Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Transmission and crankcase drain plug locations.  (Read 10851 times)

Bakerjj

Transmission and crankcase drain plug locations.
« on: August 09, 2012, 06:51:10 PM »

I just purchased an 07 FXDSE and had a Sportster before. I want to change the fluids but I'm not sure of the transmission and crankcase drain plugs locations. I noticed 2 hex head or Allen head plugs in a bottom pan and was wondering which one was what. I know where the primary is. Also the hex/Allen head on top of the transmission is the fill point for the tranny? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Transmission and crankcase drain plug locations.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 07:13:52 PM »

I just purchased an 07 FXDSE and had a Sportster before. I want to change the fluids but I'm not sure of the transmission and crankcase drain plugs locations. I noticed 2 hex head or Allen head plugs in a bottom pan and was wondering which one was what. I know where the primary is. Also the hex/Allen head on top of the transmission is the fill point for the tranny? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

This is from memory, so I can't guarantee total accuracy.  The engine oil drain plug on a Dyna is on the left (jiffy stand side) of the oil pan, and it's facing to the side.  The transmission drain plug is on the right side of the oil pan and it faces the ground.  And yes, the cap with a large internal hex (allen wrench) on the right side top is the dipstick and filler location.  Both drain plugs get torqued to 18 ft-lb, get some extra O-rings for the plugs when you go by a dealer and keep them on hand.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Bakerjj

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 08:41:25 PM »

That's what I thought and just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the info Jerry. I will change the fluids out over the weekend.

kurtlange

• Full CVO Member
  • chrome me
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 08:22:07 AM »

does this help??

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 09:19:20 AM »

does this help??

Nope.  That is a photo of an older model Touring setup, and doesn't apply to a Dyna.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 24 queries.