Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: 2007 FXDSE  (Read 13962 times)

Loose_Goose

• Senior CVO Member
Re: 2007 FXDSE
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2006, 11:46:32 PM »

Second
12" HD 440s, Freedom pipes, Powercommander, detachable king tourpack, Fastaire 8" windshield, custom made Corbin heated seat and Hogtunes!

justgary

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2006, 12:26:03 AM »

I can't wait to see one in person.  Ive always liked the dynas.  I didnt think I would like the paint looking at the pics on the website but my Harley guy said the paint looks great in person.  Hope to see one soon.

Bubba

• 1K CVO Member
  • LIVE TO RIDE! RIDE TO EAT!

• CVO1: 2006 CUSE B/S
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2006, 10:28:54 PM »

Whats really cool is the stealth Gas Gage.  All you see is a chrome circle doesnt look like a gage at all, and when you turn the key on the LED's lites up under the chrome.  COOOOL!!!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 10:33:30 PM by Bubba »
Any-day above ground is worth living so let's go riding!!!

70_GTX

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2006, 09:27:31 AM »

I saw one at the Plainfield, Indiana dealership yesterday. It was the same paint scheme as the one above. It was a very attractive bike. I liked the disappearing gas guage too. It was not sold yet. My wife is 5' 2" and she couldn't reach the forward controls and thought the seat was too wide near the tank. She was on her toes to touch the ground. If a dyna would fit the bill, I certainly would be interested in one of these. It should perform great with that 110 inch motor.

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '05 SEEG/'06 CUSE/'07 SERK/'09 SERG (ALL SOLD)
    • CVO2: '09 CVO Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz (SOLD)
    • CVO3: '11.5 CVO Ultra Classic Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2006, 06:42:01 PM »

I saw the CVO Dynas last Saturday night at the civic center in Rapid City, SD.  The red was my favorite.  It was a sharp looking bike.

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2006, 12:55:09 PM »

My wife is 5' 2" and she couldn't reach the forward controls and thought the seat was too wide near the tank. She was on her toes to touch the ground.

My wife is 5'5", so she has a few inches on your's, but mine rides an '05 Dyna (FXDLi). The great thing about Dyna's (IMO) is how easy and inexpensive they are to lower. For example, by simply changing to a "reach" seat (available at your local stealer) my wife got an inch closer to the ground and over an inch closer to the forward controls without changing the bike's center of gravity or scrape clearance. The "reach" also is narrower towards the front, so its more comfortable for "shorty's". Add Progressive 440 series shocks, and you've lowered it another inch. Tighten down the front forks and its an even lower feel with better stability in the turns.

Aside from the Softail Deluxe, the Dyna is the only real choice for "shorty's" and (IMO) the Dyna is a much better ride, especially with a 110! Holy Cow... er.. I mean...HOG!
"... When all is said & done, more will be said than done."

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2006, 01:01:51 PM »

(Ahem, very politely, here) Your FXR2 was not a Dyna.

Ha! LMAO. Get 'em Red!

I'll pile on too; Quit callin' my FXR a "Dyna"!!! dammit! :-)

I saw a guy on eBay advertising sale of a 2006 Dyna/FXR, drives me crazy!

ok, I'm done... going back to mute.
"... When all is said & done, more will be said than done."

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2006, 06:09:05 PM »

I saw the CVO Dynas last Saturday night at the civic center in Rapid City, SD.  The red was my favorite.  It was a sharp looking bike.

Test rode one there and I was really impressed/surprised at how smooth and comfortable it was.  110 motor really makes it go, can only imagine what it will be like with performance pipes, etc.  
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

3hawgs

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2006, 08:00:11 AM »

My wife has a gorgeous 2001 FXDL that I changed the front end on to look like an FXR3 with bottom mount headlight and indicator lights on the dogbone. Great bike and VERY fast. Just changing to V&H pipes, V-Twin Air Cleaner, 42 mm Mikuni, ported and polished intake and SE ignition brought the motor to 82hp and 84 ft lbs torque with no internal motor modifications. The bike is a blast to ride and with her her on it at only 115 lbs she can smoke most Softails even with 95 inch kits. I would love to buy her one of these Dyna's and lower it to become a FXDLSE.

Has anyone seen what the dealers are charging for these?

John

Hawgwash

• Junior CVO Member
  • Wife called it male menopause ... Whatever.
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2006, 12:23:43 AM »

I like it alot, considering getting one.
06 SEUC, SE 2:1 Pipes, SEAC, SERT

70_GTX

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2006, 09:41:00 PM »

The one I saw August 10th is still there, I think they are asking MSRP. I would have thought that it would have sold by now.

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2006, 09:57:49 PM »

Nice lookin' bike...there were two at my dealership, now only one...

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2006, 09:39:57 PM »

(Ahem, very politely, here) Your FXR2 was not a Dyna.  Totally different frames.  The FXR frame, light and stiff, 3-point engine mounts, was designed by Eric Buell to efficiently transfer power to the road.  The Dyna frame, much less complex, heavier, two-point engine mounts, was designed by HD accountants to save money.

But I hear the current Dyna frame is better than the old one.  Still....

