Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Corbin seat info.....  (Read 2284 times)

BUBBLEHEAD

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2021 FLTRXSE CVO Road Glide Bronze Armor
Re: Corbin seat info.....
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2010, 08:42:16 PM »

JCZ 

What was the issue with Corbin from another thread? Something about trimming the rear of the pillion pad properly to fit or something. I can't remember what it was or which thread it was in here. I thought it was in your bike thread but my OCD wont allow me to go through it page by page.

Georgehjr

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE CVO™ Road Glide® Ultra-Rio Red/Black/ Ember-Triked Out
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic #1408/Triked Out
    • CVO3: 2010 FLHXSE TEQUILA SUNRISE/Not A CVO-2002 Heritage Softail---
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2010, 09:45:54 PM »

Yes they do you can ride in mainly on Saturdays it's kinda first come first serve, or just make an appointment. The Calif store is in Hollister  and I believe they still have one in Florida ??

The FL store is near Daytona Beach ,but its a 'sales' office only ......... :(
The one with the most Toys , WINS !!!

Georgehjr

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2010, 09:49:07 PM »

JCZ  

What was the issue with Corbin from another thread? Something about trimming the rear of the pillion pad properly to fit or something. I can't remember what it was or which thread it was in here. I thought it was in your bike thread but my OCD wont allow me to go through it page by page.

Yes , I just got my seat's from Jenni, and I have the issue with my stealth luggage rack, waiting on a return call. :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 10:20:25 PM by Georgehjr »

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2010, 10:18:45 PM »

JCZ 

Yes, if you have a quick release tour pack the back of the pillion pad has to be shaved forward a bit to allow the tour pack to be removed (the tour pack tips up and forward to remove and it hits the back/top of the pillion).  I've had a couple other members of this forum send me their pillions after Jenni had sent them back a couple times......to get them done right.

Also, do to the pan of the pillion and the way it fits the fender (over a spike that's inserted where the stock screw did go in the fender), you can not use a stealth rack with a Corbin pillion.  They just weren't able to shave it down to that degree without compramising the seat pan.  But, like somebody else here said, the stealth rack really isn't large enough and lacks tie down points to be practical as a luggage rack and you're not going to need a luggage rack if you have a tour pack......unless you're riding solo.  The MoCo does make a nice solo luggage rack that works very well and keeps your load off of the paint. :2vrolijk_21:

By the way, one of the pillions (I'll not mention whose it was, unless he wants to tell you) that Jenni had supposedly sent back a couple of times......they showed me when they pulled the cover off of it, that it had never been shaved down (still had the mold edges on it) and they claim it was never been sent back to them.  They shaved it and recovered it for free, as they have the corrections for the others that I've taken back to them.

You might get a bit bigger discount from Jenni but I think a number of members here will tell you that you'll have to send it back at least once to get it right.  If you want a seat done right the first time, you should order through Jim (hd-dude on this forum).   He knows CVOs and the oddotities of our bikes better than anybody else and knows how to communicate that to Corbin, over the phone.

It's some of the issues that people have, ordering over the phone or the internet or through a third party vendor is why I posted the pictures above.......just to give you guys a little more info. via photos. :2vrolijk_21:   Sure hope I'm not adding to the confusion.

One thing is for sure........when these guys all get there problems ironed out and are happy with their seats, I think they'd all tell you that Corbin seats are the best seat out there.  I know first hand.......I've rode coast to coast on a Corbin and never had the sweat, the pressure points, the monkey butt, tail bone issues........none of it......not even the slightest discomfort!  I'm just damn glad the factory is here in Nor Cal!
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2010, 10:22:20 PM »

Yes , I just got my seat's from Jenni, and I have the isssue with my stealth luggage rack, waiting on a return call. :nixweiss:

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news George, but the Stealth rack will not work with a Corbin pillion. 

Corbin seats actually have more room in the rider's seat and in the passenger seat (longer) and that's why the stealth rack doesn't work with the pillion. 
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Hawg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2010, 10:22:35 PM »

I should have taken a picture of their thread locker.  You would have saw first hand, why I'm not even going to try to describe or photograph all the different colors.  Multiple shades of every color you can think of and more colors than in the CVO paint line up. :2vrolijk_21:

Then there are other options such as with or without pipping, exotic skins, just about every color of leather that you could imagine......decisions go on and on to the point it make my head hurt. :o

I was able to get some inside informatin on one of our members, mjb 765, seat.  Good news.......it was shipped back to him on the 20th!
Thanks for the post I am thinking of getting the Solo seat with the flames. The mounting of the seat is something I was also wondering about do you have any info?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 09:06:42 PM by Hawg »
Hawg

Georgehjr

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2010, 10:25:56 PM »

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news George, but the Stealth rack will not work with a Corbin pillion. 

