Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Author Topic: Dunlop Elite III's  (Read 30295 times)

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
Re: Dunlop Elite III's
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2007, 11:30:06 PM »

My name is Mark not Max so I didn't think it applied to me...... :bananarock:

Thanks 2Lane! 

Mark

Good one Mark  :2vrolijk_21:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2007, 11:40:56 PM »

My name is Mark not Max so I didn't think it applied to me...... :bananarock:

Thanks 2Lane! 

Mark

If my bike weren't in the trailer already to be left at the dyno shop tomorrow I'd take a magic marker to the back tire and take a picture  :huepfenlol2: !

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
  • 07 'CUSE2 B & O ------ 09 BMW R1200GSA
    • TX
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2007, 11:44:39 PM »

ROFL!  I guess that this Tulsa boy has lived too long, too close to Texas A&M!!!

Hope all goes well at the Dyno as we are about a week out or so from our little road trip.

Mark

Tony - www.1700cc.co.uk

• Senior CVO Member
  • WOW this is quick ... it lifts the wheel

• CVO1: FLHYCSE2
    • CVO2: Boss Hoss (w/ZZ430 motor)
    • My bike's website
« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2007, 04:50:20 PM »

Can't find any specs on the OEM version of the radial, but here are the specs on the rest of the E3's.  As for the minimum tread depth, Dunlop recommends replacement before reaching 1/32" on all of their tires.

Jerry,

The tables were helpful. I am starting to believe that I might understand this tyre mumbo-jumbo one day.

I am on my 3rd MU85 B16 77H stock rear tyre. Correct me if I am wrong and fill in the blank spots;

1. MU85 - No idea what this means!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2. B16 - The 16 indicates 16" diameter wheels (not sure about the 'B')
3. 77H - The 77 is based on some algorithm that determines load or maximum weight that it will take
4. 77H - The H indicates it is designed to handle 'H'igh speeds (presumeably V is for Very high speed)
5. 140, 150 or 160 - Suspect that this is the measurement that says how tall the tyre is off the rim????????????
6. What indicates the width? (I don't think it could be much wider & still clear the fender)

All help appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BC Gerolamy modified heads
TW8 gear drive cams
Daytona TwinTec with WEGO
BC Gerolamy throttle body
Overflow air filter
Feuling Super Pump
V&H Pro Pipe
Cometic Gaskets

WOW this is quick ... it lifts the wheel when changing

telephone systems

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2007, 05:28:51 PM »

Jerry,

The tables were helpful. I am starting to believe that I might understand this tyre mumbo-jumbo one day.

I am on my 3rd MU85 B16 77H stock rear tyre. Correct me if I am wrong and fill in the blank spots;

1. MU85 - No idea what this means!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2. B16 - The 16 indicates 16" diameter wheels (not sure about the 'B')
3. 77H - The 77 is based on some algorithm that determines load or maximum weight that it will take
4. 77H - The H indicates it is designed to handle 'H'igh speeds (presumeably V is for Very high speed)
5. 140, 150 or 160 - Suspect that this is the measurement that says how tall the tyre is off the rim????????????
6. What indicates the width? (I don't think it could be much wider & still clear the fender)

All help appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tony,

1.  The MU85 part of the designation is the section width and the aspect ratio.  This is the "alpha" sizing method, as opposed to the "metric" method which in this case would be 140/85.  Basically this means the tire is 140mm wide (sidewall to sidewall), and is 85% of that tall (140 X .85 = 119mm tall).  Life would be much easier if everyone would just use the metric designations.
2. The B16 indicates the tire is a belted tire which fits on a 16" rim.  
3&4. The 77H indicates the load rating and speed rating as you suspected.  77 corresponds to a load rating of 908 lbs, and H corresponds to a max speed rating of 130 mph.
5&6. See #1, this is the metric width (mm).

Speed ratings:   S=112mph, H=130mph, V=149mph, Z=149+mph

Load Index ratings:  72=783lbs, 73=805lbs, 74=827lbs, 75=853lbs, 76=882lbs, 77=908lbs, 78=937lbs, 79=963lbs, 80=992lbs, etc.

Jerry  
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Tony - www.1700cc.co.uk

• Senior CVO Member
  • WOW this is quick ... it lifts the wheel

• CVO1: FLHYCSE2
    • CVO2: Boss Hoss (w/ZZ430 motor)
    • My bike's website
« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2007, 06:08:04 PM »

The MU85 part of the designation is the section width and the aspect ratio.  This is the "alpha" sizing method, as opposed to the "metric" method which in this case would be 140/85.  Basically this means the tire is 140mm wide (sidewall to sidewall), and is 85% of that tall (140 X .85 = 119mm tall).  Life would be much easier if everyone would just use the metric designations.

Jerry,

Nice one!!!

