Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Dunlop Elite III's  (Read 30217 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: Dunlop Elite III's
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2007, 11:30:42 AM »

Just for informational purposes, the Metzler 140/90x16 is rated for 908lbs @50PSI and is just a hair wider than the stock Dunlop.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2007, 02:24:14 PM »

I run metzlers now and want to keep the load rating.  Am going to look at the elite III's like the 930# rating.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2007, 10:45:19 PM »

Ordered a set from the dealer.  MU90B16 for the rear $94.00 and a MT90B16 for the front $86.00 plus tax. 

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2007, 06:03:13 PM »

I just installed the Elite IIIs on my '07 FLHTC.  I chose the 160/80B16 GL1500 rear tire which fit fine with absolutely no clearance issues.  Load rating is 992 lbs.
Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2007, 08:57:17 PM »

Wow kinda suprised it fit but I guess the lower profile helps.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2007, 11:23:02 PM »

Wow kinda suprised it fit but I guess the lower profile helps.

I've got the 160/80B16 80H elite 3 on the back of my seeg with the stock detonator wheel, put the MT90B16 elite 3 on the front. There is about an 1/8" clearance to the belt guard with no modifications, all other clearances are 1/4" plus. Been running that tire for about 2500 miles so far no issues. Did a write up some time ago but I think it got messed up with the forum upgrade.

btw: the load rating on the 160 is 992
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 11:25:21 PM by reo »

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2007, 08:30:46 PM »

Well may have to change plans.  Going to see the parts guy Monday. 

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2007, 10:00:46 AM »

I started with this mod after MV because I literally burnt the back tire off my bike. I couldn't find anyone or any info on putting the 160 on a stock seeg but from what I was measuring it looked like it would work. I did a writeup back in December of last year but most of the write seems to be gone, here is a hotlink the side by side pictures are still there. http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=9598.0

Here is a copy of part of the writeup from that link that was lost.

"The 160 was an elite III and it fit perfectly with about an 1/8" clearance from the plastic belt guard. I haven't felt any rubbing from the diameter change but I haven't taken it all the way up yet. I have to tell you I did quite a bit of measuring before ordering and it fit on my bike but I wouldn't count on it fitting every EG without maybe a spacer mod.

Yes I put the tire on the stock detonator, and I might point out Dunlop doesn't condome this tire on a 3" rim. It looks good in there and the tread not quite as nice as the Metzler or even the 150 sreamin eagle tire on my FatBoy but it looks much better than the stock one. I really liked the load rating being higher than the stock tire and much higher then the Metz. The Elite III tires have a skinny profile even the front tire is a little narrower so you loose a little width in the front.

I like the ride and handling so far with a little less than 1k so far (salt on the roads here). I'm not sure I would be a fair judge going from worn out hard stock 402's to the Elite III's, but I'm very impressed so far. Another by product of the switch for me was the speedo was 2-4mph off depending on the speed (I'm comparing this to my gps) and now its just about dead nut.

I would have to say the Elite III's with the 160 on the back seem like they were made for my bike.

One thing I forgot to point out: the Elite III's are narrower than published. I didn't measure them but my assumpsion is they are slightly taller than published. In fact my measurements before taking delivery of the tires confirmed I was going to remove or modify the belt guard but the tires are maybe 3/8" narrower than I was expecting. I know I used the 160 on a 3" rim but the front tire is narrower than published also. The profile of the front could be wider, I really would like a larger front tire to fill the fender but they don't make a larger one in the Elite III series. Actually the biggest reason for me going to these tires is the load rating. I literally burnt the stock back tire off my seeg comming back from M/V loaded up 100mph 9 1/2 hrs to Chi-town."

I have ridden the bike hard since the elite III install but because of my heavy work load haven't racked up the miles I usually do (about 2500 so far). So far the ride and cornering seems better and predictable, I like the feel in the turns. I haven't had the experience of riding in hard rain so I can't comment on that, one of the reasons I like these tires is because of the cut in the tread.

I wanted to make sure everyone knows how close the dimesions are and the fact that Dunlop doe's not condome the use of these on 3" rims but I do like them.......Roy
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 10:09:10 AM by reo »

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2007, 10:32:12 AM »

One other thing I wanted to point out to anyone thinking about this mod: the tire does mildly rub on the belt guard. I did not modify or remove the guard because I didn't like the chance of picking up a rock in the belt and there is an 1/8 clearance on mine checking while turning the tire all the way around, but these things do move and thats why I'm showing a mark on the tire. There appears to be no damage at this point to the tire or guard but I wanted to let everyone to know about this issue. To reiterate its just a mark like a discoloration on the side of the tire in the close area.

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2007, 10:57:52 AM »

One other thing I wanted to point out to anyone thinking about this mod: the tire does mildly rub on the belt guard. I did not modify or remove the guard because I didn't like the chance of picking up a rock in the belt and there is an 1/8 clearance on mine checking while turning the tire all the way around, but these things do move and thats why I'm showing a mark on the tire. There appears to be no damage at this point to the tire or guard but I wanted to let everyone to know about this issue. To reiterate its just a mark like a discoloration on the side of the tire in the close area.

discoloration means heat......like to see a picture if you can

jeffj

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2007, 02:30:02 PM »

No no no! not from heat!

I have seen this discoloration before on Kenworths and peterbilts like where the flap rubs the front steer tires, more specifically on the side of the tire, same color. I can try and get a pic up some time if you need to see but I will be out riding today.

When you have a rubber plastic rub on a tire you get a shiney brown like mark. I just thought I would make people aware of this before they change to this tire. I don't want anyone to make a big deal out of this saying there is damage to the tire or this is a safety issue I just want to point it out so there are no surprises for anyone.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2007, 07:52:47 PM »

Guess I'll just use what I ordered not willing to change rims, and if they recommend against a 3in rim I wouldn't risk it. JMHO

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2007, 09:46:06 PM »

Interesting bit the MU90B16 has a rating of 932# but at a max pressure of 40PSI.  I run Metzlers at 50psi.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2007, 10:01:29 PM »

Interesting bit the MU90B16 has a rating of 932# but at a max pressure of 40PSI.  I run Metzlers at 50psi.

Jesus Magoo, Hockey pucks at 50 PSI ? You must have been a board track rider in another life

B B

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2007, 10:07:53 PM »

Jesus Magoo, Hockey pucks at 50 PSI ? You must have been a board track rider in another life

B B

Dunno BB... Magoo impressed me as a no nonsense do it safe kinda rider. You didn't go all risky on us didja Magoo??? :-\
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 21 queries.