Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Race Tuner or Power Commander?  (Read 3610 times)

My103

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Race Tuner or Power Commander?
« on: May 29, 2007, 08:45:05 PM »

Hi all,
Having an issue and would like some imput from my fellow CVO owners.

I have an 05 FLHTCUSE2 which I bought from a friend in November.
When he purchased the bike he had the dealer install VH true duels and when he had it I would notice a back fire on the up shift move, now that I have it and have added about 2200 miles on it am noticing a more frequent back fire, again on the throttle off/upshift move and more as the motor gets hotter than when i first leave the shed.
The bike still has the stock air cleaner which would lead me to believe the dealer never mapped out the bike before they delivered to my buddy,
So, I have made an appointment to have the SE Stage One Air Cleaner and have them remap the bike.
While speaking to the Harley shop the service guy mentioned also doing a Race Tuner, by the time I’m done I'd be looking at about $900.00 that would be fine however after speaking with fellow riders most have had Power Commanders instead of Race tuners. Friends who have chosen the Race Tuner say they did so because Harley stated that the Power Commander will jeopardize the ECM. Can any of you add anything to this now more confusing topic

Mac

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Race Tuner or Power Commander?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 08:49:09 PM »

Mac, don't pick.  At least don't pick yourself.

You personally don't tune either device.  You pay someone too.  So find the best tuner within whatever distance you're willing to travel.  Ask him/her/it/they which they prefer.  And use whatever it is they like. 

The only other alternative would be if you wanted to avoid the tuning part and trust a canned map.  I've got a good map for a Power Commander for an 05 103 with V&H duals and the Stage I air cleaner and download. 

Having said that, no map from another bike will be as good on your bike as having it tuned itself. 

My103

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 09:27:34 PM »

Twolanerider,

Thats my problem at this point, I don't know which one to choose and I have someone I reliey on saying the power commander is the choice.
You have the setup I am considering. Does or did your bike have any of the issues that I mentioned in my first post and did your current setup solve those issues?

Mac

196HOG

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 10:17:31 PM »

Power Commanderm is way to go - runs great 

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 10:28:48 PM »

Twolanerider,

Thats my problem at this point, I don't know which one to choose and I have someone I reliey on saying the power commander is the choice.
You have the setup I am considering. Does or did your bike have any of the issues that I mentioned in my first post and did your current setup solve those issues?

Mac
Is the one saying the Power Commander is what you should go with the one that is going to be tuning your bike? If not go with what the one that is tuning your bike recommends. More then likely what they (tuner) recommends is what he/she is going to be most familiar with and in turn will get you the best tune for your bike.

Also realize that the map that Twolane has was dyno tuned specifically for his bike. What will run at the optimum on his bike may/may not run the same on another bike w/exact same set up. This would be the same as getting a canned map from any other source it's going to be close and better then no map, but it may/may not be the best tune for your bike. Unless you are using something like the Thundermax Autotune that will automatically tune your bike as you ride I would suggest having it dyno tuned.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 10:32:29 PM »

Twolanerider,

Mac

Mac, I never had any driveability or other tuning issues with mine.  But I had something in the mix that made sure that was the case.  A patently excellent tuner close by.  So almost immediately my bike had its pipes and air cleaner, got its Power Commander and was tuned by artist.  Ran great.  No issues.

It's not about the choice of the Power Commander or SERT as a device.  It's not about the guy riding the bike.  It's about the guy tuning it.  That's the only factor that should really factor in to your decision.

Everyone here will have some variant of an opinion.  No one here has your specific options for tuners.  Find out who is best in your area.  It's often not the dealerships (though it might be).  Talk to HOG members or riding groups or guys at indie shops.  Someone.  But do the homework.  Then talk to whomever it is that's supposed to best.  Then get whichever he tells you to get.  Then you'll be able to stop worrying about it and start riding it.

You do have one other option.  There is a device called a Thundermax.  Rather than a Power Commander piggy backed to your ECM or a SERT programming within the ECM the Thundermax replaces the ECM.  The Thundermax has available to it an autotune module.  When installed completely and correctly this system tunes the bike as you ride it.  No more outside tuners or dyno time. It will also adjust the bike to changes you might make later (within a certain range).  So no dyno time later when exhaust gets changed (again) or other things happen.  Just an alternative....

