CVO Technical > General CVO discussion

Kill to accessory mode??

(1/6) > >>

Rhoarke:
Greetings, all! Experienced rider, new bike, first time poster. I have had my 2020 CVO TriGlide a little over a week, and have found many ‘new’ features since my 2003 UltraClassic and FatBoy days... and have also found a few annoyances. Let me lead my question by asking that this NOT become a discussion over kill switch vs ignition switch (as a CVO forum, I’d hope that we could avoid that anyway). SOOOO... I want to have the option to pull into a parking lot or home and kill the engine **without also losing stereo, lights, phone call, intercoms, etc. I just want to stop the engine when it’s 100 degrees out and leave everything else going **without interruption. It baffles me that HD apparently didn’t think of this? I am aware of the clutch-side accessory button, and the option to start that mode after ‘killing’ the bike, but everything is interrupted. Maybe an option (?) like tapping accessory button 3x before hitting kill switch, etc. Any aftermarket solutions for killing engine directly to accessory ON mode?  I have searched the forum for this info- apologies if I’ve missed the answer. So much new stuff to learn!! Looking forward to contributing here. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

ParadigmGuy:
I'm not familiar with trikes. But you don't have a kill button on right? I kill my RG this way when I get fuel, but leave the stereo playing.

VaEagle:
First welcome to the website!

I don't have a concrete answer for you because I haven't read of someone doing what you are asking. I would have to guess the factory doesn't allow you to kill the motor and leave all the electronics on due to the fact the battery could not handle the drain for long and could leave you stranded.
But maybe one of the mechanics or custom guru's on this site will respond soon to mods they have done. My guess is you would need to separate the starting system and it's battery then run a separate set of batteries to power all the electronics???

Rhoarke:
Thx for the quick replies. Kill button is all there is on CVO tourings. Uses key fob to replace “ignition” — No option to *not* use kill button to stop engine. To stop engine, and by extension, there’s no way to leave accessories on through an engine stop event (like on the electra, we could kill engine, but leave ignition switched on and with that you keep all lights, radio, nav, etc until you turned off that second “ignition” switch). No such thing now- only kill switch which shuts it all down at once.

Re: battery drain- I agree that’s the right design and why they do it that way so you don’t leave crap on and drain battery- but it’d be no worse than choosing (or switching) to run in accessory mode. 5m-20m should be fine so long as one is aware. Still— if I **want** to knowingly drop from engine to battery, then I think there should be a way to do that (esp since we had that option (between the two switches) on older machines.  :(

grc:
If you're looking to just keep the infotainment system running, try this.  Hold the trigger switch on the left hand control module down, then press the run/stop switch to off.  I seem to remember someone saying that would leave the system running without interruption.

Give it a try and let us know if it works.  I may just be delusional and having a senior moment, remembering things that don't exist. ;)

Jerry

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version