Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Author Topic: Dunlop Elite III's  (Read 30297 times)

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
Re: Dunlop Elite III's
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2007, 09:14:45 AM »

That is a good price.  We were quoted in and around $160 for front and $180 for rear at the local HD shop. 

Might want to check with another dealer.  Mine where $94 for the rear and $86 for the front out the door.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2007, 09:24:34 AM »

Might want to check with another dealer.  Mine where $94 for the rear and $86 for the front out the door.

Wow! Is that for E3's? Can you supply your source?

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2007, 10:32:27 AM »

Thanks Barry.  My E-IIIs went on right before MV.  So 6-7k on them now.  Front is still great.  But will need a back before Nelson.  It's fine now.  But another 2-2.5k will have it down far enough to throw away.

Hey Don,

I remember you were running the stock size Elite III on back, getting both put on at an amazing price. If you get 8-9.5k on the back as you suggested how does that compare to the stock 402's you had on before and was your riding habits pretty much the same or did you run more/longer bagged up trips with the later tires?

Roy....

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2007, 12:33:05 PM »

Hey Don,

I remember you were running the stock size Elite III on back, getting both put on at an amazing price. If you get 8-9.5k on the back as you suggested how does that compare to the stock 402's you had on before and was your riding habits pretty much the same or did you run more/longer bagged up trips with the later tires?

Roy....

Unfortunately Roy I can't make a comparison with the 402s over several tires.  The original one last 12k and change.  At that point it was very ready to come off.  Subsequent two tires, however, were replaced prior to wearing due to road hazards.

I looked more closely at the E III last night.  After finally giving the bike a good cleaning.  Future tire wear is difficult thing to eyeball.  But I might have underestimated it a bit.  I was curious so checked it's usage to date for sure.  It's got 6500 and a few miles on it.  Given what I see on the ground right I'm comfortable it will go 10k and still be at that point where it's safe to ride but be ready for replacement.

If that's so it won't have lasted quite as long as the original 402.  But it will have been in the ballpark of the other tire.  It's handling is enough of an improvement (especially the wet road handling), however, that I'd consider the change to be more than worthwhile relative to the nearly identical cost factor.

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2007, 02:09:30 PM »

Unfortunately Roy I can't make a comparison with the 402s over several tires.  The original one last 12k and change.  At that point it was very ready to come off.  Subsequent two tires, however, were replaced prior to wearing due to road hazards.

I looked more closely at the E III last night.  After finally giving the bike a good cleaning.  Future tire wear is difficult thing to eyeball.  But I might have underestimated it a bit.  I was curious so checked it's usage to date for sure.  It's got 6500 and a few miles on it.  Given what I see on the ground right I'm comfortable it will go 10k and still be at that point where it's safe to ride but be ready for replacement.

If that's so it won't have lasted quite as long as the original 402.  But it will have been in the ballpark of the other tire.  It's handling is enough of an improvement (especially the wet road handling), however, that I'd consider the change to be more than worthwhile relative to the nearly identical cost factor.

Thanks for the info Don. I'm thinking because of your getting used to this bike and all the mods youv'e had since, you probably drive longer faster, you think thats possible? My reason is: I really beleave the biggest thing that takes these tires down fast is riding hard, long and heavy. What do you think. Did you think about going to the 160 on back, you know the load rating is higher.

Roy.....

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2007, 05:23:26 PM »

Thanks for the info Don. I'm thinking because of your getting used to this bike and all the mods youv'e had since, you probably drive longer faster, you think thats possible? My reason is: I really beleave the biggest thing that takes these tires down fast is riding hard, long and heavy. What do you think. Did you think about going to the 160 on back, you know the load rating is higher.

Roy.....

Roy, it is absolutely true that my bike isn't really a local rider.  Almost never use it for in town messing around unless my niece wants to go for a ride.  When it goes it's usually out for at least an afternoon ride if not a road trip.

