Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rinehart Baffles Removal/Fitment  (Read 8747 times)

jim70

Rinehart Baffles Removal/Fitment
« on: August 25, 2010, 10:58:53 PM »

I have a set of True Duals on my '99 Roadking. I'm about to replace the standard baffle with the performance type. My end caps came off without effort, but is there a preferred way to get the baffle itself to come out..break loose?
Not much of a lip on the inlet end of the current stock baffle to do and tapping.
Any help or suggestions appreciated.
Jim

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
Re: Rinehart Baffles Removal/Fitment
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 11:10:33 PM »

I have a set of True Duals on my '99 Roadking. I'm about to replace the standard baffle with the performance type. My end caps came off without effort, but is there a preferred way to get the baffle itself to come out..break loose?
Not much of a lip on the inlet end of the current stock baffle to do and tapping.
Any help or suggestions appreciated.
Jim

In my experience, grab it with some channel locks or vice grips and attempt to twist it back and forth a little at a time until it comes loose. The front of the baffle is stuck inside the front of the muffler.

Some have taken the muffler off of the bike and found a piece of pipe to insert inside the front end of the muffler and then tapped it out. BE CAREFUL if you elect this option.

ONCE YOU HAVE IT OUT and before reinstalling it put a small amount of anti-seize grease on the front outside portion of the pipe. Then it will come out a whole lot easier next time.  
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 11:21:57 PM by CVOStreetglide »

jim70

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 11:17:23 PM »

I've tried that however I may be poised to get a little more aggressive to break some movement at the fit. It would be ideal if I can keep the slip-ons intact on bike.
Did u change over to a performance baffle by chance?...your findings with this change??...loud?..acceptable?..
Thx

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 11:26:23 PM »

If youhave to get more aggressive I strongly recommend that you take them off of the bike. Some serious damage can occur to the heads or headers if you bend and pry too much on the bike. You can use the straw on a can of WD-40 and lube the front end of the baffle, let it sit for awhile and then try the wiggle routine again.

It's a matter of taste of course but if you have some decent cams I happen to like a little more noise at idle and going through the gears.

I am not a fan of those who see fit to constantly rev the motor at stop lights.

Regards

Jerry 
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 11:32:33 PM by CVOStreetglide »

gg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 Orange & Black
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 (Traded for 09 CUSE4) CUSE4 Sold 2012
    • CVO3: FXSTDSEI/ FLHRSEI2 (SOLD 2005)
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 03:18:00 PM »

JIM70, you also need to make sure the baffles are not tack welded in some small way to the muffler shell. If they are welded, you will need to grind the weld out. Be very cautious and shine a very bright light into the exhaust end of the muffler to see if find any tack welds holding the baffle to the shell. If it is welded, there are other topics covering baffle removal. good luck

captain_jeb

• Junior CVO Member
  • Hunne B

• CVO1: 2012 Citrin
    • CVO2: 2010.5 Crimson mist/Dark slate
    • CVO3: 2007 SE2 Midnight Blue/Blue Pearl
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 04:41:51 PM »

A whole lot of patience. I have had some come out without a problem. Others I have had to take the muffler off and sit it on a piece of wood, spray WD-40 and then let sit a little while (overnight is usually good). Then use a an old piece of header pipe to slide into the muffler. Or use a large chisel to loosen it. If they been on a while you need a lot of patience. I have tried with some success using a slide hammer, like they use in body shops, to break the baffle loose.
Klock Werks 8.5
Fullsac cores, 2"
SE Pro super tuner
Custom dynamics LED turn lights and smoke lay down tail light
No good deed goes unpunished!

jim70

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 08:04:02 PM »

I managed to get them out...PB Blaster as well as a bit of pull with some clamped visegrips.
The install,obviously straight forward,but the baffles MUST be at least 100% flush with end of slip-on or the the endcap will not fully fit, and hence the allenhead screws will not align....A very precision design for an exhaust system.
They sound fine..just a bit louder but very tolerable..
Thanks all..   

captain_jeb

• Junior CVO Member
  • Hunne B

• CVO1: 2012 Citrin
    • CVO2: 2010.5 Crimson mist/Dark slate
    • CVO3: 2007 SE2 Midnight Blue/Blue Pearl
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 05:07:41 PM »

Good work. Must have had your tongue in the right place.. :oops:
Klock Werks 8.5
Fullsac cores, 2"
SE Pro super tuner
Custom dynamics LED turn lights and smoke lay down tail light
No good deed goes unpunished!

jim70

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 12:03:44 AM »

Thanks. If all fails, read the instructions first!..but in this case, some genuine experience from others prevails... They are a nice sounding set of pipes. Mellow at idle, yet very pronounced when you open up. Thanks all.

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 06:31:24 PM »

Thanks. If all fails, read the instructions first!..but in this case, some genuine experience from others prevails... They are a nice sounding set of pipes. Mellow at idle, yet very pronounced when you open up. Thanks all.

I sure hope you took the time to put some anti seize compound on the baffle ends so they will come out a whole lot easier the next time.  
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 03:54:06 PM by CVOStreetglide »

jim70

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 06:45:21 PM »

Sure did...Thanks.

Page created in 1.013 seconds with 22 queries.