Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Author Topic: Dunlop Elite III's  (Read 30302 times)

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
Re: Dunlop Elite III's
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2007, 04:27:52 PM »

My Elite 3's have about 1,000 rounds on them and I like them

Rode a little bit in rain, last week and they seemed to hold the lane well
However, there should as they are brand new

As I get more rounds on the tires I will report back

jeffj

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2007, 10:25:16 PM »

Good to hear.  I had mine up in the mountains and the twistes today and thought it handled very well, on par with what I've gotten out of Metzlers.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2007, 08:16:33 PM »

Interesting observation on tread wear on the stock Elite III Radials on the SERK3. Not very impressed with that right now, although I do like the ride and handling characteristics of this tire. 5300 miles, granted a lot of high speed, 2-up loaded and hard riding, but only at 3/32" right in the center of the rear tire. This tread pattern, with the radial at least, progressively gets deeper toward the outsides of the tire. Gets up to 7/32". It always had less tread depth in the center. I'm keeping an eye to see if the center continues to wear, but don't think I'm gonna get 7500 miles out of the rear tire.

Anyone have any observations on tread wear on these tires?

Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 12:36:38 AM by Hoist »
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2007, 10:00:19 PM »

Interesting observation on tread wear on the stock Elite III Radials on the SERK3. Not very impressed with that right now, although I do like the ride and handling characteristics of this tire. 5300 miles, granted a lot of high speed, 2-up loaded and hard riding, but only at 3/32" right in the center of the rear tire. This tread pattern, with the radial at least, progressively gets deeper toward the outsides of the tire. Gets up to 7/32". It always had less tread depth in the center. I'm keeping an eye to see if the center continues to wear, but don't think I'm gonna get 7500 miles out of the rear tire.

Anyone have any observations on tread wear on these tires?

Hoist! 8)

What I've wondered (but haven't been able to find out) on the E3's is what the minimum is supposed to be per factory spec and measured from where on the tire?  With the 402's it was a scary 1/32 as the HD spec for minimum.  But with these the number completely depends on where you measure.

Got any idea what it was in the middle when the tire was new?

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2007, 10:11:22 PM »

What I've wondered (but haven't been able to find out) on the E3's is what the minimum is supposed to be per factory spec and measured from where on the tire?  With the 402's it was a scary 1/32 as the HD spec for minimum.  But with these the number completely depends on where you measure.

That is probably an important number that many of us need! :oops:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2007, 10:35:53 PM »

Can't find any specs on the OEM version of the radial, but here are the specs on the rest of the E3's.  As for the minimum tread depth, Dunlop recommends replacement before reaching 1/32" on all of their tires - they don't break it out by tire model.

Jerry
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 10:38:14 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2007, 11:03:06 PM »

Can't find any specs on the OEM version of the radial, but here are the specs on the rest of the E3's.  As for the minimum tread depth, Dunlop recommends replacement before reaching 1/32" on all of their tires - they don't break it out by tire model.

Jerry

This still begs the question of where the measurement is taken from.  Here is an otherwise good tire.  At the very inner ends it's already less than 1/32.  Outboard only a tiny bit it's just over 6/32.  It stays there for most of it's run but gets even deeper at the outside edge.

I assume they want the depth gauge stuck in the center/consistent part of the tire.  But there are other options.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2007, 12:35:53 AM »

I took the measurement from the dead center. The radial has some treads that run across the front of tire. I only measured the rear. I didn't measure it when it was new. The front one looks OK as I expect it to. Maybe I shouldn't be so concerned right now. I'll still keep an eye on them. Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 12:39:46 AM by Hoist »

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

FLHRSE3

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2007, 06:09:18 PM »

SERK3 manual states wear bars will appear when 1/32” tread remains, wear bars run horizontally in the vertical channel in the center of the tire.  I just measured and I have 1/32” inch to go until wear bar is flush with tire, 1/32” tread will remain at that time.  I have 8400 miles, I would assume the less aggressive riding style of the first 5000 miles during the winter months has something to do with it.

Gregg

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2007, 06:28:47 PM »

SERK3 manual states wear bars will appear when 1/32” tread remains, wear bars run horizontally in the vertical channel in the center of the tire.  I just measured and I have 1/32” inch to go until wear bar is flush with tire, 1/32” tread will remain at that time.  I have 8400 miles, I would assume the less aggressive riding style of the first 5000 miles during the winter months has something to do with it.

Gregg

Thanks for the update Gregg. I kinda thought that might be the case, because it's way too soon for the tire to be shot. Even the way I push it. If you can ride it awhile at 1/32, I should be OK for a little while longer like this. I'll keep an eye on it, but sounds more like I need to get used to a different wear pattern than before with bias ply tires. Hoist! 8)

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2007, 09:45:09 PM »

This still begs the question of where the measurement is taken from.  Here is an otherwise good tire.  At the very inner ends it's already less than 1/32.  Outboard only a tiny bit it's just over 6/32.  It stays there for most of it's run but gets even deeper at the outside edge.

I assume they want the depth gauge stuck in the center/consistent part of the tire.  But there are other options.

Don if you come up with the answer, please let me know. I as you really don't understand where to measure these EIII's. At the center of the back tire there is a point where there literally is no tread, and thats the point that will wear the thinest on long bagged up rides like we do. I would have thought there would have at least been some wear holes to measure from.

Roy......

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2007, 09:51:06 PM »

Don if you come up with the answer, please let me know. I as you really don't understand where to measure these EIII's. At the center of the back tire there is a point where there literally is no tread, and thats the point that will wear the thinest on long bagged up rides like we do. I would have thought there would have at least been some wear holes to measure from.

Roy......

Emailed asking this question awhile back.  Twice.  Never got an answer.

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
  • 07 'CUSE2 B & O ------ 09 BMW R1200GSA
    • TX
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2007, 10:34:57 PM »

I checked the web site but I cant find the chart that says what the tire pressure should be for fat man (246 LB) and 24 days worth of luggage should be for E3 bias tires....

What is everyone running?

Thanks

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2007, 11:16:51 PM »

I checked the web site but I cant find the chart that says what the tire pressure should be for fat man (246 LB) and 24 days worth of luggage should be for E3 bias tires....

What is everyone running?

Thanks

Whatever it says for max on the side of the tire.

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
  • 07 'CUSE2 B & O ------ 09 BMW R1200GSA
    • TX
« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2007, 11:29:04 PM »

My name is Mark not Max so I didn't think it applied to me...... :bananarock:

Thanks 2Lane! 

Mark
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 25 queries.