Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Night Riding and Safety  (Read 7242 times)

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
Night Riding and Safety
« on: February 29, 2004, 10:53:47 PM »

Seems every time I bump into a post (or safety related magazine article) related to riding safety, it mentions the avoidance of night riding. Being a newby rider, I feel more/most vulnerable during daytime riding. In the days before the snow started falling here in NH last November, I purposely headed out in the evening to get some practice in on the bike-- it was fun, I felt more visible, I saw others more easily, and I enjoyed the challenge of taking a back twisty road on low beams. I do, however, see the potential danger in mixing with alot of highway traffic at night. But still, I was hyperalert to remain as free of traffic as possible.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2004, 11:05:53 PM by psychodeuce »

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
Re: Night Riding and Safety
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2004, 08:49:35 AM »

i love riding at night in the middle of the summer, its warm thers no sun glare and you are visible due to the headlight. however i will avoid the narrow twisty roads at night because you cant see as far ahead as you can during the day, what do they call that in the MSF course "over driving your headlight" just use common sense
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2004, 09:19:28 AM »

Psycho they have animal whistles (also referred to as deer whistles) at the auto parts store, if that will make you feel a little more comfortable regarding animals.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Black_Dog

• Full CVO Member
  • CVO Forum Member #157
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2004, 10:59:45 AM »

The Deer that I hit at 10:00pm in July 2001 weight about 100 pounds and did $4,500 damage to my 4 week old Ultra, Deer whistles only cost $10.00.

Black Dog
2004 FLHTCSE

rugbyprop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2004, 01:37:14 PM »

IN THE MIDWEST THE BIGGEST THING HERE ARE THE DEER. IN FACT LAST WEEK A SNOWMOBILE ON THE RIVER BEHIND MY HOUSE GOT ONE AT ABOUT 90 MPH.... GUY WALKED AWAY AFTER TOTALLING A $9000 SLED AND KILLING THE 200 LB. DEER. GOT LUCKY. SEE AT LEAST ONE DEER/BIKER DEATH A YEAR AROUND HERE. I FEEL SAFER ON THE INTERSTATE ROADS AT NIGHT, BUT WINDY TWO LANES AROUND HERE ARE LIKE PLAYING RUSSIAN ROULETTE!

Cabo

• Senior CVO Member
  • OWOF

• CVO1: 04 FLHTCSE(Sold)
    • CVO2: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2004, 03:40:33 PM »

IN THE MIDWEST THE BIGGEST THING HERE ARE THE DEER. IN FACT LAST WEEK A SNOWMOBILE ON THE RIVER BEHIND MY HOUSE GOT ONE AT ABOUT 90 MPH.... GUY WALKED AWAY AFTER TOTALLING A $9000 SLED AND KILLING THE 200 LB. DEER. GOT LUCKY. SEE AT LEAST ONE DEER/BIKER DEATH A YEAR AROUND HERE. I FEEL SAFER ON THE INTERSTATE ROADS AT NIGHT, BUT WINDY TWO LANES AROUND HERE ARE LIKE PLAYING RUSSIAN ROULETTE!

Please turn off your caps lock.  It is easier to read regular type.  Also it is considered yelling to type in all caps.

Thank you [smiley=antlers.gif]
2015 CVO™ ROAD GLIDE® ULTRA
04 FLHTCSE(Sold)

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2004, 10:13:53 PM »

i love riding at night in the middle of the summer, its warm thers no sun glare and you are visible due to the headlight. however i will avoid the narrow twisty roads at night because you cant see as far ahead as you can during the day, what do they call that in the MSF course "over driving your headlight" just use common sense

Although I have not yet ridden in summer, that's how I feel. I'm much more relaxed and  comfortable. I don't blast away either--don't have to. You fall into the groove just putting along following the road just to see where it goes. Of course that changes when some cage comes up from behind you!  

jay

• Junior CVO Member
  • flhtcse b&b
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2004, 10:15:27 PM »

I happened to work with a couple of sherriff's departments here in Wisconsin ( where we have a few deer running around!) who studied the effectiveness of those deer whistles on their own squad cars.  Bottom line...they did nothing.  Don't let yourself be lured into a false sense of security.

Psycho, keeps those high beams on!
'46 FL Knuckle with sidecar
'52 Hummer 125
'65 FLH Pan
'77 XLCR
'81 FLH Hetiage Special
'87 Hetiage Custom

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2004, 10:40:15 PM »

Psycho they have animal whistles (also referred to as deer whistles) at the auto parts store, if that will make you feel a little more comfortable regarding animals.

I read about these things over in the Zone. Took me a while to figure out just what the @#$$@ they were talking about. It's not that I'm worried about animals-but the fact that I probably should be after reading about Black_Dog's run in with a deer! I see deer from time to time at my house--we have a pond and a stream that feeds it. Is this particular whistle you mention a real whistle or mounted to the bike and runs on juice?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2004, 10:49:32 PM by psychodeuce »

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2004, 10:42:56 PM »

The Deer that I hit at 10:00pm in July 2001 weight about 100 pounds and did $4,500 damage to my 4 week old Ultra, Deer whistles only cost $10.00.

Black Dog

Wow! Can you set up the situation for me so I can get an idea of what you got yourself into? Coming around a bend? Back roads? Highway? Did you go down? How did you deal with it? [smiley=confused5.gif]

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2004, 11:01:43 PM »

.... BUT WINDY TWO LANES AROUND HERE ARE LIKE PLAYING RUSSIAN ROULETTE!

The windy backroads a problem due to the higher likelihood of animals popping out?

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2004, 11:08:04 PM »

I happened to work with a couple of sherriff's departments here in Wisconsin ( where we have a few deer running around!) who studied the effectiveness of those deer whistles on their own squad cars.

Black_Dog

• Full CVO Member
  • CVO Forum Member #157
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2004, 10:15:29 AM »

Wow! Can you set up the situation for me so I can get an idea of what you got yourself into? Coming around a bend? Back roads? Highway? Did you go down? How did you deal with it? [smiley=confused5.gif]

It was about 10:00pm south of Telluride CO on Hwy 145, I was the lead bike and we were on a two lane twisty road running right at the speed limit of 45, maybe 5 over at the most, there was very little shoulder and the brush was right up to the road.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2004, 08:52:08 AM by Black_Dog »
2004 FLHTCSE

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2004, 07:24:37 PM »

Psycho they are whistles that are of a frequency that humans can't hear.  They don't scare off animals, (dogs, racoons, deer, etc.), it just lets them "hear" you coming.  Just like we don't hear those tones, animals often don't hear our tones (motorcycles coming, etc.).  I'm a believer that they do work.  Too many times I've saw deer standing twenty feet from the road and once I go by, I see them cross, in my rear view mirror.

Different folks.....different views or opnions.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2004, 07:33:49 PM »

« Last Edit: March 02, 2004, 07:35:11 PM by psychodeuce »
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 24 queries.