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 10:35:50 PM »

Wow!!! Don't the two last posts sound like brothers from different mothers. :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 10:37:47 PM »

Wow!!! Don't the two last posts sound like brothers from different mothers. :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

I thought I felt something crawling around up inside my head.  I just didn't realize it was you D00d  :huepfenlol2: .

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 06:05:37 AM »

Very nice you two...I think that they hit the nail on the head...look for a reputable tuner then let him discuss options with you.  If you have more than one option for tuners in your area then speak to both and see if you can talk to anyone who has gone to them...preferably one with the same bike, if not set up.   Regarding the PCIII jeopardizing your ECM the PCIII does not really do anything directly to the ECM it kinda takes what the ECM puts out and re-maps the signal to alter many different things like air to fuel ratios (AFR) and many more based on RPMs and the parts on the bike.  You must "tell" the PCIII what you have on the bike and by dyno testing some of the intangible differences of engines can be tuned to maximize HP/TQ.  The SERT actually REPROGRAMS your ECM.  If you would like to switch it back to the one the MoCo put in then you need to go back to a dealer or have him download it for you.  The reprogramming of the ECM is done by the SERT interfacing via a laptop or desktop and a USB port.  The maps that they refer to are either canned...based on predetermined configurations and bike types or specific to your bike which takes in to effect all that makes it MAC'S bike, there are many ways of doing that but unless you are an engineer and/or have the patience of Mother Teresa it is better to pay for someone to tune it for you, based on dyno readings.  There is a ton of information available if you want to get more into the weeds but I think I will stop while I am not too far gone.  Suffice to say that both outshine the other; just depends on who you talk to. 

Seegarz :-\ :-X ??? :'( :nixweiss:

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 09:26:56 AM »

I can't say more then the Don and Gary have said...heed to what they have told you...many miles and years of experience between those "brothers of different mothers."  My dealer was comfortable with either for putting on the dyno, but would not put the PCIII on my bike because, at the time, it didn't suport the O2 sensors. They weren't recommending the PCIII to anyone until it did.  The SERT is more "fine tuneable" then the PCIII, but if you get a tuner that's good, they both will give you outstanding results.  The PCIII is more "user friendly" then the SERT, in that you can play with it a little more, but I wouldn't recommend playing with the SERT unless you're a good tuner yourself and have a dyno handy.  The SERT is a little more expensive and as Seegarsmkr said, it does over-write the ECM on the bike, whereas the PCIII is a piggy-back device and doesn't directly affect the ECM.  It's tough choice if you want to go that route.  Personally, I'll be replacing my ECM sometime in the future for the Thundermaxx AutoTune and let it do the work of finetuning the bike and save the dyno time and costs.

Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
  :devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 09:59:24 AM »

Don & Gary said it - the tuner knows best what he can tune best - so choose your tuner then go with their recommendation.  Seegars & Red are right on target as well.

I have 2 SEERTS, since that is what my tuners were most familiar with.  It does offer more flexibility in tuning, but the trade off is more $$$$.  For me, HP & TQ and rideability are worth the $$$$.  Know folks just as pleased with their PC, so it is very subjective.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2007, 09:46:03 AM »

I have a SERT on one bike and a PC3 on the other. Both work fine. SERT is probably better for 07 models till Dynojet releases their closed loop unit.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2007, 11:33:30 AM »

Hi all,
Having an issue and would like some imput from my fellow CVO owners.

I have an 05 FLHTCUSE2 which I bought from a friend in November.
When he purchased the bike he had the dealer install VH true duels and when he had it I would notice a back fire on the up shift move, now that I have it and have added about 2200 miles on it am noticing a more frequent back fire, again on the throttle off/upshift move and more as the motor gets hotter than when i first leave the shed.
The bike still has the stock air cleaner which would lead me to believe the dealer never mapped out the bike before they delivered to my buddy,
So, I have made an appointment to have the SE Stage One Air Cleaner and have them remap the bike.
While speaking to the Harley shop the service guy mentioned also doing a Race Tuner, by the time I’m done I'd be looking at about $900.00
that would be fine however after speaking with fellow riders most have had Power Commanders instead of Race tuners. Friends who have chosen the Race Tuner say they did so because Harley stated that the Power Commander will jeopardize the ECM. Can any of you add anything to this now more confusing topic

Mac
Mac,

For $900, I would seriously consider one of the "auto-tune" systems such as the ThunderMax or Daytona Twin-Tech units.  The big advantage would show up down the road, when you never have to pay for another dyno tune even if you make additional modifications.  JMHO

