Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Ride On Tire Sealant and Balancer  (Read 2001 times)

Bobs14Limited

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

Ride On Tire Sealant and Balancer
« on: September 19, 2019, 07:53:17 PM »

Has anyone used this (Ride-On) tire sealant and balancer in a CVO with the TPMS? I called the manufacturer and they said as long as the sensors are hermetically sealed, it would be fine. I've used it in non TPMS tires on my last bike and it did a great job in balancing the tires along with the added safety/convenience feature of sealing a possible puncture.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Ride On Tire Sealant and Balancer
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 10:39:37 PM »

You would need to contact H-D Corporate and ask them about the sensors they use.  Unless something has changed very recently, the sensors I've seen have a very small hole that leads to the actual sensing chamber.  Once that hole is clogged with sealant, they don't work.

Personally, I don't recommend sealants.  They are only effective for very small leaks, they often cause corrosion of alloy rims, and they make a mess for the person who has to change the tire.  What they basically do, in my humble opinion, is give a false sense of security.  If you have a puncture filled by a nail and sealed by sealant, you may not notice anything until the nail is flung out and you suddenly have a large hole which the sealant will not seal.  If you have a functional TPMS system, you will be warned of a small leak in time to react.  If you have a major blowout, no sealant in the world will do a bit of good.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 09:22:56 AM »

Contact Ride-On, they should know.
I use Ride-On for balancing, works great.  I have TPMS on my BMW and Ride-On says it is ok, but not on the Gold Wing.
As for the safety aspect, Bah.  One thing I really hate is getting up in the wee hours of the morning on a trip and going out to a flat tire.  Ride-On does not make a mess inside the tire as it becomes very thick inside the tire and sticks to the tire.
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

planenut

• 1K CVO Member
  • life is short enjoy the ride
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2022 Road glide Limited Wicked orange Pearl and Blackhole
    • CVO2: 18 115 cvo limited anniversary #1068(sold)
    • CVO3: 15 cvo Limited Maroon and silver (sold)
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 09:52:55 AM »

I have used it on my 15 cvo limited
   Getting ready to change tires on my 18 cvo limited and was looking into the same thing
thought i read it doesnt work with the hd sensors since it is not hermetically sealed  ???
 would like a update
  jon
Fullsac headpipe TAb Performance 4.5 slash 2.5 baffles
SERT program   horsepower hd cam
freedom shields 13 in
Custom Dynamics full lighting Ft and rear
Soundz 6 speaker set up 1k amp
Legends Axeo ft and Revo A in rear

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 06:00:16 PM »

The stuff does leave a mess and I personally, do not want that stuff in there if there is even a possibility that it could effect the TPMS. I still check my tires regularly with a gauge but the TPMS is great when you are on the road.
IMHO the stuff is not worth the problems it could cause.

Bobs14Limited

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 07:17:14 PM »

Contact Ride-On, they should know.
I use Ride-On for balancing, works great.  I have TPMS on my BMW and Ride-On says it is ok, but not on the Gold Wing.
As for the safety aspect, Bah.  One thing I really hate is getting up in the wee hours of the morning on a trip and going out to a flat tire.  Ride-On does not make a mess inside the tire as it becomes very thick inside the tire and sticks to the tire.

I spoke with an engineer at Ride-On yesterday and he said that vehicle manufacturers often change the source of the tire pressure sensors so it's hard to say if the Harley sensors will be fine with the Ride-On. He asked me to see if my dealer has a replacement sensor in stock to look at and see if it's hermetically sealed. If so, then it's ok.
I know my dealer sells Ride-On, but that could be for the other brands of powersport equipment that they sell.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 10:30:29 PM »

The attached photo is the sensor kit Harley recently released for 2020 in the accessory catalog.  Look closely at the sensors in the photo.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Bobs14Limited

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2019, 01:54:51 AM »

The attached photo is the sensor kit Harley recently released for 2020 in the accessory catalog.  Look closely at the sensors in the photo.

Jerry

So I guess they aren't a sealed sensor?

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2019, 02:54:33 AM »

I use tire sealants for lawn mower tires & yard equipment. Works great for small tubeless punctures on vehicles operated at low speeds with infrequent tire changes. Don't use it for MC or auto tires & that was prior to TPMS because there are some drawbacks that others have already mentioned.

I check vehicle tires weekly, TPMS is ok for monitoring - nothing else for me works better than manual inspection & a tire pressure gauge.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• Wichitagreg
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2019, 07:39:43 AM »

I have not seen a mess inside my tires when removing the tire treated with Ride-On.

Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
AKA r0de_runr

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2019, 12:20:17 PM »

Question....If you were to pickup a nail, how do you know? 

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• Wichitagreg
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2019, 01:36:30 PM »

Question....If you were to pickup a nail, how do you know?
Maybe I wouldn't care.  I inspect my tires when I clean my wheels.  If I had a puncture, and was not losing air I would just keep riding. 

I do not subscribe to the philosophy that a puncture ruins a tire.  Plug it, patch it, use some kind of Slime or Ride-On.
On no, I'm going to hell!!  If I were that worried, I would drive a Volvo not a dangerous motorcycle.  Sheesh.
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
AKA r0de_runr

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2019, 05:03:50 PM »

Maybe I wouldn't care.  I inspect my tires when I clean my wheels.  If I had a puncture, and was not losing air I would just keep riding. 

I do not subscribe to the philosophy that a puncture ruins a tire.  Plug it, patch it, use some kind of Slime or Ride-On.
On no, I'm going to hell!!  If I were that worried, I would drive a Volvo not a dangerous motorcycle.  Sheesh.
Sorry...Sheesh

Didn't mean to upset you....hope you don't go to hell for plugging a tire.

I thought maybe the slime would bleed out the puncture as a indicator...but you don't know and don't care.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2019, 05:41:29 PM »

slime makes a horrible mess and i can see the tire installer guys not liking that being added.  ride on, not so much.  i, like others, used to be pretty much against ride on.  i even bought 3 bottles and sold them without installing them.  it wasn't until i balanced the tires that i put on my new bike that i decided to try ride on again.  there was (i thought) a lot of weight on the wheel to balance them.  according to what i could find online, it was not what the mfg would consider excessive, but i thought it was.  so i bought 3 more bottles, ripped the weights off, and installed the ride on according to 'severe' usage dosage instructions.  i've had the bike up over 95mph and it was smooth as glass.  i'm not as concerned about the tire sealing aspect of it, i carry a plug kit in my saddlebag, but the balance part does work.  just for the record, if i was to get a puncture, i would probably replace the tire, but this will at least get me home safely.

here's a video showing it in action.  it's a lot like the j&s jack video.   

« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 05:46:56 PM by skratch »
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

GB506

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2019, 05:43:57 PM »

There’s not a chance in hades that I’d ride a motorcycle with a plugged or patched tire. Even less with a passenger aboard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 24 queries.