Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Does any one have advice for Shaking mirrors?  (Read 18567 times)

Andrea O

Does any one have advice for Shaking mirrors?
« on: June 03, 2007, 05:16:18 PM »

Hi All

I have a 07 fxdse and the mirrors shake pretty bad... does anyone have a solution ? :pepper:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Does any one have advice for Shaking mirrors?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 05:32:29 PM »

Hi All

I have a 07 fxdse and the mirrors shake pretty bad... does anyone have a solution ? :pepper:
Andrea O,
Welcome to CVOHarley glad to have you join us. :2vrolijk_21: When you get a chance you should go to this board - New Member Introduction and start a thread to introduce yourself.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

theslash

• Full CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHXSE
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 05:47:43 PM »

need for info. do you have stock bars and mirrors. do you have a smooth running engine.
do they move all the time are just when you are getting on the gas?????
SLASH

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 06:00:45 PM »

With my softail, one mirror would shake and then the other but I put that down to the counterbalancing of the TC88B motor.  Don't understand on the Dyna though, it's rubber mounted isn't it?

d o g o l s

• 1K CVO Member
  • *** ride save and have fun***

• CVO1: blue Thunder FLHTCUSE-4
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE-2 black-orange-Jester
    • CVO3: 2008 FXDB black
    • Harley Fan
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 02:22:19 AM »

Andrea O welcome aboard  :2vrolijk_21:

:worthless:

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 02:45:23 AM »

Good morning Andrea O,

I send you the  :welcome_005:  from FRANCE.

Best regards

:vrolijk_26:  Jacques
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 11:18:55 AM »

Hi All

Hi Andrea.

I would tighten them up with a wrench until they stopped shaking.  If they are shaking when your engine is turned off, and you live in Cali (?), its most likely an earthquake.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Big Al

• If not now, when?
  • Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2002 FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO3: 2024 RA1250SE
    • T. Allan Hamilton
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 12:24:07 PM »

Hi All

You got a lot of welcomes (but not a lot of help).  When you say shaking I assume you mean while riding at speed and you take your hands off the bars and then they shake, right?

The only choice I know is a bar snake (a little extra weight on the ends of the bars) to help change the natural vibration frequency.  However- with heated grips or internal wiring this may not work...Anyone else tried?

Al
Big Al
1999 FLHTCU/I w. Hack (Kaz' ride)- Sold
2006 FLHTCUSE- Hit a deer- Written off
2013 Tri-glide- Sold
2012 BMW K1600GTL- Commuter
2016 FLTRU Road Glide Ultra Limited- Sold
2024 RA1250-SE- CVO Pan America

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 12:46:26 PM »

Other things to check:
front motor mount
fuel injection program
Again, assuming it does this at idle
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

Smurfsdad

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 12:57:10 PM »

Andrea,
   I understand what you mean about the shake. When I left the dealer on my new FXDSE, riding on the interstate, I had to reach out and hold the left mirror while attempting to pass a vehicle ahead of me. That helped some. Without doing so, I could see nothing but a blur. The right mirror is bad too, but not quite as bad. My dealer suggested changing mirrors. They gave me my choice of any mirror in the HD catalogue. They are going to install them this week. They are also going to work on my fork lock that never worked. I requested that someone from the dealership take my bike out for a spin on the interstate after changing the mirrors to see how they work. I can't really believe that a mirror change will make a difference, but am willing to give it a try. It is VERY unsafe to go out in traffic with the shaking that is taking place now.

Smurfsdad
Smurfsdad

d o g o l s

• 1K CVO Member
  • *** ride save and have fun***

• CVO1: blue Thunder FLHTCUSE-4
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE-2 black-orange-Jester
    • CVO3: 2008 FXDB black
    • Harley Fan
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 01:13:22 PM »

start a thread to introduce yourself  :2vrolijk_21:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 03:35:38 PM »

Andrea,

Welcome!  While I don't have personal experience with the '07 SE Dyna, I have owned bikes with this same issue over the past 40 years and I fully understand your concern.  I did a little searching on the 'net and came up with a post from a different site regarding your issue that makes good sense:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"They are very much aware of the mirror vibration problem and are seeking a solution. It is caused by a combination of three factors - a very large stroked motor that shakes at lower RPM's - direct mount handle bars (no risers) - and slotted stem mirrors. They asked me to return my bike to my dealer and to have the dealer first insure nothing else was causing undue vibration (ie: wheel balance, motor bracket problem, etc) and if everything else was ok to then try different handle bar / mirror combinations to try and resolve the problem. They assured me that they would pay for finding a resolution to the problem. I'd suggest owners of the new FXDSE contact Harley Davidson Dyna Tech Department and discuss the problem with them. They will give you a Reference Number to give to your dealer with instructions for your dealer to contact them for detailed instructions on how to proceed.

At this point in time, HD does not want to do a full fledged recall as they dont think the problem is with 100% of the FXDSE's, but to instead handle the problems on a one on one basis until they can find out what is causing the excessive mirror vibration issue.
"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This has been an issue on many different Japanese bikes over the years, enough so that the aftermarket has designed dampers that install between the mirror stem and the handlebar bracket to alleviate the shake.  Unfortunately, those I am aware of have 10mm threads that only work with Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki etc.  If I come across any designed for a Harley I'll post the info later.

Jerry
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 07:30:31 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Jacktrician69

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 04:16:43 PM »

I have the same shaking mirror problem....I'm going to try a rubber washer on the top and bottom of the  mirror mount this week...I hope it calms it down...I'll keep you posted...I know I can't see anything during the day, much less at night with the shake I get !!  ???

fxdsegrl

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXDSE - Sold :(
    • CVO2: 2012 FLTRXSE
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2007, 04:26:45 PM »

I have the same problem with my bike.  The mirrors are pretty much useless, I don't like being in the lead because I can't see what is happening behind me  :o  I've just taken my bike in for its first service and they are going to see what they can do about the mirrors.  Like one person said call Harley to complain, they will do something.  It's not safe like they are.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 04:42:18 PM »

... "They are very much aware of the mirror vibration problem and are seeking a solution. ....
I'd suggest owners of the new FXDSE contact Harley Davidson Dyna Tech Department and discuss the problem with them. They will give you a Reference Number to give to your dealer with instructions for your dealer to contact them for detailed instructions on how to proceed.

At this point in time, HD does not want to do a full fledged recall as they dont think the problem is with 100% of the FXDSE's, but to instead handle the problems on a one on one basis until they can find out what is causing the excessive mirror vibration issue.
"...

I think the advice Jerry just gave you is the best advice.  Contact the HD Tech Department, let them find out how far spread the issue is and stick to that "It Is Not SAFE!" topic.  Lets hope they come up with a fast solution to this problem. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 24 queries.