Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any high speed wobbles here?  (Read 3908 times)

yellowted

Any high speed wobbles here?
« on: June 07, 2009, 09:28:01 PM »

riding home today i pressed into the 90mph range where i started to get a wobble going straight.  i am smooth upwards in the 70's but it feels that as i move faster i get a steady wobble.  i am going to possibly have the dealer check for balance in the front wheel when i can part with the bike for a few days.. thanks for any input. Andrew
2007 fxdse
2011 flhtc

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
Re: Any high speed wobbles here?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 09:37:21 PM »

riding home today i pressed into the 90mph range where i started to get a wobble going straight.  i am smooth upwards in the 70's but it feels that as i move faster i get a steady wobble.  i am going to possibly have the dealer check for balance in the front wheel when i can part with the bike for a few days.. thanks for any input. Andrew

What year bike?

:nixweiss:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

yellowted

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 09:39:50 PM »

07 fxdse

sorry
2007 fxdse
2011 flhtc

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 09:47:32 PM »

07 fxdse

sorry

After everything has been checked out and determined to be in order and the problem remains my advice would be,

Buy an 09 or don't go over 90.

SBB

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

maddog110

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 03:09:30 PM »

Had my 07 fxdse to 100 many times and a few times to 120 and climbing- steady as a rock at all speeds.Sounds like youve got something out of alignment or adjustment

NA_Dude

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 FLHTCUSE4 (Stage 3, Fatcat, Thundermax Tuner)
    • CVO2: '07 FXDSE (sold) (Fatcat, SEST)
    • CVO3: '10 FLSTSE (Fatcat, Thundermax Tuner)
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 01:29:16 AM »

I bust into 3 figures on a regular basis. I have not noticed anything other than what I expect. Slight front lift above 100, increasing with speed. I have not pushed past 120 on the FXDSE.
NA Dude :coolblue:

marshall10

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHX
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 02:37:59 AM »

I've taken my 09 FLHX to 120 with no speed wobble, if you have saddle bags check t make sure they have even weight in them and that they are mounted identical. Other than that I would check simple problems first, tire pressure, tire condition, steering head, etc. Also it is possible that you thought you had a speed wobble, but it was just a bad patch or pavement( had that happen once at 65 ). Good luck  diagnosing it.
Anyone can piss on the floor, but Chuck Norris can crap on the ceiling.

yellowted

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 06:30:59 PM »

thanks for the information.  i have only called the dealer about it and their response was get a stabilizer.  i have been led to believe the stabilizer mostly affects high speed cornering so the bike tracks on course.  the dealer also stated that the bike lifts a bit and this is "normal".  i still have warranty.  I have had the dealer replace the front tire once for a bubble and i am bit of a skeptic of whether or not there was possible wheel damage in addition to the bubble.  the thicker washer on the head has been replaced.  i don't think i can say the problem started after anything but i am likely go to do allignment first then balance and so forth.  nothing feels unsafe unless i explore the north east side of the speedo.

thanks, andrew
2007 fxdse
2011 flhtc

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 06:28:04 PM »

thanks for the information.  i have only called the dealer about it and their response was get a stabilizer.  i have been led to believe the stabilizer mostly affects high speed cornering so the bike tracks on course.  the dealer also stated that the bike lifts a bit and this is "normal".  i still have warranty.  I have had the dealer replace the front tire once for a bubble and i am bit of a skeptic of whether or not there was possible wheel damage in addition to the bubble.  the thicker washer on the head has been replaced.  i don't think i can say the problem started after anything but i am likely go to do allignment first then balance and so forth.  nothing feels unsafe unless i explore the north east side of the speedo.

thanks, andrew

Run.....don't walk......to another dealership! :2vrolijk_21: 
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

maddog110

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 09:59:43 PM »

That wide glide front end should never need a stabilizer

yellowted

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 07:47:50 PM »

i finally took my bike to a good indy shop for some research on the shakes.  he checked alignment, front end tightness, motor mounts tires, etc.  he noted that the rear tire has a slight uneven wear in it that can be felt while walking the bike forward or backwards on a flat surface but felt this should not be that noticeable at speed.  the only other thing he noticed is a bit more vibration than normal which he said was probably coming from the crank.  He wished me luck on having harley admit that the crank needs to be replaced.  he suggested that i pay more attention to the movement on the motor for any changes and have fun with the bike.  i trust his opinion and will just have to keep it at normal speed limits.  All i was concerned for was something out of whack and he stated it is a tight bike and he wished he found something to fix.  thanks again,

andrew
2007 fxdse
2011 flhtc

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 25 queries.