Corbin seats actually have more room in the rider's seat and in the passenger seat (longer) and that's why the stealth rack doesn't work with the pillion. 

Damn , I guess I will be 'selling' a rack...............,  But I have a Tour Pac coming also,.......So I guess I am still going to be 'sending' it back  :nervous:

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2010, 10:35:14 PM »

I'm sorry you guys.......I know I'd be unhappy if it were me.  I'm just trying to make everybody aware ahead of time so that they can make educated decisions.

Yes, you'll probably have to send the pillion back if you ordered it from anybody other than Jim (no, I don't get a commission.....just telling it like it is).  And now there's question of wether or not Jenni is even sending them back. :nixweiss:  I don't know.

If you haven't ordered yet, and you're going to, save yourself a lot of grief by ordering from Jim.  In the meantime, George, you might find out from Jenni the order number, etc. and then call Corbin directly (and get the name, time and date of the person that you talked to because the women answering have a problem communicating to the guys in back.....which just adds to the aggrevation).  Maybe ask for Julio (pernounced Hulio).

Another way for me to explain it.......with the stock seat on the bike the rear fender screw is visable.  With a Corbin seat and pillion that screw hole is under the pillion.  The stealth luggage rack goes right up to that fender screw.

Click on this link and go down to reply #9 (that's my pillion) and read on http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=47221.msg706987#msg706987
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 10:38:51 PM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

Georgehjr

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2010, 10:38:52 PM »

Thanks, yes seat is on bike...... Oh boy more 'fun' :oops:

Chuck Pryor

• Elite CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 09 SERG Silver/Titanium
    • CVO2: 86 FLST
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2010, 10:53:42 PM »

Yes, if you have a quick release tour pack the back of the pillion pad has to be shaved forward a bit to allow the tour pack to be removed (the tour pack tips up and forward to remove and it hits the back/top of the pillion).  I've had a couple other members of this forum send me their pillions after Jenni had sent them back a couple times......to get them done right.

I never had this issues with mine JC... not sure of the SERG is slightly different but no shaving done at the factory and even with the TP ounted in the forward holes on the quick release hardware I have no problems... I moved the TP back to make a little more room for my wife which she needed because of the rider backrest so with that seemed like plenty of room...

CAP

BUBBLEHEAD

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2010, 11:10:01 PM »

JCZ   thanks for clearing that up. I blanked on what the issue was. Really glad you posted pics of the stitch patterns I could not find them anywhere on Corbins website. Got to test a Corbin for the first time a couple of weeks ago it felt really good to me. I haven't had any other seats that were comfortable after more than 1-200 miles so my next one will be Corbin. Plus I think it is one of if not the best looking seat out there for the HD touring bikes.

BUBBLEHEAD

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2010, 11:17:04 PM »

I never had this issues with mine JC... not sure of the SERG is slightly different but no shaving done at the factory and even with the TP ounted in the forward holes on the quick release hardware I have no problems... I moved the TP back to make a little more room for my wife which she needed because of the rider backrest so with that seemed like plenty of room

Since there really is no differance in the bikes it makes me wonder if since these are basically handmade seats. There may very well be slight variations from piece to piece. If just a little forward "tilt" to the back of the pillion from shaving on some seats is the trick. Is it possible that whomever did your seat and sewed the cover, whether intentionally or not, made your seat slightly smaller than some others have been made.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2010, 12:17:59 AM »

Since there really is no differance in the bikes it makes me wonder if since these are basically handmade seats. There may very well be slight variations from piece to piece. If just a little forward "tilt" to the back of the pillion from shaving on some seats is the trick. Is it possible that whomever did your seat and sewed the cover, whether intentionally or not, made your seat slightly smaller than some others have been made.

I'm not sure why Chuck didn't have the tour pack issue.  When I was there awhile back with TJ's pillion getting it straightened out, they did say that they were going to send a message to R&D about it.  Maybe they did that and corrected the problem.  I guess George will let us know.

The seat pans and the seat itself is mass produced.  The seat pan is set in the bottom of the mold, then they pour the foam in.  After the foam cures and solidifys, they open the mold and removed the seat (and/or pillions).  So those are all mass produced there at Corbin.  It's the leather work, stitching, etc. that is done individually.

Here's a slide show of my seat being made in Mar. 2004..........   http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/slideshow/4000502

West Coast GTG   

BUBBLEHEAD

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2010, 05:53:25 PM »

I guess then they are half hand made. I still wonder if that dude with the sander or the person doing the sewing could make a significant differance in the seat, as far as this issue is concearned. Realistically I doubt that any two are exactly alike considering the foam clean-up and sewing are still done by hand.

Cool slide show I like seeing how things are made.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 22 queries.