Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Arlen Ness Big Sucker  (Read 7004 times)

Scrrem

• Full CVO Member
  • 2005 FLHTCSE2
Arlen Ness Big Sucker
« on: May 21, 2007, 07:01:55 AM »

Considering installing the Arlen Ness Big Sucker to rid myself of the spitting oil syndrome. Those of you running with them, what model did you buy and can you still use the OEM air cleaner cover?
Scrrem

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
Re: Arlen Ness Big Sucker
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 09:58:25 AM »

Hi Scrrem,
I have the Stage1 Arlen Ness Big Sucker with chrome backplate. Sorry i don't have the exact part number handy now but you can find it on the Arlen Ness website. Using the stage 1 you can use the factory air cleaner cover. The stage2 version has a thicker filter and the cover does not fit well.
So far I do not have any oil blow by but I have not been riding for awhile since my operation. I think the big sucker helps some but I don't think it's the cure-all based on other things like proper oil level,riding style and other remedies discussed here under oil blow by threads.

Scrrem

• Full CVO Member
  • 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 12:23:21 PM »

Hi Scrrem,
I have the Stage1 Arlen Ness Big Sucker with chrome backplate. Sorry i don't have the exact part number handy now but you can find it on the Arlen Ness website. Using the stage 1 you can use the factory air cleaner cover. The stage2 version has a thicker filter and the cover does not fit well.
So far I do not have any oil blow by but I have not been riding for awhile since my operation. I think the big sucker helps some but I don't think it's the cure-all based on other things like proper oil level,riding style and other remedies discussed here under oil blow by threads.
Thanks VAEAGLE.  I did check the Alen Ness Website, I was just hesitant, there was one stated on kit that stated specifically that they did not fit with the 103 motors.  I may just call them.
Scrrem

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 01:39:40 PM »

From looking at the Arlen Ness site I think the part number you will need is 18-507 if you want the chrome backplate. It is the stage1 and lists for $139.95

http://shop.arlenness.com/store/productdetail.asp+SID+1+Category_ID+56+Product_ID+6985

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 05:49:45 PM »

Considering installing the Arlen Ness Big Sucker to rid myself of the spitting oil syndrome. Those of you running with them, what model did you buy and can you still use the OEM air cleaner cover?
Scrrem
I don't think that this over K&N filer with SE backplate will help anymore for spitting or air intake ( had initially and pieces look interchangealble with above) and latter will cost less unless you just want the Arlen Ness brand. john
Rinehart TD
103 with zipper 575 GD cams
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Traxxion dynamics front end
Stage 1 SE AC

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 08:38:48 PM »

The ness has a built in passage way on both sides of the back plate vs. the screaming eagle that uses the black plugs that go over the breather bolts from the head.   You will not see any difference in regards to the misting of the oil from the heads, but the way its handled in my opinion is a bit better.  The K&N and Ness Filter are virtually the same by looking at them and the stock cover will work with this air filter. 

The question is where / when are you seeing all the misting after hard riding / hard accellerations or all the time?
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE (concord)
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 09:42:28 PM »

You still can use your stock air cover or whatever you used before. Chances are you will still get mist at high speeds-rpms. My 04 did this at 80mph and beyond. :'(

Scrrem

• Full CVO Member
  • 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 09:30:37 AM »

The question is where / when are you seeing all the misting after hard riding / hard accellerations or all the time?

Well, It's kind of hard to say.  I do get it on high speed (which I expect), but it seems like I get it with around town driving as well.  I have just cleaned my air filter, so I don't see it for a few rides until the lower portion of the filter gets sauturated with oil.  Then it drips pretty regular.  I may have to pull my filter after each ride to check the status.
Screem

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 11:58:52 AM »

Well, It's kind of hard to say.  I do get it on high speed (which I expect), but it seems like I get it with around town driving as well.  I have just cleaned my air filter, so I don't see it for a few rides until the lower portion of the filter gets sauturated with oil.  Then it drips pretty regular.  I may have to pull my filter after each ride to check the status.
Screem

Do you keep your oil level completly full all the time?  Number one cause of puking oil out the breather is high oil level in crankcase.  Try running 1/2 quart low and see if it doesn't improve.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 12:05:46 PM »

Do you keep your oil level completly full all the time?  Number one cause of puking oil out the breather is high oil level in crankcase.  Try running 1/2 quart low and see if it doesn't improve.

Terry, by the end of the trip, I was down 1/2 qt. of oil on the dipstick, and started at 3/4. So I'm happy with oil consumption and the puking doesn't impact oil use much at all. Just enough to be annoyingly messy. I'm going to disconnect the hoses from the backplate and route them to the ground. My beautiful blue air cleaner is also a mess from the oil. Rerouting these lines will clean everything up. Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Scrrem

• Full CVO Member
  • 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 12:46:23 PM »

No not at all. I started out at 1/2 and after a days ride, I am down to about 1/4 so I am relatively certain I don't have it overfilled.  I have ordered an A.N. Big Sucker stage I.  I know it won't solve the puking oil issue, but for the moment I would like to at least keep the oil from getting on my motor, bags etc.  I am really starting to think the cam plate is mis-alianed.  I may have to get the stealer to take a look. I rode my 99 FXDWG for 50,000 miles and it never did this once.  >:(
Scrrem

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 01:44:46 PM »

No not at all. I started out at 1/2 and after a days ride, I am down to about 1/4 so I am relatively certain I don't have it overfilled.  I have ordered an A.N. Big Sucker stage I.  I know it won't solve the puking oil issue, but for the moment I would like to at least keep the oil from getting on my motor, bags etc.  I am really starting to think the cam plate is mis-alianed.  I may have to get the stealer to take a look. I rode my 99 FXDWG for 50,000 miles and it never did this once.  >:(
Scrrem

That is the second leading cause, according to the article I read. Some even come that way from the factory. The Doherty Mist Free stuff works well if the problem persists, though nothing is going to completely eliminate the problem, especially in these stroked engines.  Like you, I don't want the stuff all over my bag...if it contains itself to the cam cover, it's not a big deal.  Helps keep the passenger's leathers well conditioned   ;D
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 21 queries.