Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How does the stock exhaust sound?  (Read 5003 times)

cvogeorge

How does the stock exhaust sound?
« on: May 02, 2015, 09:05:37 PM »

I am thinking about trading in my 2011 CVO. I was wondering what you thought about the sound of the stock exhaust on the new 2015s? If you replaced your exhaust what did you go with?

cvogeorge

Re: How does the stock exhaust sound?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 09:58:51 PM »

I originally posted this in the Road Glide Ultra CVO thread. The question is for the 2015 Road Glide Ultra CVO. Thanks.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 10:02:56 PM »

All Harley stock exhaust sound horrible IMO
Alan

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 10:35:54 PM »

I have a new RGCVO and I rode it for a couple thousand before changing the baffles. It sounded OK, best thing is you could hear the radio without headsets, conversation with passengers was great. I changed my baffles to 1.75" Fulsac's with the screens and it is not much louder but If I hadn't already done it I wouldn't. But then I am getting old. Noise no longer makes me excited, especially after a couple hours of riding.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 10:36:46 PM »

The question is subjective to say the least.  It's an exhaust question.  Not a RGU question.  Twenty owners will give you twenty different answers.  Moved your thread so you'll get more responses when the Limited owners could join in.  The bikes are nearly identical but for the fairing. 

I loved the stock sound of my RGU.  Changed the header and baffles to go with a TTS / Fullsac Stage 1 kit.  It's a little louder now.  Sounds great but slight interference with music.   

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

cvogeorge

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 11:33:49 PM »

I have the Fullsac X pipe and 2 inch baffles on my 2011 RGU and like the sound, especially under acceleration. One of the main reasons I went with the Fullsac was to get rid of the cat to help with the heat. It was cooking my right leg. Is there a heat problem with the 2015? How much cooler does it run with the twin cooling?

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 11:43:02 PM »

All Harley stock exhaust sound horrible IMO

Exactly what I used to think til I got this bike last year. A Harley just isn't a Harley til you put a nice set of pipes on, but for some reason the new '14s actually have a much better sound to them than the 3 previous Harleys I've had before this bike. I actually put 2 or 3k miles on this before installing the Pro Pipe last fall and still enjoyed it, but now it's no comparison. This is my first 2-1 on any Harley and the sound blew me away the first time I heard it, like love at first site. I am sold on the Pro Pipe for life now ... love it so much that some days I don't even turn my stereo on.
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 01:07:43 AM »

Exactly what I used to think til I got this bike last year. A Harley just isn't a Harley til you put a nice set of pipes on, but for some reason the new '14s actually have a much better sound to them than the 3 previous Harleys I've had before this bike. I actually put 2 or 3k miles on this before installing the Pro Pipe last fall and still enjoyed it, but now it's no comparison. This is my first 2-1 on any Harley and the sound blew me away the first time I heard it, like love at first site. I am sold on the Pro Pipe for life now ... love it so much that some days I don't even turn my stereo on.
I do the same thing with my Boarzilla's though I really dont have to turn off my stereo to hear them. I have been renting different Harley's while I wait to get my 124 in and installed and this weekend I have a new Roadglide Special and I will admit that though its obviously way to quiet for my tastes, it does have a very nice sound to it when you can hear it. I definitely agree with Greg that if you ask 20 different Harley riders of any model what exhaust sounds good you will get 20 answers which is what is so great about Harley riders in the first place! many of the guys I ride with dont ride Harleys (most ride BMW's) and though a couple of them think my bike sounds great, most of them are always on me about how insanely loud and obnoxious my bike is which I do get a kick out of!
Alan

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 11:29:39 AM »

Stock Exhaust is just keeping the EPA Happy !!! Change the pipes and it will Run and Breath much better.
DND

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset - "quotquotTournado"quotquot
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Frosted Ivory/Vintage Gold "quotquotTrigger"quotquot (traded-in)
    • Elegant Solutions Inc. dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 11:20:08 PM »

I traded my 2011 FLTRUSE for the new 2015 version. The new bike in stock form sounds "mo bettah" than the stock 2011 ......but is a bit too civilized to leave in place. I'd gone the 1.75" Fullsac Stage one route with the 2011 and after a few long road trips fell victim to the "hammering sound" of the 110 motor (for perspective, I've been on SS for awhile now LOL). Changed my 2011 pipes to Kuryakyn mellow crushers and that was a bit easier on my ears ......but not much.

After this summers road trip, I've decided to try the street legal Screamin' Eagle High Flow Exhaust System with Nightstick mufflers (#64800022). Heard it's "too quiet" on a 96 or 103, but a positive comment from a CVO 110 owner. Apparently you can "adjust" the sound by adding/removing discs. I'd sure love to hear impressions from anyone who's running that setup.
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.
dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com

2015 FLTRUSE:
Road Glide Triple SPLITSCREENS vent protection;
SE High-Flow Exhaust Sys w/4.5" Street Cannons & SE-585 cam;
Rockouts + S&S Premium lifters;
HD Premium Ride Front Fork + rear RWD RS-1 Adjustable Touring Shocks;
Fuel Moto Dynojet Power Vision Tuner & Wide-Band Target Tune;
6.5GTS BOOM! Audio Stage II 2 amp/4 spkr system;
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;
Tour-Pak Ultra Brace by eGlideGoodies

cvogeorge

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 11:33:54 PM »

How is the heat from the cat? The 2011 with the cat was extremely hot, especially down here in South Texas. Was better with the Fullsac headers but still hot. Would run about 263 degrees midday when 100 outside.

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset - "quotquotTournado"quotquot
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Frosted Ivory/Vintage Gold "quotquotTrigger"quotquot (traded-in)
    • Elegant Solutions Inc. dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 12:30:45 AM »

Yes, the heat from my 2011 was unbearable ......one of the reasons to go with the Fullsac system. The TC 2015 is worlds better .....very tolerable actually ......I only notice when riding in shorts ;D!
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.
dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com

2015 FLTRUSE:
Road Glide Triple SPLITSCREENS vent protection;
SE High-Flow Exhaust Sys w/4.5" Street Cannons & SE-585 cam;
Rockouts + S&S Premium lifters;
HD Premium Ride Front Fork + rear RWD RS-1 Adjustable Touring Shocks;
Fuel Moto Dynojet Power Vision Tuner & Wide-Band Target Tune;
6.5GTS BOOM! Audio Stage II 2 amp/4 spkr system;
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;
Tour-Pak Ultra Brace by eGlideGoodies

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 25 queries.