Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: D & D FATCATS  (Read 3858 times)

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
D & D FATCATS
« on: January 30, 2008, 12:08:09 PM »

Anybody try replacing the baffle on the Fat Cat? I have the quiet baffle as a backup & thinking of putting it in. Very tight fit & worried about buggering up the end.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: D & D FATCATS
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 12:15:34 PM »

Anybody try replacing the baffle on the Fat Cat? I have the quiet baffle as a backup & thinking of putting it in. Very tight fit & worried about buggering up the end.

When buying a set recently spoke with the very helpful people at D&D several times with various questions.  One discussion was to discover how easily or difficult the baffle change was on their muffler.  Summary of the chat from two guys who had changed several was that it's not always easy and you can dent the cannister or bugger up the end.  Real easy.

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 12:41:51 PM »

Thanks TwoLane. D&D just e-mailed me the procedure& one of the comments was BE CAREFULL not to damage the muffler housing because its not covered under warranty. I'm going to pull the pipe to-nite to try & get the sucker out. You may see a damaged D&D for sale under articles for sale tomorrow!

ggraves427

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's a clean machine.
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 02:29:30 PM »

When I use to get the baffle out of my Cushman Eagle, I would use a coathanger and squeeze the loop together and then bend a hook at one end so that you have a hook consisting of two pieces of wire.  The baffle had a place that I could hook to, then I would then stick a hammer in the loop of the coathanger and hit the end opposite the hook and get the baffle out.  Might still work on your bike I don't know.
2004 B&B, SEEG, Power Commander, S&S dual runner to single bore Tuned Air Induction System , D&D Performance 2 into 1 with fake left side, spoiler lights, LED lights, air horns, front fender spear, chopped tour box, in dash oil temp. guage

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE (concord)
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 09:38:04 PM »

Changed my standard baffle with out any problems using D&D instructions. Went to quite baffle and big the difference in decibels and low end power were you feel it the most. Anyone looking for a standard baffle its yours. Very simple change.

StreetDog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE RED STREET GLIDE
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHXSE SPICED RUM
    • CVO3: 2007 FLHRSE3 RAZOR RED
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 10:24:05 PM »

Just pulled mine off Friday to see how hard it would be to remove the baffle. Going to change to the quiet baffle. Removed the right saddlebag first, then the two bolts holding the cannister to the saddlebag bracket. Next loosened the bolt that attaches the cannister to the header pipes. Comes off VERY easy. Next I placed some heavy cardboard on top of a block of soft wood. I was excepting this step to be difficult but in fact after easily tapping the end down on the wood once the baffle slide out to the end, and one more tap and I pulled it out the rest of the way by hand. Took about 15 mins. total. What a pleasent surprise. Order the new one and should be here tomorrow. Standard baffle for sale.

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 04:14:42 AM »

Well King dog sounds like yours came out easy. I am never that lucky. I'm  gonna pull out this weekend when time allows. Not a lotta time during the week. Thanks guys.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 05:58:00 AM »

:drink: :vrolijk_11:
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 06:34:19 AM »

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 06:41:32 AM »

Did you get your Fat Cats yet?

It might be a June thing.  I want to see and/or hear others 1st.  I might need to meet up with you sometime for a ride before then.  I'm expecting a bonus check in early May and that may take care of it for me.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 06:54:49 AM »

Sounds like a plan. Looks like you're only a tank of fuel away.

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 08:22:14 AM »

When I use to get the baffle out of my Cushman Eagle, I would use a coathanger and squeeze the loop together and then bend a hook at one end so that you have a hook consisting of two pieces of wire.  The baffle had a place that I could hook to, then I would then stick a hammer in the loop of the coathanger and hit the end opposite the hook and get the baffle out.  Might still work on your bike I don't know.

Thanks for the post. I did the same thing on my V&H's on a diiferent bike but the D&D's don't have anything to hook to. I'm going to resort to banging it out as per D&D's instructions. If it doesn't come out easy I won't force it. I'll get a BIGGER hammer.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 12:16:18 PM »

Thanks for the post. I did the same thing on my V&H's on a diiferent bike but the D&D's don't have anything to hook to. I'm going to resort to banging it out as per D&D's instructions. If it doesn't come out easy I won't force it. I'll get a BIGGER hammer.

The D&D folks told me that "sometimes" they come out easy.  And sometimes they don't.  They really left me with the impression that "easy" was the less common though.

I was just glad to find a dealer that stocked the unit new with the quiet baffle as OE.  It cost a few bucks more than the standard part number.  But less than the cost of the standard unit plus the extra baffle.  And I didn't have to worry about dinging anything.

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 04:14:48 AM »

Well, I had some extra time last night & pulled the exhaust to do the baffle switch. It couldn't have gone better. I used diesel fuel as a lubricant as opposed to WD40 as I think it is better for this particular purpose. After pouring diesel in between the baffle & the casing the baffle literally fell out after two taps. Inserted the new baffle & re-installed.Entire job with reinstalling the baffle was 45 minutes tops. :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

StreetDog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE RED STREET GLIDE
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHXSE SPICED RUM
    • CVO3: 2007 FLHRSE3 RAZOR RED
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008, 12:15:14 PM »

How do you like the sound difference. Can you feel any difference in the ride quality sound wise and power wise?
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 3.929 seconds with 21 queries.