Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Any opinions on these Samsons?  (Read 5318 times)

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
Re: Any opinions on these Samsons?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 11:26:53 PM »

As I stated in the original post, the sound that you hear in videos is not exactly accurate.  I have noted very "tinnny" sounds from almost all exhaust that I have heard on the PC.  Do I have any regrets?  I would say, it is not exactly a regret but I would have liked for them to be louder.  I have written to Rinehart to ascertain whether their alternate baffle that they list on their site is louder.  I haven't heard from them yet.  I am contemplating doing some mods (cuts) on the baffles myself...  Haven't made that decison yet.

If you go to the touring forum over at hdforums, on page 3 there is a thread on the 4" Rineharts. On page 16, there is a video of a member that put in the hi perf baffles, as he was unhappy with the standard baffles. Check it out- sounds real nice to me.
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 08:55:23 AM »

MARINE AVIATOR!

I have the Rinehart system on my 110, right now the bike is stock with a ThunderMax tuner, the full Rinehart system, highflow aircleaner........AND the performance baffles that you asked about.  I ordered them that way so I don't know what the other baffles sound like, but I was thinking of switching to the Boss Fat Cats, but I can't give up the sound or the look of the Rinehart system.  I like the way the rear head pipe flows versus the others that cover the engine, and the SOUND is fantastic.  I can hear music at highway speeds, but when i let her breathe i have been told it's hard to be behind me?  I would recommend the performance baffles if you aren't happy with the stock baffles.  Rineharts tend to get louder as you put miles on them too!
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

Marine Aviator

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 10:34:10 PM »

MARINE AVIATOR!

I have the Rinehart system on my 110, right now the bike is stock with a ThunderMax tuner, the full Rinehart system, highflow aircleaner........AND the performance baffles that you asked about.  I ordered them that way so I don't know what the other baffles sound like, but I was thinking of switching to the Boss Fat Cats, but I can't give up the sound or the look of the Rinehart system.  I like the way the rear head pipe flows versus the others that cover the engine, and the SOUND is fantastic.  I can hear music at highway speeds, but when i let her breathe i have been told it's hard to be behind me?  I would recommend the performance baffles if you aren't happy with the stock baffles.  Rineharts tend to get louder as you put miles on them too!
Thanks for the info, I am going to order the peformance baffles soon since I have nothing else to do with all of this snow still on the ground.  Hope that cures my desire for loudness. 

Marine Aviator

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 10:36:07 PM »

If you go to the touring forum over at hdforums, on page 3 there is a thread on the 4" Rineharts. On page 16, there is a video of a member that put in the hi perf baffles, as he was unhappy with the standard baffles. Check it out- sounds real nice to me.
Thanks NorthStar, I am going to check out that link.

NorthStar, I checked that link and listened to the youtube post.  That was a great sound and definitely louder than the standard baffle.  I will be ordering the performance baffle.  Judging from his disdain for the effort required to get the end cap to fit the new baffles, I am not looking forward to that, but it's winter and I have time.  I recall when I originally received the Rineharts my intent was to swap the stock SESG endcaps onto the Rineharts.  Looking at the Rineharts it wasn't readily apparent to me just how those end caps on the Rineharts come apart from the baffle.  No obvious screws as normal.  As I said before, I am not looking forward to dealing with that. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 01:24:49 PM by Marine Aviator »

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 02:41:35 PM »

Kerkers with the Mikuni baffle is as loud as you would possibly want to go. I know I don't like riding behind them :stars:

Their K3 baffle is a straight through 2 or 2.25 baffle which I feel is similar to the fullsac baffle....little softer than their Mikuni's

From there they have the double espresso which is 2-4 db less than the K3's and little deeper tone

I have found that what make the biggest difference in the sound is what head pipe you have.  If you go true duals it make the slip-ons much loader and defined.  2-1-2 header I felt pushed the right side muffler to hard therefore you need slip-ons that are designed to have more back pressure on the right side than the left side to equal out the flow and sound.  2-1 headers are the perfect blend of sound and performance.

good luck....however...chances are if you are like the most of us you will be changing pipes once or twice a year :2vrolijk_21:

North Star

• 1K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2011, 07:45:06 PM »

I think Ill stick with my fullsac 2.25's for now. Once riding season is upon us and I get reacquainted with the bike Ill see how I feel. I figure thats the wise thing to do since they sound ok and do perform well, plus I will be buying a set of 10"Yaffee bars, 10" Windvest shield, and a George Anderson TP relocator, so all that will be hard enough on the wallet.
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
HD Daymaker headlights

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2011, 10:21:59 AM »

I think Ill stick with my fullsac 2.25's for now. Once riding season is upon us and I get reacquainted with the bike Ill see how I feel. I figure thats the wise thing to do since they sound ok and do perform well, plus I will be buying a set of 10"Yaffee bars, 10" Windvest shield, and a George Anderson TP relocator, so all that will be hard enough on the wallet.
Steve has advised that you can increase the decibels by wrapping a portion of the louvers with thin aluminum, you might contact Fullsac to see how it changes sound.