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2007, 08:55:43 PM »

While I like the idea of a closed loop system for a lot of reasons, there are some initial pitfalls that I don't think are really being brought up.  First off unless you have an exact match to a map for the hardware installed in the bike for an existing map you will most likely need some tweaking or a map made/ tune.   I am seeing this problem atm with a map that is supposed to be close.   In my case the timing is off from the cam chosen in the map to the cam being used as well as exhaust was different.  The fuel is setup around what runs best with the map cam vs. the one I have in the bike.   In my case I will most likely tune it out myself, but the average person may not have that ability or intention.   I would not say that setting up a closed loop system is just as easy as plugging it in and running it.   In the case of the Daytona Twin Tec you have to do some map making and tweaking.  In the case of the Thundermax while they have a lot of canned maps made they do not have many made for other solutions other than their own.   They can give you great starting points, but that is what they are.   
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2007, 09:46:01 AM »

I agree. :2vrolijk_21: I had my bike Dyno-tuned for almost six hours by a competent tech. What I got was no decel popping, a flat torque curve from 2000 rpm-5000 rpm, usable torque of over 100 from 1800 rpm, peak torque of 121.5 and 102.5 hp. This was with only bolt-on mods. The SERT needs someone experienced to adjust the map correctly. With the numbers I'm getting and the performance in actual riding, I wont be doing any internal mods. Thats worth $800 to me!!!
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2007, 06:03:18 PM »

Like many of the previous posts say - either one can get you there.  But I've had two very reputable dealers who I have confidence in tell me that the ecm can tell if there has ever been a PC installed and this could be a warranty issue depending on what failed.

And while I've personally used PCs with great success I've also had some problems.  On the old twin cams with the MM injection before Delphi the PC had to mount under the left side cover and a very large cable ran to the ecm on the right.  After a couple years the cable got chaffed and it really screwed my bike until I figured the problem.

And just last month a buddy (who does all his own wrenching) and just completed a build and had a PCIII installed 6 months ago started experiencing runability problems - lean condition.  The tuner checked the PC and it was fine.  But after new fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel lines, injectors and throttle body guess what?  They finally determined the PC was the culprit.  For my $$ I just wouldn't take a chance with an add on. I'd go for the SERT any day.  Just my $.02.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 10:14:01 PM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2007, 07:31:18 PM »

......But I've had two very reputable dealers who I have confidence in tell me that the ecm can tell if there has ever been a PC installed and this could be a warranty issue depending on what failed......

I recall hearing about the Power Commander leaving evidence of its install in the OEM ECM…EIEIO; sorry.

Last winter there was some discussion here on this subject and I remember saying I would try to confirm one way or the other whether this occurs with the PC; I’ll get right on that. The problem is that I have a great memory, it’s just real short.

djkak

My103

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2007, 10:50:39 PM »

Mac, don't pick.  At least don't pick yourself.

You personally don't tune either device.  You pay someone too.  So find the best tuner within whatever distance you're willing to travel.  Ask him/her/it/they which they prefer.  And use whatever it is they like. 

The only other alternative would be if you wanted to avoid the tuning part and trust a canned map.  I've got a good map for a Power Commander for an 05 103 with V&H duals and the Stage I air cleaner and download. 

Having said that, no map from another bike will be as good on your bike as having it tuned itself. 

How can I get that Map? the one posted I cannot open

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2007, 11:22:07 PM »

Just tried it.  It downloaded fine.  Then opened with the software for the PCIII fine also.  Give it a shot once more.  At this link:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=10147.0
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 09:23:05 AM by Twolanerider »

candybrandy-rk

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2007, 09:21:16 AM »

I like the SERT just for the idea that is not a piggyback system.The changes are directly made to the ECM.

On another note besides the tuning- some popping is often caused by exhaust leaks . It is a good idea to use Ultra Copper high temp sealant at the inlet of the mufflers.
Good luck on whatever you choose!
C.B.
2002 candy brandywine.power commander III.arlen ness big sucker.thunder cones

My103

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2007, 02:49:30 PM »

Twolanerider, Do you know your Tq and Hp readings and is it possible to get a faxed copy of your Dyno graph.
My problem now is that I have had the PC installed the SEstage1 air cleaner and before the Dyno we were gettinf 83 HP(Stock) after we were only getting 86. The tuner had a problem getting the probe through the VH pipes.
E-mail me direct.

Mac
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 21 queries.