Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Race Tuner or Power Commander?  (Read 3608 times)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Re: Race Tuner or Power Commander?
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2007, 06:03:18 PM »

Like many of the previous posts say - either one can get you there.  But I've had two very reputable dealers who I have confidence in tell me that the ecm can tell if there has ever been a PC installed and this could be a warranty issue depending on what failed.

And while I've personally used PCs with great success I've also had some problems.  On the old twin cams with the MM injection before Delphi the PC had to mount under the left side cover and a very large cable ran to the ecm on the right.  After a couple years the cable got chaffed and it really screwed my bike until I figured the problem.

And just last month a buddy (who does all his own wrenching) and just completed a build and had a PCIII installed 6 months ago started experiencing runability problems - lean condition.  The tuner checked the PC and it was fine.  But after new fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel lines, injectors and throttle body guess what?  They finally determined the PC was the culprit.  For my $$ I just wouldn't take a chance with an add on. I'd go for the SERT any day.  Just my $.02.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 10:14:01 PM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2007, 07:31:18 PM »

......But I've had two very reputable dealers who I have confidence in tell me that the ecm can tell if there has ever been a PC installed and this could be a warranty issue depending on what failed......

I recall hearing about the Power Commander leaving evidence of its install in the OEM ECM…EIEIO; sorry.

Last winter there was some discussion here on this subject and I remember saying I would try to confirm one way or the other whether this occurs with the PC; I’ll get right on that. The problem is that I have a great memory, it’s just real short.

djkak

My103

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2007, 10:50:39 PM »

Mac, don't pick.  At least don't pick yourself.

You personally don't tune either device.  You pay someone too.  So find the best tuner within whatever distance you're willing to travel.  Ask him/her/it/they which they prefer.  And use whatever it is they like. 

The only other alternative would be if you wanted to avoid the tuning part and trust a canned map.  I've got a good map for a Power Commander for an 05 103 with V&H duals and the Stage I air cleaner and download. 

Having said that, no map from another bike will be as good on your bike as having it tuned itself. 

How can I get that Map? the one posted I cannot open

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2007, 11:22:07 PM »

Just tried it.  It downloaded fine.  Then opened with the software for the PCIII fine also.  Give it a shot once more.  At this link:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=10147.0
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 09:23:05 AM by Twolanerider »

candybrandy-rk

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2007, 09:21:16 AM »

I like the SERT just for the idea that is not a piggyback system.The changes are directly made to the ECM.

On another note besides the tuning- some popping is often caused by exhaust leaks . It is a good idea to use Ultra Copper high temp sealant at the inlet of the mufflers.
Good luck on whatever you choose!
C.B.
2002 candy brandywine.power commander III.arlen ness big sucker.thunder cones

My103

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2007, 02:49:30 PM »

Twolanerider, Do you know your Tq and Hp readings and is it possible to get a faxed copy of your Dyno graph.
My problem now is that I have had the PC installed the SEstage1 air cleaner and before the Dyno we were gettinf 83 HP(Stock) after we were only getting 86. The tuner had a problem getting the probe through the VH pipes.
E-mail me direct.

Mac
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 21 queries.