Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: Does any one have advice for Shaking mirrors?  (Read 18651 times)

theslash

• Full CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHXSE
Re: Does any one have advice for Shaking mirrors?
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2007, 05:31:04 PM »

OK so it gets worst when we speed up. The motor or the engine mount is the problem.
sorry nothing you can do there but balance the motor are change the engine mounts if there is one thats has better dampening.
I just do not think new mirrors are the answer but good luck with that, hope it helps.

been there and done that

SLASH

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2007, 07:25:30 PM »

OK so it gets worst when we speed up. The motor or the engine mount is the problem.
sorry nothing you can do there but balance the motor are change the engine mounts if there is one thats has better dampening.
I just do not think new mirrors are the answer but good luck with that, hope it helps.

been there and done that

Actually, it probably has more to do with the mounting of the handlebars than the design of the mirror.  Correct me if I'm out in left field, but if I remember the bike I looked at in the showroom a couple months back, the bars are mounted directly to the upper triple tree without the rubber mounted risers like those on a regular Dyna. That will definitely transmit more vibration to the bars, and therefore to the mirrors. The ultimate "fix" will probably involve rubber mounting the bars and/or adding a damper to the mirrors.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

hdchic07

• '07 Dyna Street Bob
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2007, 09:07:14 AM »

ok, folks, here's the deal....we own one, and noticed from the first mile to mile 1050 that the mirrors shake.  We have called HD, have talked to the dealer, and even replaced the motor mounts....nothing is working.  For those that don't own one, or have not ridden one, you wouldn't understand.  Its not the typical "Harley vibration"....its bad enough that your hands will go numb after 20 miles of this.  When in idle, the whole front end shakes bad enough that you think its going to fall over. 

Now, above 2800rpms, it will clear up.  When I ride behind my husband, I can't see him in his mirrors, and I have ridden this bike as well......bout killed me!!  This is UNSAFE.  Why isn't HD doing anything?  What happens when the motor locks up (which I have heard has happened) and he is killed?  Or causes a major wreck? 

Yeah, I sound like at outraged b1tch, and I am....when you pay $27,000 for a bike, you expect it to ride right, not be junk. 
If you don't take that risk, how will you ever know?

theslash

• Full CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHXSE
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2007, 10:24:55 PM »

there are only two ways to make a vibration go away.
get as far away as you can from the cause or fix what making you shake.
Sounds like to me its the motor. You may not be able to fix this problem
so ask your dealer for a vrod they are the smoothest riding bike I have ever
been on.

and yes they will go fast

good luck sorry for your trouble
SLASH

hdchic07

• '07 Dyna Street Bob
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2007, 08:46:57 AM »

hehe.....well, I guess you're right, if you don't like what you've got, get rid of it.  The best bike the hubby ever owned was an FXR3, and he is working on getting rid of the SE and getting the FXR3 back. 

Thanx for taking the time to respond... 8)
If you don't take that risk, how will you ever know?

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2007, 08:58:59 AM »

I can understand that it is the motor in this case.

I have had and currently have a DWG and I made the mistake (IMO) of doing a big bore on the last one.  Really messed up the smoothness (Again IMO).

The big motor of the SE along with the light weight of the non-bagger doesn't give a lot of dampening to the entire package.

Sounds like it's a problem that the MOCO is working on, given our other issues that have eventually been resolved with complaints/pressure from owners, I can not stress enough that the calls to the MOCO hotline are most important.

Experience tells us that if you aren't a squeaky wheel, you won't get any/much help from the tech department at the MOCO.

Let them know it is a REAL issue.  And let them know it often.

BT

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2007, 09:07:19 PM »

A friend had the same problem on his 07 FXDSE and went to our local dealer and complained.  Said it was a safety issue so they swapped out the mirrors to a different type and apparently the problem went away. 

I know, I know   :worthless:

I'll get a picture and see if I can't get a part number.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 09:09:56 PM by BT »
West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (05)  Cripple Creek, CO (06) Nelson, BC (07) Sedona, AR (08) Hood River, OR (09) Pala, CA (10) Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Spokane, WA (12) Santa Fe, NM (13) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray, CO (15) Fortuna, CA (16) Victoria BC (23)

MITM
Eureka Springs (17)

theslash

• Full CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHXSE
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2007, 10:24:12 PM »

that's intersecting why would replacing fix the shake
that would mean the wind was the problem.
and I think the shake is at low speed also right
but maybe it will help
SLASH

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2007, 10:32:04 PM »

that's intersecting why would replacing fix the shake
that would mean the wind was the problem.
and I think the shake is at low speed also right
but maybe it will help

I went to the dealer yesterday getting some supplies and was looking at these mirrors on one of the dyna cvo's on the showroom floor. The mirror stem seems like a tuning fork the way it's constructed with the thin frame having a large hogged out hole in the center. I tapped the mirror stem with my finger on top and it seemed to me like it would carry a resonance of vibration from somewhere else.

Ceej

• HD C-ustomer V-ery O-ften
  • Elite CVO Member
  • You've found CVOHarley.com, Now seek counseling...
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2007, 10:42:25 PM »

sure fire fix for shaky mirrors - turn off the bike ;D
2004 SEEG
1995 FLHR
2000 FLSTF
1968 RSSS

Eagle Rider #1747

There really is a Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown........:)

cdog

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2007, 11:38:57 AM »

THERE MAY BE A FIX.

It's not the motor or the mirrors.   It's the front engine mount.  It needs shims.  This has worked on older models, and some newer models.

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58306   The fix.  $10.

FWIW, my 07 CVO Dyna shakes a lot, but its only at low rpms, and not terrible.  The mirrors do get blurry, but I'm usually looking ahead....Worst shaking is from 1,800 - 2,800 rpms.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 11:57:24 AM by cdog »
2007 CVO Dyna FXDSE, Rinehart Exhaust, PCIII.

Andrea O

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2007, 07:39:50 PM »

Wow !!! Thanks for the great response.... BTW if RPMS are above 3000 the mirrors smooth out.........

Smurfsdad

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2007, 10:50:03 PM »

Well I can't believe it, but the dealer replaced my stock FXDSE mirrors with a different style and I couldn't be happier. My dealer is an hour away from home and I asked the service manager to take my bike out on the interstate and check the mirrors before calling me to tell me it's done. Didn't want to leave the dealership with the same problem. I didn't think that just replacing the mirrors could fix the problem but I was happily mistaken.

Smurfsdad
Smurfsdad

fxdsegrl

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXDSE - Sold :(
    • CVO2: 2012 FLTRXSE
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2007, 02:58:20 PM »

I just had my first service done on the bike and my dealer replaced the mirrors at his cost.  Harley Canada says they don't know of any problems with the mirrors   :-\  The stock mirrors have the slotted stem on them and you can actually move them if you try to pinch the piece together.  The dealer thought if we had a solid stem it would help...  And it did!!  The new mirrors are 100% better, I can see clearly in the mirrors now.  The mirrors they replaced mine with are are 'Bullet Mirrors' part number 91657-02.  They still look good on the bike and you can actually see :)

Andrea O

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2007, 05:26:46 PM »

Hi guys...

Update I called HD (waited 60 minutes)  and they did give me a reference # to take to the Dealership to get new mirrors... I am going to try the bullet mirrors.  Will let you know how it goes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 21 queries.