Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: K&N air filter leaking Engine oil  (Read 876 times)

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
K&N air filter leaking Engine oil
« on: August 27, 2019, 08:39:38 PM »

Ok guys. How many times to you clean your K&N air filter in a year. I have put on 5,000 miles this year and have cleaned my filter twice due to oil at the bottom of the filter. I know when to clean it when I get a drop of oil on my timing cover.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 03:39:16 PM by ultra13 »

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
Re: K&N air filter7
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 10:06:21 PM »

I vented to the atmosphere to avoid the blow by drips. That being said, I clean mine when all the pink is gone or at the oil change intervals. It tends to go dry a little quicker here in the Texas summers. Can your air filter ever be too clean?
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 10:32:08 PM »

Ok guys. How many times to you clean your K&N air filter in a year. I have put on 5,000 miles this year and have cleaned my filter twice due to oil at the bottom of the filter. I know when to clean it when I get a drop of oil on my timing cover.

Is that a drop of oil motor oil, or air filter oil?  In my experience with K&N filters, the filter oil tends to collect at the bottom of the filter and the cover.  The tip off is the slight red color if you blot it with a white rag or paper towel.  Even if I'm very careful to not over oil the filter, I still get filter oil eventually collecting at the bottom of the cover.  When I installed a brand new element oiled by the K&N folks, it actually had more oil than what I'd been using.  That one left more than a few drops.

Anyway, I always cleaned and oiled the filter at the 5k service intervals when I was putting that many miles or more on the bike per season.  Now that I ride much less frequently, I just check the filter at the start of the season and if there are thin spots in the oil film I go ahead and service the filter.  You don't want thin or bare spots, without the oil film you really don't have much filtration.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 11:04:36 PM »

Yes the oil I see is Eng  oil. Just want to make sure that the Eng oil mess was not excessive.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 11:08:47 PM by ultra13 »

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 24 queries.