Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: M8 mufflers that don’t kill bottom end  (Read 5324 times)

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RG Ultra
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI (Brandywine)
M8 mufflers that don’t kill bottom end
« on: October 04, 2018, 10:00:04 AM »

My ‘17 Road King with the 107 has a Fulsac head pipe and K&N breather. Dyno tuned by Jason at C&S in metro east STL. Bike runs great, no issues. I had CFR’s and it had a very noticeable dip in the 2,000-3,000 RPM range. Noticeable in both the dyno graph and the butt dyno. I went with 2” Fulsac cores in the stock muffler housings and that torque dip is definitely gone. However, the sound is very anemic. The sound is just about like stock. I have respectfully named the bike a Yamahog. With that said, is there a muffler set out there that has enough back pressure to keep the torque in the low rpm band and make it actually sound like a Harley?
Carterville, (Southern) Illinois (that would be 350 miles south of Chicago)

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

Re: M8 mufflers that don’t kill bottom end
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 01:20:48 PM »

My ‘17 Road King with the 107 has a Fulsac head pipe and K&N breather. Dyno tuned by Jason at C&S in metro east STL. Bike runs great, no issues. I had CFR’s and it had a very noticeable dip in the 2,000-3,000 RPM range. Noticeable in both the dyno graph and the butt dyno. I went with 2” Fulsac cores in the stock muffler housings and that torque dip is definitely gone. However, the sound is very anemic. The sound is just about like stock. I have respectfully named the bike a Yamahog. With that said, is there a muffler set out there that has enough back pressure to keep the torque in the low rpm band and make it actually sound like a Harley?

IMO the SE Street Cannon's are often overlooked

I'd ask Jason,, he's a pro at what he does.... MKE 8's are exhaust finicky  :-\
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 07:30:54 PM »

I had the RC Components on mine when I bought it new. Then added the RC Components Tormentor head pipe. I really like the looks of it. But it REALLY made the slip ons loud! So I purchased and installed the SE Street Cannons. For me it is the perfect combo of power and exhaust note. JMHO.
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 05:29:19 PM »

The low-end TQ dip with the FS header and CFRs was caused by the lack of restriction (resulting in a lack of "back pressure") in that setup.  Of course, it also gives plenty of volume, like racing pipes.

Now, with the non-cat FS header and the 2" baffles, you still have a low-restriction header but a semi-restrictive muffler.  It gives enough restriction to maintain TQ at the low end, but naturally it loses volume.

The upshot:  the laws of physics require a certain amount of restriction to keep the low-end TQ, either in the header and/or the mufflers.  Since the mufflers are designed specifically to reduce sound volume, the solution is to get a more-restrictive header and a muffler designed to "tune" the sound and not reduce the volume so much.  A good setup would be the stock header paired with the CFRs (or any megaphone type muffler; mine only cost $185--enough restriction to keep low-end TQ, with mufflers that have good quality sound and high volume.  This will get you much closer to what you want, although it won't be as loud as the FS header with CFRs.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

MakoCVO

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 07:33:03 PM »

The low-end TQ dip with the FS header and CFRs was caused by the lack of restriction (resulting in a lack of "back pressure") in that setup.  Of course, it also gives plenty of volume, like racing pipes.

Now, with the non-cat FS header and the 2" baffles, you still have a low-restriction header but a semi-restrictive muffler.  It gives enough restriction to maintain TQ at the low end, but naturally it loses volume.

The upshot:  the laws of physics require a certain amount of restriction to keep the low-end TQ, either in the header and/or the mufflers.  Since the mufflers are designed specifically to reduce sound volume, the solution is to get a more-restrictive header and a muffler designed to "tune" the sound and not reduce the volume so much.  A good setup would be the stock header paired with the CFRs (or any megaphone type muffler; mine only cost $185--enough restriction to keep low-end TQ, with mufflers that have good quality sound and high volume.  This will get you much closer to what you want, although it won't be as loud as the FS header with CFRs.

I was going to replace the head pipe, mufflers, and add a tuner.  But, i'm thinking now I just may leave the stock head pipe and put SVT BoneShakers on my bike. 
2019 CVO Road Glide
2018 Anniversary Breakout - sold
1995 Fat Boy - sold

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 01:01:11 AM »

I was going to replace the head pipe, mufflers, and add a tuner.  But, i'm thinking now I just may leave the stock head pipe and put SVT BoneShakers on my bike.
will you be able to use stock heat shields with that? I have the same questions as you
Alan

MakoCVO

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 08:11:46 AM »

100%.  I have pics of the install on my exact bike w/SVT's. 
2019 CVO Road Glide
1995 Fat Boy - sold

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road King - Traded In
    • CVO2: 2019 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 05:01:01 PM »

Kuryakyn crushers gave me a torque curve that comes straight up off of idle and stays extremely flat through the power curve. Just dont get the crusher maverick's Steve with GMR Performance recommended them a few years ago.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 11:16:41 PM »

100%.  I have pics of the install on my exact bike w/SVT's.
Can you post those pics please?
Alan

MakoCVO

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 09:22:37 AM »

Can you post those pics please?

Here you go:
2019 CVO Road Glide
1995 Fat Boy - sold

MakoCVO

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2018, 09:23:13 AM »

2019 CVO Road Glide
1995 Fat Boy - sold

MakoCVO

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2018, 09:23:36 AM »

2019 CVO Road Glide
1995 Fat Boy - sold

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2018, 11:45:05 PM »

Thanks!
Alan

walstibsf

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2013 FLSTFB
    • CVO3: 2016 MOTO GUZZI
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2018, 08:17:06 PM »

Hey, peeps, I know its 11:45 for this thread, but.....JB, what I've done on every set of FULLSAC baffles I've owned is cut off the portion of pipe that continues past the rear flange of the baffle.  This makes a nice echo chamber out of your 4" endcap and gives it a "big boom" sound in MHO.   YMMV, but worth a thought

Laters...and happy thanksgiving everyone!

Bobby
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 08:21:42 PM by walstibsf »
W  A  L  S  T  I  B  S  F..................................

what a long strange trip its been..........SO FAR

podman

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2019, 12:02:41 PM »

IMO the SE Street Cannon's are often overlooked

I'm getting ready to purchase an '19' SERG, previous owner put the SE Street cannon's on, i have Fullsac on my 12 SESG and love them, but you have me thinking now..are you happy with the cannons?
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 24 queries.