Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Accessorizing - Comments/Suggestions Please  (Read 3970 times)

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
Accessorizing - Comments/Suggestions Please
« on: February 15, 2004, 01:26:50 AM »

Hey guys. As Naitram noticed. We have had a few "spring-like" days here in the Northeast recently, which spurred me to begin ordering the stuff I need for the bike. I was hoping to get down to the Northeastern Bike Expo to check out vendors, but surf was up in Maine that Saturday and the double withdrawal (no bike/flat surf :( ) all winter was taking its toll on me. (Spent 2.5 hours in 34 degree water with 3-5" swells--just what the doctor ordered!)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2004, 01:30:05 AM by psychodeuce »

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
Re: Accessorizing - Comments/Suggestions Please
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2004, 08:06:51 AM »

depending how far you plan on riding, will decide how uch of that stuff you really need. the rain gear is great but are you always going to carry it on the bike? or if you think you will need the stuff when you leave the house will you still take the bike? start with the heated stuff and slowly add the other stuff if you decide you really need it.
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2004, 11:30:48 AM »

Naitram I think he's working up towards a Sturgis type ride. [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

O.K. Psycho......on the serious side.....you may have gone a little excessive in a couple areas.  For instance, I've never locked my helmet, ever.  Just sit it on my seat or hang it off the foot peg, handlebar/mirror or whatever......just never had anybody mess with it.

The Tour Master 2 piece is a great rain suit (I discoverdd it in a magazine that tested like 20 rain suits....for price and function, it came in on top) however, I only carry it on the long trips.

Not sure how many luggage bags you're going to need if you're riding by yourself.  If your bag is not waterproof, use a large trash bag on the inside and put all your stuff in it that way......keepin the socks and t-shirts dry is important to me.  Take an extra plastic bag (a smaller one is fine) for the dirty clothes.  They'll take up the same space as they did when they were clean, you're just trading places within the pack.

Personally I don't use a bike cover and don't know anybody who does, on the road.  Valuable space that I'd rather use for the creature comforts.

Personally, I don't use rain boots.  I buy good quality leather boots and when it comes time for a long trip I spray them real good with water repellant.  Some will tell you that that's not good for the leather but my soles wear out before the uppers and I don't resole them.  I wear my boots about 365 days a year and usually get two or three years out of them.

Gerbing has heated sox and gloves, too.  Just ordered them for myself.  You'll probably be able to use that kind of stuff a lot more than I would.  Hell, in the summer I often ride without a shirt at all (remember, I have full fairing and windshield).  In Calif. any kind of leathers would be too much.  The most you're going to get out here is jeans and a t-shirt or tank top.  It often reaches 110 to 112 degrees.....way to hot for leathers.

I hope this helps Psycho.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2004, 10:35:35 PM »

depending how far you plan on riding, will decide how uch of that stuff you really need. the rain gear is great but are you always going to carry it on the bike? or if you think you will need the stuff when you leave the house will you still take the bike? start with the heated stuff and slowly add the other stuff if you decide you really need it.

If I'm just ridin' around I would be pretty light--just the wallet. But anything like overnight I think I will always have raingear on the bike. I'm thinking the rack sac for that, the lock, and some additional clothing (or leave empty to store what I remove). It's hard to tell right now since I don't know how bulky this stuff is and how it will store in the bag.

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2004, 11:18:23 PM »

...working up towards a Sturgis type ride...Not sure how many luggage bags you're going to need... bike cover ...rain boots.... way to hot for leathers.

Well your not far off there JC. If I don't start thinking about this stuff it'll never happen. If I'm not prepared, I won't be able to take advantage of an opportunity if and when it arises. The rac sac and luggage bag (medium height) appear to have sufficient storage for a trip to Florida (I might be able to avoid saddle bags). The bike cover will remain at my place on the ocean in Maine--very high traffic area in summer thus high likelihood for crime. Want the bike covered and locked to the concrete parking slab while I'm there. I was thinking the same as far as waterproofing everything. The bags come with internal/external rain covers as well.  

Leathers--The instructors on my rider course said at speed your cold in summer as well. Guess I'll have to experience that. They said always wear good leathers (prevents dehydration etc). Even wear them thru death valley they say! So maybe I can postpone the leathers a bit since I've been having the hardest time picturing myself with them--just can't see myself in chaps and all that yet (I get this wanna-be-poser-lets play biker dress up type thing in my head!)  8)

I guess full leathers are the norm for European riders.  

Cabo

• Senior CVO Member
  • OWOF

• CVO1: 04 FLHTCSE(Sold)
    • CVO2: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2004, 11:57:28 PM »

Leathers--The instructors on my rider course said at speed your cold in summer as well. Guess I'll have to experience that. They said always wear good leathers (prevents dehydration etc). Even wear them thru death valley they say! So maybe I can postpone the leathers a bit since I've been having the hardest time picturing myself with them--just can't see myself in chaps and all that yet (I get this wanna-be-poser-lets play biker dress up type thing in my head!)
2015 CVO™ ROAD GLIDE® ULTRA
04 FLHTCSE(Sold)

ak

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2004, 07:18:24 PM »

leathers a must, glove liners,silk long underware,sun-screan ,chap stick,meter change,toll bridge bucks,flat repair kit ,some tools,compressed air,asprin,shades clear,dark,tunes i-pod  are some of core 100% of the time------the rest travel as light as possible, theres wal-mart everywhere need camping  chair to wait for old faithfull $19.95 when done give to goodwill. having to much stuff or wrong stuff  is a real pain in the ass--ak---ps; if you cross usa boarder copy insurance ,redgristraton
,04seeg,s 09 roadglide,09 ultra

jay

• Junior CVO Member
  • flhtcse b&b
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2004, 08:21:26 PM »

May not be exactally what you are thinking of in terms of accessories but, spinning off of what AK said, one the most important for me is a good tool kit.  I think the old fashioned tear drop tool box will fit on your bike and both Harley and Cruztools make a pouch of tools that fit in it with most of what you'd need.  Personally I think the Cruztool kit is better than Harley's.
'46 FL Knuckle with sidecar
'52 Hummer 125
'65 FLH Pan
'77 XLCR
'81 FLH Hetiage Special
'87 Hetiage Custom

Skooby

• Full CVO Member
  • Have you kicked your tires lately?
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2004, 09:50:40 PM »

Personally,  I shop Ebay for a lot of items.  Both clothing and parts for my bike.  What you save buying on ebay allows me to buy even more!  [smiley=1syellow1.gif]
'03 FLHRSEI2

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2004, 09:34:30 PM »

Hey guys, the shopping spree has begun. As I'm off this week (I'm on school schedule), I have effectively silenced my favorite past time--procrastination  [smiley=rifle.gif].  Ordered my Gerbing stuff, Shoie Full face, riding boots (water proof), bike locks (cobra links & cuffs), and two piece rain suit. Now gotta decide on leathers or a Cortech type jacket/draggin jeans combo. Think it's time to stop into the local HD. They are having a raffle for an 04 fatboy. Think I'll put my 20$ in and if I win add some cash and take delivery on a CVO bagger.  [smiley=6.gif]

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2004, 11:34:58 PM »

Think I'll put my 20$ in and if I win add some cash and take delivery on a CVO bagger.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2004, 11:37:14 PM »

I knew it......you read it here!

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 24 queries.