Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: D&D Removable Baffles 2-1 pipes  (Read 10718 times)

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE (concord)
D&D Removable Baffles 2-1 pipes
« on: March 25, 2007, 07:06:17 AM »

Just wanted to update everyone that the baffles are removable on the 2-1 pipes that I put on my 07. Seems there are some wrong info going around this site from previous post that baffles are welded in.Someone heard from Steve at AMS that they are not removable and I was also told this from my local dealer. Last week when I spoke to Mark at D&D he said they are removable and they are simple to replace and you do not have to re tune and quite baffle will gain you more TQ . Well yesterday the quite baffle arrived and fifteen minutes later swap was complete and I am very pleased with sound and performance. The stock baffle at 65-80mph was overwhelming on my hearing. This quite baffle louvered is part #502-32 at $129.00

TimBone

• Elite CVO Member
Re: D&D Removable Baffles 2-1 pipes
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 10:50:45 AM »

Sky,
How did you remove the baffle?  Does it just pull out or do you need a slide hammer or gizmo like that.  I just ordered the D&D pipe with the Std Baffle and may swap it for the Quiet too if I don't like the sound.
Thanks,
TimBone

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 11:38:59 AM »

Remove the muffler from bike. Remove rear bolt that holds baffle in and get a chunk of scrap pine wood. Yes I know :-X  I layed wood on top of work bench and held muffler in hand and tap down on wood with end of muffler. Came right out far enough to get pilers on baffle lip and pulled out. New fiberglass wraped baffle slid back in with no problems. This is what Mark at D&D told me to do for removal. I too was going to use slap hammer and do swap on bike but there is no place for jaws to grasp. I was hesataing on the wood method  :o but it works with no problems to chrome. I did use a little antiseize on reasemble.

That stock baffle was just to loud for me at 65-80 mph on long trips. Maybe Its a sign of getting old. My ears would ring afterwards for quite sometime. The performance baffle has to be ear splting at that speeds. Goodluck with your system. It has to be the easiest one I ever installed.

103Eagle

• Full CVO Member
  • Always Lookin fer sumtin but dunno what!
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 05:23:48 PM »

Heck, ya outta try doin 800+ miles a day with the Performance Baffle,  its even louder than the regular baffle.  Even with ear plugs my ears rang for 3 hours afterwards!  I just changed to the quiet baffle but was advised from D & D I may need a re-tune.  Changing from the regular baffle to the quiet, no re- tune needed according to D & D.  I will have it up on the dyno shortly and do a baseline to see what she looks like with the perf baffle map and go from there.  Ol girl seems to run just fine with the perf map in it but dyno will show a/f ratio.  The perf baffle is different than the regular baffle and I do not think you can interchange them.  The screw that locks the baffle in place is in a different position than the regular and quiet baffle styles.  Best thing about the quiet baffle is I can hear my radio much better,  no my ears can ring from the tunes! 

:2vrolijk_21:
2004 FLHTCSE, HD Race Tuner, D-D Performance Fat Cat Exhaust, Ghost Pipe, SE High Flow Air Cleaner, Detachable King Tour Pak, RCA Lyra MP3 player and some chrome goodies! 2009 Street Glide

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 06:43:09 PM »

Heck, ya outta try doin 800+ miles a day with the Performance Baffle,  its even louder than the regular baffle.  Even with ear plugs my ears rang for 3 hours afterwards!  I just changed to the quiet baffle but was advised from D & D I may need a re-tune.  Changing from the regular baffle to the quiet, no re- tune needed according to D & D.  I will have it up on the dyno shortly and do a baseline to see what she looks like with the perf baffle map and go from there.  Ol girl seems to run just fine with the perf map in it but dyno will show a/f ratio.  The perf baffle is different than the regular baffle and I do not think you can interchange them.  The screw that locks the baffle in place is in a different position than the regular and quiet baffle styles.  Best thing about the quiet baffle is I can hear my radio much better,  no my ears can ring from the tunes! 

