CVO Technical > General CVO discussion

Tank slapper

(1/2) > >>

johnmowcop:
Not just CVO’s.
Is it endemic of all Harley’s to degenerate into a tank slapper if both hands are removed from the handlebars at any speed.
JohnT

Twolanerider:

--- Quote from: johnmowcop on May 18, 2020, 05:26:29 PM ---Not just CVO’s.
Is it endemic of all Harley’s to degenerate into a tank slapper if both hands are removed from the handlebars at any speed.
JohnT

--- End quote ---

Any bike might and it can be the result of many different factors; bike, road or otherwise.  And they can do it whether your hands are on the bars or not.

fastfreddy:
back in the olden days.... i had a KZ900 and it would go in to a death wobble at or around 140 mph, turned out i had some worn bushings on the swing arm , replaced bushings and sold that stupid thing   :nixweiss:

J.D.:
Contrary to what seems to be popular belief, you don't need worn parts and/or heavy loading to experience this, although those things may increase the likelihood and/or severity.  I believe the Harley touring front end geometry (rake, trail) is part of it, but I'm not a suspension engineer.  Whatever causes it, it's often unpredictable, scary as hell, and can cause a rider to lose control.

grc:

--- Quote from: 2002FXDWG3 on May 18, 2020, 07:00:39 PM ---Contrary to what seems to be popular belief, you don't need worn parts and/or heavy loading to experience this, although those things may increase the likelihood and/or severity.  I believe the Harley touring front end geometry (rake, trail) is part of it, but I'm not a suspension engineer.  Whatever causes it, it's often unpredictable, scary as hell, and can cause a rider to lose control.

--- End quote ---

The front end geometry of the touring models from the 80's up to 2013 was in fact a contributor to the problem.  In 2014 the front end design was changed to a more conventional design.  I don't remember seeing any front end wobble/tank slapper complaints since then; anyone have any firsthand experience with a Rushed More tank slapper or high speed wobble?

Jerry

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version