That does mean that significant majority of the miles on my tires are on longer (and likely hotter) stretches than would be a cruiser or a townie bike.  And most of those miles are with the bike loaded.  Like you I do think the load makes a significant difference.  Really seems to be the case.

I had thought about the bigger rear.  An alternative.  I'm thinking going to end up trying a different alternative altogether though.  The front currently installed will live through one more rear.  The next new rear will go relatively soon.  When they're both worn for replacement at the next cycle I'm going to radials.  Will be very interested to see how those service us.

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2007, 08:19:03 PM »

Roy, it is absolutely true that my bike isn't really a local rider.  Almost never use it for in town messing around unless my niece wants to go for a ride.  When it goes it's usually out for at least an afternoon ride if not a road trip.

That does mean that significant majority of the miles on my tires are on longer (and likely hotter) stretches than would be a cruiser or a townie bike.  And most of those miles are with the bike loaded.  Like you I do think the load makes a significant difference.  Really seems to be the case.

I had thought about the bigger rear.  An alternative.  I'm thinking going to end up trying a different alternative altogether though.  The front currently installed will live through one more rear.  The next new rear will go relatively soon.  When they're both worn for replacement at the next cycle I'm going to radials.  Will be very interested to see how those service us.
Don, keep us abreast if you find some radials that fit the bill. I looked into that as an option but with the detonators being new and finally (supposedly) fixed I decided to go the way I did.

Roy...

hdnut

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2007, 08:21:34 PM »

What are the plus and minus of going to radials? :nixweiss:I know the them in car terms but on a motorcycle?
hdnut

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2007, 08:30:18 PM »

Don, keep us abreast if you find some radials that fit the bill. I looked into that as an option but with the detonators being new and finally (supposedly) fixed I decided to go the way I did.

Roy...

Roy, with the SERK being fitted with radials I'm hoping the OE is moving that way generally.  If so we'll start seeing more options.  Admittedly there aren't a lot right now.  But it's something I'm going to be watching between now and the next cycle of tires.  When/if I see good options will definitely let you know.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2007, 08:33:31 PM »

What are the plus and minus of going to radials? :nixweiss:I know the them in car terms but on a motorcycle?

Without knowing specifics of tread compounds we can't say with any certainty.  But I'd hope to see longer tire life.  For certain should be the stronger/stiffer sidewalls causing better handling in the rear.  Road an 07 SERK last weekend with radials.  Over 6-8 miles of country road exercised those tires to just short of abusing them (was someone else's bike).  The differences you feel are both positive and noticable.  Bike pulls upright faster.  The firmness is noticable and effectiveness going through curves and twisties at "moderate" speeds.  It was a good feel no matter how you exercised the tires.

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2007, 08:38:18 PM »

Advantage is: the tire tread tracs better to the road as the sidewall handles the job at hand more effectively due to the design.

My biggest concerns would be belts shifting. I know now you don't see it as much on cars these days, I see it from time to time on truck tires especially when tire pressure is left low. My concern with the touring tires is because of the heat I believe they run hotter than the before mentioned and we defiantly don't give them any mercy.  Well, we do have quite a few beta testing for us now that they put them on the serk, thats a start.

Roy.....

hdnut

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2007, 10:12:36 PM »

Thanks for the info , I will look forward to your input. :2vrolijk_21:
hdnut

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2007, 09:30:51 AM »

Wow! Is that for E3's? Can you supply your source?

Thru our local dealer Colunbia HD in Vancouver, Washington.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2007, 09:32:24 AM »

Don't believe there a radials avalible in our stock tire size.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander

displacing air

• Elite CVO Member
  • I am glad God answers no sometimes!
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2007, 05:39:43 PM »

Well the Elite 3's came in today...

Wish I had a bike to put them on?
Soon...I hope!

Pretty quick ship...ya'll can look at earlier post to see how long it
took. $201 to the front door.

DisAir
2006 SEUC ...Watermelon Flavor!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 22 queries.