:2vrolijk_21:
No Thanks on the performance baffle ride >:(If you or anyone else needs the stock D&D baffle just pm me. Thanks John

icybay

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: (2) 2004 SEEG B&B's ECoast & WCoast
    • CVO2: 2000 FLTRSEI B/O/W
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 07:14:50 PM »

John,  Thanks for the report. I heard differing reports on installing the new baffle, glad to hear it was easy. I was even considering changing back to the old SE Slips Ons, as I always liked the sound except I would have to get new headers with the O2 bungs,  but I am willing to give the quiet baffle a try. I will be ordering my quiet baffle tomorrow.

Another good example to have  the Auto Tune, no new dynotune needed for the exhaust change, makes it pretty easy to fork out only 129 bucks for the muffler and not another 300 to get it tuned.

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '05 SEEG/'06 CUSE/'07 SERK/'09 SERG (ALL SOLD)
    • CVO2: '09 CVO Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz (SOLD)
    • CVO3: '11.5 CVO Ultra Classic Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 07:45:31 PM »

I may have been the one that reported that the baffles couldn't be changed out because that is what Steve at AMS did tell me.  Sorry if I passed along bad info, but I had nothing but good reports on Steve.  My guess is that he got bad info from someone.

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 08:04:37 PM »

I may have been the one that reported that the baffles couldn't be changed out because that is what Steve at AMS did tell me.  Sorry if I passed along bad info, but I had nothing but good reports on Steve.  My guess is that he got bad info from someone.
Steve also told me the same thing when I ordered ghost pipe last October that baffle was not changeable along with my dealer? He was also the one that sent me the ghost pipe without the middle mount. So I not sure Steve is real up on his facts. Its strange because I heard nothing but good remarks from fellow cvoers. I got to thinking this is a way for them to make more of a buck off these baffle change just sell us the whole muffler? Stealer's would not do that :o Anyway glad to get to the bottom of this baffle change.

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 09:36:34 AM »

Has anybody told Steve?  He didn't strike me as the kind of guy that would intentionally pass along bad info.

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 12:04:49 PM »

I live just outside FTW and know Steve. He is one of the good guys.  I think the problem is from D&D's side.  Several people answer phones there, and all seem to answer questions differently. You have to specifically ask for the tech dept for better info.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 01:03:08 PM »

I live just outside FTW and know Steve. He is one of the good guys.  I think the problem is from D&D's side.  Several people answer phones there, and all seem to answer questions differently. You have to specifically ask for the tech dept for better info.

I called and talked with Steve.  I told him that his reputation was being tarnished and that I was defending him.  He said that he's been telling folks for about 6 to 8 months that the baffles are not removeable and that they are welded in place.  He said that this is what D&D had told him.  Steve is going to call D&D and talk to their tech folks and call me back.  I'll provide another post after I get the scoop from Steve.

icybay

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 06:11:01 PM »

Well I just ordered my quiet baffle, but first I had to get a stern warning (twice) from Steve that it was do it at your own risk, there was a 50% failure rate in the conversion.  It can't be that hard to do it right without damaging the can.

Anyone do this and screw it up, and what did you do wrong??? Don't be bashful.

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2007, 10:00:06 AM »

icybay,How many miles do you have on your 2&1 or how long have they been on bike?

Mark at D&D also said if seems stubborn spray some penetrating oil around the baffle at both ends.

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2007, 10:21:56 AM »

Here's the email that I received from Steve at AMS, the email that he received from Mark at D&D, and the instructions that they provided on the baffle change out.  Note that they are very clear about taking no responsibility with problems associated with this baffle change out.  It would appear to me that they don't really recommend this and definitely don't provide any warranty with it.

Email from Steve Pool at AMS
    Enclosed is note from Mark and baffle replacement instructions from him.  Please note there is no warranty expressed or implied with this operation.  The installer assumes all risk.  I'm sorry for any confusion I may have caused, I was just passing on the instructions from D&D. 

