Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Replaced stock rear shocks with Ohlins  (Read 2195 times)

IowaCajun

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

• CVO1: 2020 RGS Zephry blue
Replaced stock rear shocks with Ohlins
« on: September 23, 2019, 01:58:35 PM »

Well after a lot of dragging my feet on replacing the stock shocks on the rear(because of cost) i bit the bullet and had them changed. I had checked out the a few different brands and types also forum research but in the end the Ohlins won. We were at the Sturgis rally and stopped by the vendors tent at Black Hills HD. The people at the Ohlins tent explained everything in detail. I had decided on the Hd159's so i thought but after they asked me a series of questions it was determined that i didn't need the higher priced 159's for the riding we do.So i bought the 022's in 13". They were installed right then by the master tech Joey. They set everything up while we waited. Great people that work for them. After install took the bike to Iron mountain and it performed fantastic. What a smooth ride. The wife thinks it's the best improvement we ever made. I highly recommend there product and people.

scotman623

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

Re: Replaced stock rear shocks with Ohlins
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 04:46:53 PM »

I’m trying to decide on rear shocks for my 19 CVO RG, Thanks for the review.. You said you changed your mind from the 159 to the 022, what did they say the biggest difference was? What is your kind of riding style? Thanks for any information...

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 05:45:09 PM »

Did they talk to you about the required rebuild expense? I Have heard horror stories about the cost of rebuild on the Ohlins and different mileages this is suggested. Just wondered what they had to say when you bought yours.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 12:03:24 AM »

Did they talk to you about the required rebuild expense? I Have heard horror stories about the cost of rebuild on the Ohlins and different mileages this is suggested. Just wondered what they had to say when you bought yours.
I have had Ohlins on both my bikes for years. On my 12 I have 70,000 miles and had to rebuild once at 40000 miles (per their recommendation) which cost $250. Not sure where you are hearing horror stories but would never have a Harley without them. Huge difference over stock for sure! I would go as far as saying with an aggressive riding style they are much safer than stock as they wont "skip around" when in a high speed sweeper on uneven pavement.
Alan

jrf55

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2018 GUNSHIP GREY ROAD GLIDE CVO
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 08:56:25 AM »

night and day difference . Ohlins make the ride enjoyable , stock harley suspension is horrible.

scotman623

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 12:31:56 PM »

I’m a very aggressive rider, which shock shall I buy for my 19 CVO RG? Best place to purchase? Thanks for any information... Scott

IowaCajun

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2019, 02:52:23 PM »

Scotman623, I'm not an aggressive rider.  I ride 2up about 90% of the time and we are all about the long ride. You can still adjust the ones i have with the supplied spanner wrenches just not as easily as the other models.The shocks i got was because i'm more of a set it and forget it kind of a rider.The 159's have a easy adjustment knob for rebound. I didn't need that so that's why i got the 22's. As for rebuilding I was told $250 not sure about the mileage. All shocks have to be rebuilt at some point. Hope this helps.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2019, 03:10:29 PM »

I’m a very aggressive rider, which shock shall I buy for my 19 CVO RG? Best place to purchase? Thanks for any information... Scott

I’d suggest the 772’s - talk to Carol “ Smarty” on the forums and go from there.   Competitive on pricing, and fantastic customer service even over the phone on install.  It’s worth the call

+1 (469) 268-4232
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

scotman623

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2019, 03:44:53 PM »

Unbalanced, Thanks so much for the contact information and suggestions!! Iowacajun, Thanks for the information my friend!! Enjoy riding my friends.

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 03:49:44 PM »

Cajun what am I looking at for $$ on the 22's?

IowaCajun

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2019, 05:19:41 PM »

ultra13, I gave $650 set up and installed at Sturgis rally. May find a better deal somewhere else. Just and FYI the company is working on a software program that will take your info. body weight, bike, luggage Etc. and set the shocks up for you.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2019, 08:29:12 PM »

I have had Ohlins on both my bikes for years. On my 12 I have 70,000 miles and had to rebuild once at 40000 miles (per their recommendation) which cost $250. Not sure where you are hearing horror stories but would never have a Harley without them. Huge difference over stock for sure! I would go as far as saying with an aggressive riding style they are much safer than stock as they wont "skip around" when in a high speed sweeper on uneven pavement.

I agree, got my Ohlin HD-159 in Fall of 2014 at Biketoberfest in Dayton.  I had them rebuilt once so far while in Daytona for the rally.  Pulled in when they opened in the am, they took my shocks off, installed loaners.  Told me to come back at 3.  Came back at 3 and they installed my rebuilt shocks all for 225 dollars. 

I honestly thought something was wrong with my 15 CVO road glide ultra when I first road it in the curves.  Felt unstable and skipped as you say.  Tried all kinds of air pressure could never make it feel right.  1200 miles on the bike when I put the Ohlins on. 

They are now on my CVO King.  In about 10K more miles they will need a rebuild.  Well worth it.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 08:31:27 PM by FLSTFI Dave »
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2019, 08:41:29 PM »

What did you all do for the front shocks?
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

scotman623

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2019, 10:05:57 PM »

Question for all? I’m mechanically inclined and work on my own bikes a lot, is the stock install something easy to do? Any special tools or tricks for installing? My hope is I can do it myself, will depend on the replies.. Thanks, Scott

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2019, 10:32:49 PM »

Question for all? I’m mechanically inclined and work on my own bikes a lot, is the stock install something easy to do? Any special tools or tricks for installing? My hope is I can do it myself, will depend on the replies.. Thanks, Scott

Shocks?  If you've got a bike jack and normal hand tools you're good to go.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 21 queries.