Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: DIY project  (Read 7759 times)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

DIY project
« on: April 07, 2019, 09:13:58 AM »

Well the build is on making a table lift for the bike, you could call this stage 1.

I've been looking at the lifts then thought hell I could make one so it begins.  I did check first with my insurance first though I asked the Q,....."if I was to be working on my bike off the lift table and it fell off would I be covered" they put me on hold and came back with a yes I would.

I'll add more pic as it progresses,       I'm not busting my chops on it

J.D.

Re: DIY project
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 09:27:42 AM »

I like your idea.  Looking forward to seeing progress.  :2vrolijk_21:

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 04:59:41 PM »

Well the build is on making a table lift for the bike, you could call this stage 1.

I've been looking at the lifts then thought hell I could make one so it begins.  I did check first with my insurance first though I asked the Q,....."if I was to be working on my bike off the lift table and it fell off would I be covered" they put me on hold and came back with a yes I would.

I'll add more pic as it progresses,       I'm not busting my chops on it

I would add a cross plate at the point of the forward casters on the floor jack.  The plate should be welded to the lower main frame of the lift assembly.  This way you'll be lifting, or spreading between two points on the lift, not the floor and the lift.  Without the cross plate you're really only then supporting the weight of the lift/bike on the jack lift pad and it could tip.

Just one more piece of 1/4"x6" full width will do it for you.  Also on that same cross plate, weld a couple short pieces of 1" angle iron 1" long vertical and they will guide and locate the two from casters so you know you're in the right place to lift.

But depending on how you have your lift upper cross bar places, when your jack goes up, the jack pad will come back towards you, but the cross lift bar should also come back as you're lifting, so they may stay in sync.  Check that out before you get too carried away.

Good luck with the project.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 07:04:57 PM »

I would add a cross plate at the point of the forward casters on the floor jack.  The plate should be welded to the lower main frame of the lift assembly.  This way you'll be lifting, or spreading between two points on the lift, not the floor and the lift.  Without the cross plate you're really only then supporting the weight of the lift/bike on the jack lift pad and it could tip.

Just one more piece of 1/4"x6" full width will do it for you.  Also on that same cross plate, weld a couple short pieces of 1" angle iron 1" long vertical and they will guide and locate the two from casters so you know you're in the right place to lift.

But depending on how you have your lift upper cross bar places, when your jack goes up, the jack pad will come back towards you, but the cross lift bar should also come back as you're lifting, so they may stay in sync.  Check that out before you get too carried away.

Good luck with the project.

Cheers for the input  :2vrolijk_21:

I got what you mean,  the peace laying in the middle is for just that. Angle will run off the cross box section that the casters of the jack will sit on and that will all be tied into the fram.
The lift bar is set into each lifting box section arm that is floating/ pivots as it raises then the bar will be inside a box section that will have flat plate welded to keep the Jack pad in place. This will help spread the lift load across the length of the lift bar.

I have had it working up and down with things just tacked into place as a test run "like you say " to check that things are in sync and to my surprise the Jack pad stayed in place on the cross box with out the bits of flat plate welded on after 4 times up and down.
Any input is welcome  I'm just winging this as I go  :)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 01:17:41 PM »

Couple more hours spent on the table lift today sorting out the lift legs positioning.  :nervous: :drink:

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 01:35:52 PM »

A little more sorted out today.  Got a bit more of an idea now how I'm heading with it. Things are pretty much just tacked in place.
It's will have a 40" lift   The angle for the Jack will act as a runway to guide the Jack to the centre lifting point when it's removed and put back in for use.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 01:39:25 PM by longlast »

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 11:24:22 AM »

It looks like you're a very handy kind of a guy, nice work.

But I would be just a bit careful on the welding.  It looks like you've got a MIG with flux core wire, not gas.  My experience with flux core wire has not been all that great.  Just make sure that your welds are penetrating the way they should.

Good luck and keep the updates coming.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 05:52:06 PM »

Cheers Dan,  yes it is a flux core Mig and I know what you mean about  paying close attention to the weld penetration. I'm going a bit over the top by adding support brackets at each weld of the lifting mechanism just for a bit of added strength.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 10:19:27 AM »

Cheers Dan,  yes it is a flux core Mig and I know what you mean about  paying close attention to the weld penetration. I'm going a bit over the top by adding support brackets at each weld of the lifting mechanism just for a bit of added strength.

Glad you have that in the back of your mind as you build.

Good luck!
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 07:36:15 AM »

This (well self explanatory)is  the chock that I made some time ago.  I'm going to have the front of the table and chock removable for access to front end work.
I'm using this type of front wheel chock design because I don't like the idea of holding the bike with one hand while balancing it and lean forward and bown to hand wind the chock to lock in the wheel. 
This one works well,  it's a snug fit to the tyre 130mm and a 4th of the wheel circumference is being supported. Once it's in place I can get off the bike with no worries.
Bear in mind the table lift will be 7 1/2" in height.  Hopping  ;D

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 07:38:30 AM »

The wheels a snug fit

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2016 SESG
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 11:05:43 PM »

Looks good, can't wait to see the finished product.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2019, 01:32:42 PM »

Little more ahead today

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2019, 01:34:13 PM »

Taking shape

Spiked Olive

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2019, 05:59:09 PM »

Glad you are a better welder than me!

You have got me thinking however.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 25 queries.