Y'all Ride Safe,
                                                                                        Steve Pool - Mgr

Email to Steve from Mark in Tech Services at D&D
Steve,
Sorry about the difficulties with the people. Be sure to explain to them that any damage from the changing of baffles will be their problem and not ours as they are difficult to remove and install. They do this at their own risk.

Mark, Tech Services
WWW.DANDDEXHAUST.COM
danddexhaust@msn.com

Instructions for Baffle Removal

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2007, 10:24:33 AM »

I'm trying again on the instructions to see if I can get a better copy posted.

icybay

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2007, 10:16:11 PM »

I just removed my baffle-piece of cake. It has been installed for about 2,500 miles and one year.

First I soaked the back end of the pipe where it was carboned up with solvent and then penetrating oil, then cleaned out as much carbon as I could with steel wool.  Then I tried the pound it out with a 2X2, too small, so  I cut a 2X4 to just fit inside the front of the pipe, laid the muffler down on a few towels on the work bench, and popped the baffle right out with a small sledge. 

Now if I just had the replacement quiet baffle I'd be done.

I would say that the main problem would be trying to pound the baffle out without having cleaned out all the carbon, as it is a fairly tight fit in the barrel. Also having the maximum diameter piece of wood helps, as the baffles are sharp and a slightly smaller piece of wood will just get wedged in tighter and tighter as the baffles are sharp and will rasp off the corners of the wood.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 10:19:14 PM by icybay »

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2007, 05:32:57 PM »

I just removed my baffle-piece of cake. It has been installed for about 2,500 miles and one year.

First I soaked the back end of the pipe where it was carboned up with solvent and then penetrating oil, then cleaned out as much carbon as I could with steel wool.  Then I tried the pound it out with a 2X2, too small, so  I cut a 2X4 to just fit inside the front of the pipe, laid the muffler down on a few towels on the work bench, and popped the baffle right out with a small sledge. 

Now if I just had the replacement quiet baffle I'd be done.

I would say that the main problem would be trying to pound the baffle out without having cleaned out all the carbon, as it is a fairly tight fit in the barrel. Also having the maximum diameter piece of wood helps, as the baffles are sharp and a slightly smaller piece of wood will just get wedged in tighter and tighter as the baffles are sharp and will rasp off the corners of the wood.
Just learned today you can wrap your own baffle with fiberglass. Boy that would saved a few dollars :o Do not know were you would get the fiberglass that mufflers use but Im sure some here does?

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member
  • Good Bye Milk Dud! Hello Black Beauty!

• CVO1: 06 SEUC Black Candy Crimson
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2007, 09:53:19 PM »

There seems to be some terminology that is confusing me.  There is a performance baffle, a standard baffle and a quiet baffle? 

Are there three types or two?? :confused5:

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2007, 01:24:33 PM »

There are actually three that can be ordered. But on the standard baffle you can make it a quite baffle by wrapping it with fiberglass yourself thus making it a quite baffle. As long as your standard baffle is louvered. Hope this helps.

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member
  • Good Bye Milk Dud! Hello Black Beauty!

• CVO1: 06 SEUC Black Candy Crimson
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2007, 07:52:23 AM »

It does, thanks.  I suspect I have the unwrapped one.  Man, I LOVE THESE PIPES! :xyxthumbs:

icybay

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2007, 11:03:55 AM »

Finally got my quiet baffle and installed.  About a 20 minute job, including putting the muffler on twice due to putting the clamp on backwards.

It makes a huge difference at cruise, I think the stereo is at about half the volume setting as with the regular baffle. I can even talk to the passenger without having her yelling "WHAT???" everytime.

But not to worry- it is PLENTY loud under full throttle, can't tell the difference between that and the old baffle, and the idle has a great sound also. ;D ;D ;D

IMO well worth the money, can't see why I would ever put the regular baffle back in. Mine was not louvered, so I don't think it would work wrapping it with fiberglass.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 21 queries.