Marine Aviator

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2011, 10:32:33 PM »

Thanks NorthStar, I am going to check out that link.

NorthStar, I checked that link and listened to the youtube post.  That was a great sound and definitely louder than the standard baffle.  I will be ordering the performance baffle.  Judging from his disdain for the effort required to get the end cap to fit the new baffles, I am not looking forward to that, but it's winter and I have time.  I recall when I originally received the Rineharts my intent was to swap the stock SESG endcaps onto the Rineharts.  Looking at the Rineharts it wasn't readily apparent to me just how those end caps on the Rineharts come apart from the baffle.  No obvious screws as normal.  As I said before, I am not looking forward to dealing with that. 

My new baffles arrived and I had some time today to change them out, or so I thought.  The stock baffles were very simple to remove.  Even left the exhaust on the bike and the bags on.  Just removed the 3 screws on each end cap and twisted the cap off and pulled the baffle out.  The new baffles however, didn't fit all the way into the exhaust.  They made the end cap stick out about an 1/8 inch too far when fully seated in the exhaust.  I tried and tried with WD40 and a rubber mallet, no joy.  I read on the hd forum of someone else having a hard time with fit as well.  I will try again when I am not so upset and tired.  By the way, couldn't resist starting it without the baffles.  Wish that sound was legal, is all I can say... ;D

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2011, 08:26:22 AM »

[quote author=Cat Eyes link=topic=58432.msg833452#msg833452 date=1295984495

good luck....however...chances are if you are like the most of us you will be changing pipes once or twice a year :2vrolijk_21:
[/quote]

How about Monthly

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2011, 08:23:42 PM »

You may want to look at a real exhaust pipe, D@D Performance

North Star

• 1K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2011, 11:25:30 AM »

Yes I considered the D&D, but it's a lot of money (as I'd also want the ghost pipe), and might not be worth vs what I have now, as the Fullsac set up is pretty good. Plus, I'm not to quick to give my ceramic coated x pipe as I don't want to lose that cooling benefit.

PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
HD Daymaker headlights

Marine Aviator

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2011, 09:43:22 PM »

I finally got the hipo baffles into the 4 inch Rineharts.  Had to use the bench grinder on both baffles in order to get them to fit.  But once I did, I have to say that I am very pleased.  It is much deeper and also louder when you rev it.  The snow is still melting and the streets are a total mess so I still haven't ridden it, but I love the new sound.  Highly recommend changing the baffles for those that have the standard.

North Star

• 1K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2011, 10:25:17 PM »

I finally got the hipo baffles into the 4 inch Rineharts.  Had to use the bench grinder on both baffles in order to get them to fit.  But once I did, I have to say that I am very pleased.  It is much deeper and also louder when you rev it.  The snow is still melting and the streets are a total mess so I still haven't ridden it, but I love the new sound.  Highly recommend changing the baffles for those that have the standard.

Thanks for the info- glad to hear you like them....I think I'd like them too.
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
HD Daymaker headlights

Marine Aviator

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2011, 07:16:52 PM »

Finally got some 60 degree weather and some dry roads.  I left work early to get a ride in.  Let me just say unequivocally that changing those baffles was the best thing ever.  Here are my thoughts now:

Before, the sound was good at idle but never loud, even under load while riding.  It was, however, better than the stock exhaust.

Now, with the high performance baffles, it is still not obnoxiously loud at idle.  Still has the Rinehart sound which I would describe as deep, refined, rumble.  With that said, under load getting into the throttle, these things really sound nice and get attention.  They are very deep, definitely louder, but not obnoxious.  They sound bad a$$ as one of my friends wife said to me today. 

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2011, 02:42:05 PM »

Bought a new set and ran them to Sturgis one year.
When I got there one of the baffles was loose and rattling like hell.
Went to the Sampson booth and ask them about the warranty.
Best in the industry they guy says.
Thats when I told him I wanted to swap out this defect pipe for one hanging on the wall.
He tells me to get lost.
Thats when I go out side and borrow a Big ass Hammer and comince to working on this new Sampson pipe trying to get just the right dent in the thing to stop all the rattles.
Of course explaining to everyone there this was a new Sampson pipe and the only way to fix one.
Thats when they ran me off of there lot.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 21 queries.