bottom line is I love CVO's appearance.

Final Observations - Delighted with looks, ride, and feel of my CVO. Boombox and navigation are great. Navigation and screen location can be used while not deterring much from seeing ahead. BMW stereo cannot compare. Both big machines with CVO being heavier, bulkier, and tougher on parking lot foot maneuvering. Miss my reverse. Have a lot more pride in machine vs all of the Tupperware on the Beamer. Nothing against those who do, hesitant myself to do the look and become completely outfitted with HD everything. HD got enough of my money up front and my machine itself can do all of the explaining. :drummer:

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
Re: 2015 CVO Limited vs my 2004 BMW
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 04:12:36 PM »

Interesting!  It is good to read.  I do wish there was a reverse as well.  You put a 10" shield and does your wife still get buffering?  My wife does so I am going to change mine and just trying to decide which one and what height.

MnYaMon

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MN

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 04:20:36 PM »

You put a 10" shield and does your wife still get buffering?  My wife does so I am going to change mine and just trying to decide which one and what height.

RJ the entire time I had the BMW I would ask me wife if it ever improved when I raised or lowered the BMW shield. She would say no she was fine. Buffetting does not seem to bother her at all and she said it never felt different which is hard to believe. She sat considerably higher on the BMW and CVO is much lower. I ask again and get same response  :confused5: . She is a bad one to ask.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 04:21:56 PM »

What a wonderful write up, thank you.  :2vrolijk_21:

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

txbear55

• Full CVO Member
  • IBA
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 07:14:51 PM »

Interesting read, but really, comparing a 2004 BMW to a new CVO???  The real comparison is a '15 CVO to a '15 BMW 1600 GTL.   Ride it, then report back.  Harley wins if you love Harleys.  BMW is about max performance/luxury.  How about 160 hp and 129 tq....

2015FLHTKSE

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 07:59:17 PM »

You may want to look at these. The sloped back design moves the air right over our heads. I got the XL one and at 5'10" it's perfect. I can look above or below and no buffeting.

http://www.clearviewshields.com/motorcycle-windshield/harley-davidson/harley-2014-electra-glide-street-glide-tri-glide-limited-windshield/

Interesting!  It is good to read.  I do wish there was a reverse as well.  You put a 10" shield and does your wife still get buffering?  My wife does so I am going to change mine and just trying to decide which one and what height.

MnYaMon

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MN

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 08:10:01 PM »

Interesting read, but really, comparing a 2004 BMW to a new CVO???  The real comparison is a '15 CVO to a '15 BMW 1600 GTL.   Ride it, then report back.  Harley wins if you love Harleys.  BMW is about max performance/luxury.  How about 160 hp and 129 tq....

You are absolutely correct txbear55. I did this comparison as it relates more to my evaluating the overall changes for me to the Harley from my experience. Engines definitely not comparable. Excuse me for saying, in 2004 prior to the recent Rushmore changes, I would take the BMW over the HD everytime. That being said, last October me and the wife did rent a '15 BMW 1600 GTL for four days and travelled up and down the Pacific Coast Highway. I knew I was going to upgrade and wanted to like the BMW. Bike naturally handled and performed great. Better then  my current CVO. A fun ride. My passenger though hated it completely. This version totally designed and made for rider with passenger as an afterthought. Our packing space was much more condensed then our 2004. Sound system only had two speakers and quality not even close again to our 2004 Beamer. Wife never could hear it. Windshield again was adjustable, but buffetting and sail effect worse once again then the '04. I wanted to fall in love with this bike as its price is (swallow hard) is $11,000 dollars less then CVO and does handle and perform better if you want to travel solo. Enjoy the wife too much to go solo and knew I had to look for something else. Gold Wings nice and all, but do not jerk my bobber so to speak. Wife has never wanted, or would even consider a Harley and I was at a loss as to what I was going to do. After some homework I myself was convinced the CVO limited would do the trick. She however was passionate about not getting one. Hated the noise and encountering most HD riders that are way too in love with HD and walking talking billboards. I convince her to at least go look with me. First one in the door was the '15 CVO Limited in Palladium Silver and Typhoon Maroon. To my surprised delight, with no prompting or asking, she says " I would take that one" Easiest sale they ever got. Each subsequent visit I had to keep telling her to be quiet about "I love and want that one". All that being said BMW 1600 engine did way out perform the CVO 110 Screaming Eagle. Your response is completely accurate though as far as actual comparison I had originally made. Glad to add more current evaluation as to 2015 model CVO vs BMW Tourers. Performance and handling on K1600 GTL is better then my CVO, but for two up riding and CVO Boombox I will take my CVO over the new Beamer every time.

txbear55

• Full CVO Member
  • IBA
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 01:20:21 AM »

Completely understand.  Sold my '06 CUSE and have regretted it since, but also have enjoyed experiencing the high performance scene of other makes.  I have no doubt that I will enjoy the Harley character again before I'm done with two wheels.  Hey, I'm still lurking on the CVO forum, right?

