Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gen 2 Zippers Products - What would you do ??  (Read 1909 times)

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
    • Taillight Solutions
Gen 2 Zippers Products - What would you do ??
« on: April 05, 2007, 11:16:22 PM »

WHAT WOULD YOU DO ??

Ok, so Zippers has upgraded / re-designed their ECM's and Auto-Tune modules to generation 2 technology. I purchased the TMAT in early January 2007 which included the Gen 1 ECM and AT Module. After reading that the Gen 2 ECM was available with the compression release capability I contacted them and they sent me a new ECM for swap out. However, they did not ship me a gen 2 modular auto-tune module which is now designed to mount directly to the new ECM as opposed to being forced to mount the module somewhere else on the bike near the ECM. I really like the new auto-tune module and would like to upgrade it.  It concerns me that I have only had this setup for around three months and they completly re-designed the module AND they upgraded my ECM but did not upgrade the AT module that matches and mounts directly to the new ECM.

Question 1 - Has anyone here been able to get Zippers to upgrade their auto-tune module from the old design to this new design ? If so, how did you go about getting this done and who did you speak with over there ?

Question 2 - Would any of you go back to Zippers and request an exchange / upgrade or would you leave it alone and accept the fact you purchased a product while it was still being engineered and developed ???
 :huh2:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 11:19:04 PM by copout221 »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Gen 2 Zippers Products - What would you do ??
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 12:53:57 AM »

WHAT WOULD YOU DO ??

Ok, so Zippers has upgraded / re-designed their ECM's and Auto-Tune modules to generation 2 technology. I purchased the TMAT in early January 2007 which included the Gen 1 ECM and AT Module. After reading that the Gen 2 ECM was available with the compression release capability I contacted them and they sent me a new ECM for swap out. However, they did not ship me a gen 2 modular auto-tune module which is now designed to mount directly to the new ECM as opposed to being forced to mount the module somewhere else on the bike near the ECM. I really like the new auto-tune module and would like to upgrade it.  It concerns me that I have only had this setup for around three months and they completly re-designed the module AND they upgraded my ECM but did not upgrade the AT module that matches and mounts directly to the new ECM.

Question 1 - Has anyone here been able to get Zippers to upgrade their auto-tune module from the old design to this new design ? If so, how did you go about getting this done and who did you speak with over there ?

Question 2 - Would any of you go back to Zippers and request an exchange / upgrade or would you leave it alone and accept the fact you purchased a product while it was still being engineered and developed ???

C.O., we get what we buy when the vendor has it.  If we wait for the all time latest version we'd never buy anything.  I personally don't think we can really expect a vendor to swap us new for old everytime they do an upgrade.  If so they'd all but stop doing upgrades.

From what I've read of both units the differences are primarily physical; how they mount.  Not what they do.  If mine died later I'd install whatever was the latest version of the replacement then.  As long as it works, however, I'm not about to pull it back apart and remove perfectly good parts just because a new one mounts a bit more neatly.

Rhino

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 12:59:44 AM »

WHAT WOULD YOU DO ??

YES AND YES    EVEN SWAP,  from unit bought in Octobr 2006, never used it, called Zippers and sent gen 2.  I think they may be on backorder. One piece, like the picture in zippers website.

Rhino

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 01:06:26 AM »

I'm planning on getting the new Gen2 shortly. With it being attached to the ECM it should cut down on wind resistance and therefore give me a slight edge over Rhino's bike.
AJ (soontobefasterthanRhino)

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• Taillight Solutions
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 01:07:28 AM »

Well it can't hurt to ask...The worst they can do is say NO.

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• Taillight Solutions
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 10:27:17 PM »

Kick A$$ !!! Zippers sent me an all in one TMAT without charging me a cent. So I spent $500.00 more dollars on cams and pushrods !!! It was the least I could do  :2vrolijk_21:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007, 04:07:05 AM »

Kick A$$ !!! Zippers sent me an all in one TMAT without charging me a cent. So I spent $500.00 more dollars on cams and pushrods !!! It was the least I could do  :2vrolijk_21:

That's a potentially hazardous precendent for them to set.  Good thing for Zippers my bike is all back together and, short of failure, I ain't taking anything apart again except for normal service until the snow flies.

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• Taillight Solutions
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 08:39:20 AM »

That's a potentially hazardous precendent for them to set.  Good thing for Zippers my bike is all back together and, short of failure, I ain't taking anything apart again except for normal service until the snow flies.

Actually, part of the decision to send me a gen 2 unit was because I was having a strange issue with the gen 1 ecm flashing my oil pressure light from time to time. So when I asked about the gen 2 he didn't hesitate to agree to an upgrade since they were going to exchange it anyway. The only thing is that the this new ecm looks "beat up" with some scratches and minor exterior flaws. Knowing my luck it is a refurb  :huepfenlol2:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 08:44:31 AM by copout221 »

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 10:01:38 AM »

I purchased my T Max with AT from Zippers in late December - but I knew an upgrade was in the works - so when I made my original purchase, I asked them to commit to swapping for the complete upgrade when it came out.

When the new upgrade eventually did come out, it took a couple of phone calls to get to the right person who remembered the commitment they had made, but eventually we swapped my original purchase for the upgrade of both the module and the AutoTune.  I paid for the shipping costs both ways (returning mine to them and for them to ship the upgrade) - which I thought was more than fair.

Scott
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2007, 11:47:24 AM »

Actually, part of the decision to send me a gen 2 unit was because I was having a strange issue with the gen 1 ecm flashing my oil pressure light from time to time. So when I asked about the gen 2 he didn't hesitate to agree to an upgrade since they were going to exchange it anyway. The only thing is that the this new ecm looks "beat up" with some scratches and minor exterior flaws. Knowing my luck it is a refurb  :huepfenlol2:

That seems completely understandable.  An ongoing issue that suggests replacement of the product would allow the latest directly interchangeable version of that product when it was replaced.  I'm still not ripping mine apart just to change for parts that mount prettier though.  There's only such much initiative a guy is supposed to have.  Don't want to use up my limited amount for fixing things that aren't broken  :huepfenlol2: .

TimBone

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 08:55:42 AM »

I dig my Gen II from Zippers. 
CopOut, what cams dig you get for your 110?

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 21 queries.