No, I'm not partial or anything. ;D

I may have cashed-in these brain cells a while back, but as I recall it the FXR models replaced the old Superglides and Low Riders with the newest “rubber glide” chassis and powertrain.

It is my sense that the Dyna chassis was conceived by the styling folks in order to recapture the look of the old 4 speed FL/FX machines replaced by the FXR's. This was at a time when retro was gaining big momentum; the Softail Custom, Heritage Classic and to some degree the Springer were all fast gaining popularity.

I also recall that there was some market push-back to the perimeter design of the rear frame section, specifically the inclusion of the frame side covers. H-D changed the XL models in 1979 to include large side covers, which people hated (similar to the pushback on the VRod radiator). The XL side covers were made substantially smaller and the battery and oil tank were back out loud and proud for all to see in the 1982 model year.

There is no doubt that the Dyna frame can be produced at a lower cost, but my remaining brain cells are telling me that the changes were primarily styling/market driven.

djkak

RedFXR2

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2006, 08:57:20 PM »

For the most part I think we're on the same page about the FXR/Dyna progression, so I think you're brain cell count is OK. :)

The FXR was designed by Buell and his sportbike-fan design team for the reasons stated, but you're right about the market pushback--a lot of HD "purists" didn't like the side covers and the visible frame members.  The FXR frames were much more time consuming  to assemble.  From what I've read, the FXR frames were all hand-welded from many more small pieces in a jig as compared to the Dyna frame (fewer, larger pieces that better lent themselves to automated welding processes).  Hence, greater manufacturing costs for the FXR.  It would stand to reason that HD would question 'why build a bike that costs them more to build when their customers don't like it anyway?'  So the Dyna was re-introduced and both Dynas and FXR's were built for a while until the FXR was discontinued after the 1994 model year.  I wasn't until later that folks other than true enthusiasts started realizing just what good handling bikes the FXR's really were.  Buell knew what he was doing about lightness, rigidity and efficient power transfer.  Look at photos of the XR-series HD racing bikes and you'll see the FXR-type frame.  He was a racing guy, but most HD buyers weren't and still aren't.

You're right that most HD buyers prefer style, so the Dyna was a win-win for the moco--give the buyers what they want for less manufacturing costs.  More profit for HD.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 08:59:25 PM by RedFXR2 »

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2006, 10:19:46 PM »

For the most part I think we're on the same page about the FXR/Dyna progression, so I think you're brain cell count is OK. :)

The FXR was designed by Buell and his sportbike-fan design team for the reasons stated, but you're right about the market pushback--a lot of HD "purists" didn't like the side covers and the visible frame members.  The FXR frames were much more time consuming  to assemble.  From what I've read, the FXR frames were all hand-welded from many more small pieces in a jig as compared to the Dyna frame (fewer, larger pieces that better lent themselves to automated welding processes).  Hence, greater manufacturing costs for the FXR.  It would stand to reason that HD would question 'why build a bike that costs them more to build when their customers don't like it anyway?'  So the Dyna was re-introduced and both Dynas and FXR's were built for a while until the FXR was discontinued after the 1994 model year.  I wasn't until later that folks other than true enthusiasts started realizing just what good handling bikes the FXR's really were.  Buell knew what he was doing about lightness, rigidity and efficient power transfer.  Look at photos of the XR-series HD racing bikes and you'll see the FXR-type frame.  He was a racing guy, but most HD buyers weren't and still aren't.

You're right that most HD buyers prefer style, so the Dyna was a win-win for the moco--give the buyers what they want for less manufacturing costs.  More profit for HD.

I haven’t followed Eric Buell’s career that closely, although it is my understanding that he began working for H-D in 1979. I believe that the FLT and XR750 chassis technology predate Eric’s career with Harley; the FLT being introduced in the 1979 calendar year; 1980 model year.

The FXR platform is a takeoff of the touring platform. This is similar to the 1971 FX platform’s relationship to the 1970 FLH. The FLT (touring) and FXR frame share similar construction of platform specific components. I would be very surprised to learn of a substantial cost disparity between the FLT / FXR frames during a time when both platforms were in simultaneous production. The FXR CVO’s are a different animal. I’ll bet that the non-current status of these frames made them very expensive and labor intense to build; quite possibly the most challenging aspect of producing that machine.

We may disagree here, which is ok, but I don’t believe that the production cost, relative to the FXR, was a driver in the development of the Dyna. It wouldn’t surprise me at all to learn that the Dyna cost as much or more than the FXR to produce and support. There are factors beyond the frame itself to consider; for example, producing a common FLT / FXR frame vs. the resources required to develop and support a new proprietary frame and powertrain for the Dyna platform.

It is expected that a well run manufacturing company will continuously explore methods to leverage new and existing technologies, with the goal of reducing development and manufacturing costs. “More profit for HD” only happens when everything comes together into a product that is embraced in the market.

I agree that the FXR frame is a rigid unit and that it makes a fabulous looking custom but there is something very attractive about the minimalist look of a machine without a lot of framework showing. Think of it this way; how would we look if our skeleton was uncovered and visible on the outside, loud and proud for all to see? Some of us might look across a crowded room and say “WOW…that girl’s got bone!” I prefer to leave a little of that to my imagination. Not what you’re thinking…cut it out. :)

djkak

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 24 queries.