BDMastiff

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 08:44:13 AM »

Thanks for the analysis.  I enjoyed reading it.  I've only ridden a BMW once and I've ridden every model of Harley except for a V-rod.  They're completely different breeds bikes.  I remember the BMW would pull slightly to the left upon acceleration.  I found it odd but got used to it very fast.  The Beemer was much lighter and more agile.  I never got the chance to ride  it in the twisty's but I imagine it would track through the corners much better than most Harley's .   I live minutes for the Santa Monica mountains and I love the twisty's.  I like to ride fast and I enjoy scraping my floorboards on turns.  If I can make them throw sparks it's even better.   That said, my 2013 CVO Road Glide meets all my needs.  I've owned 4 Road Glides and my current scoot is definitely my favorite.  I like taking long road trips and I find Harley's to be very comfortable.  I'll be 50 in a few months and I'm beginning to mellow out.  I've definitely slowed down and I look forward to keeping my 2013 CVO Road Glide until people look at me and say "Check out the old dude on that old Road Glide".   

Again, thanks for the write up.  I've thought about BMW's a few times over the years but I'm staying loyal to my FLTRXSE2.

dgreen1069

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 08:56:48 AM »

Great write up!  Enjoy your new ride.

Glenno

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 04:32:53 AM »

I had a BMW K1600GT which I sold to buy my Ultra Limited. The Beemer is technically better in nearly all depts but I just didn't feel the ergonomics worked for me. I always had wrist issues and never felt completely comfortable (unlike the HD). The model has a few issues but it's strength is the incredible suspension and engine package - brakes amazing too.
The Harley does have something which is 180 degrees different... it's got a ballsy feel about it, hard to describe -- like the "X" factor. On paper HD is outclassed but I'm not missing the BMW.

Glenno

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2015, 04:49:12 AM »

Just look at that armchair.... I'll trade 8 degrees of lean angle for that thank you.

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 06:15:20 AM »

Thanks that was a Great write up, I'm thinking about adding a BMW to the stable ???.
DND

ultrarider123

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 08:30:49 AM »

I enjoyed your write-up, MnYa. 
I wanted one of the K1200LT's.  Rode one as a demo for a good part of a day in the mid '90's.  I was contemplating trading the '95 Ultra for a '96 Ultra (didn't) and had a brain fart for the LT.  I liked everything about it except for two things, one of which you mentioned.....looks.  It did nothing for me.  No soul stirring what-so-ever visually.  Of course I had my butt on a HD for many years at that point so it would have been too major a change in all areas, including looks.
The second thing for me that you did not mention (because it probably was not an issue for you) was my inseam/leg length.  My legs are too short for me to be comfortable at any sort of stop with the LT.  I always wanted longer legs.  My mom said how much longer do you want them?  They already reach from your butt to the ground.... ;D
Anyway, with my normal riding boots, I was still on my toes at any stopping situation at each stop causing the old sphincter to pucker way to much for me to be any way comfortable riding the LT.  BMWs in general seem to be for a taller man/women...although the new 1600 does fit me better than any of the others...so maybe they have heard the complaints and responded.

As for wife approval, any BMW is not an option.  Vickie thinks they are U-gly....pretty much eliminates that cycle option... :)

While I wouldn't mind having a BMW modersykle in the garage, it would be a second bike, not a replacement to the CVO.

Many happy miles to you and your wife on the CVO
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 07:26:35 AM by Haird »

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2015, 04:26:12 PM »

I have owned Suzuki, Yamaha and Honda but always wanted a Harley. Why? Can not put all of it into words except the Harley was the "real" motorcycle from my childhood. I have no doubt that the new BMWs are fine machines and on another thread I listed that I would have one as the "other bike" but they are ugly and I can remember those odd opposed cylinders sticking out that just made me cringe.

Looks matters. Style matters. And boyhood ideology trumps all reason. God I sound like a walking billboard, sorry. I do understand that can really put some people off. People going on and on about those damn Harleys. I sure hate that your wife will have to eat all those words. ;D
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 21 queries.