We are getting there ... so my stock tyre is 140 mm wide.

There is very little clearance between the tyre and the fender.

Are you guys saying that my stock bike will take a 150 mm wide tyre?

Many thanks
Tony
BC Gerolamy modified heads
TW8 gear drive cams
Daytona TwinTec with WEGO
BC Gerolamy throttle body
Overflow air filter
Feuling Super Pump
V&H Pro Pipe
Cometic Gaskets

WOW this is quick ... it lifts the wheel when changing

telephone systems

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2007, 03:36:43 AM »

Tony,

1.  The MU85 part of the designation is the section width and the aspect ratio.  This is the "alpha" sizing method, as opposed to the "metric" method which in this case would be 140/85.  Basically this means the tire is 140mm wide (sidewall to sidewall), and is 85% of that tall (140 X .85 = 119mm tall).  Life would be much easier if everyone would just use the metric designations.
2. The B16 indicates the tire is a belted tire which fits on a 16" rim.  
3&4. The 77H indicates the load rating and speed rating as you suspected.  77 corresponds to a load rating of 908 lbs, and H corresponds to a max speed rating of 130 mph.
5&6. See #1, this is the metric width (mm).

Speed ratings:   S=112mph, H=130mph, V=149mph, Z=149+mph

Load Index ratings:  72=783lbs, 73=805lbs, 74=827lbs, 75=853lbs, 76=882lbs, 77=908lbs, 78=937lbs, 79=963lbs, 80=992lbs, etc.

Jerry  

Thanks for the explanations, it's clear  :2vrolijk_21:

Jacques
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2007, 11:49:19 AM »

And everybody measures tire size a little different.  The dunlops in the same size as a meztler is narrower not much maybe 5mm or so.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #83 on: July 04, 2007, 08:13:35 PM »

And everybody measures tire size a little different.  The dunlops in the same size as a meztler is narrower not much maybe 5mm or so.

Heck Dunlops from model to model in the same size measure up differently. The front tire (MT90B16) in an EliteIII is 5.24, and the D402 is 5.20 now this is directley from the chart Dunlop has online. When I changed over on my seeg using the same detonator rim I can tell you the EliteIII is about 3/8 " narrower than the 402 that came on the bike, go figure that one.

Roy.......

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #84 on: July 04, 2007, 09:09:31 PM »

I got about the same result with Metzlers, as far as width.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

REGGAB

« Reply #85 on: July 05, 2007, 12:20:15 AM »

This still begs the question of where the measurement is taken from.  Here is an otherwise good tire.  At the very inner ends it's already less than 1/32.  Outboard only a tiny bit it's just over 6/32.  It stays there for most of it's run but gets even deeper at the outside edge.

I assume they want the depth gauge stuck in the center/consistent part of the tire.  But there are other options.

Something about that tread pattern..........and that slick strip down the middle that just gives me the willies.  Doesn't look right at all.......disclaimer:  purely my opinion.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #86 on: July 05, 2007, 08:15:08 AM »

Something about that tread pattern..........and that slick strip down the middle that just gives me the willies.  Doesn't look right at all.......disclaimer:  purely my opinion.

Sort of looks like a racing slick in the middle, doesn't it?  Of course, that's a big part of the reason that the tire grips better - more rubber on the road - and doesn't squirm around and follow every little road irregularity. .  You might think that it wouldn't be worth rat snot in the wet, but according to the reports posted here the wet performance is at least as good as the D402.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #87 on: July 05, 2007, 09:50:54 AM »

Sort of looks like a racing slick in the middle, doesn't it?  Of course, that's a big part of the reason that the tire grips better - more rubber on the road - and doesn't squirm around and follow every little road irregularity. .  You might think that it wouldn't be worth rat snot in the wet, but according to the reports posted here the wet performance is at least as good as the D402.

Jerry

always felt nervous on the D402 in the rain...  on these, not in the slightest ( so far)

REGGAB

« Reply #88 on: July 05, 2007, 10:36:05 AM »

Jerry

Therein lies my mantra:  If it aint broke, don't fix it.  I'm not so sure the trade off of increased stick on dry pavement would be worth the possibility of having the sled come out from under me on a wet curve.  These things are fairly new..........and I respect the expert advice and opinion of everyone on this site since the greater majority is far more experienced than I.  Once these tires get some time and miles on them by this populace, and the reports come in, I'll do my own analysis and make a call at that point.  Until then, I've only had one close call.........on sand.........with a D402, and none on wet pavement, so I'll stick with them for now. :2vrolijk_21:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2007, 02:29:12 PM »

Emailed asking this question awhile back.  Twice.  Never got an answer.
I also emailed Dunlop, asking where they recommended the tread depth be measured on the Elite 3's.  This is the answer I finally received:
-----------------
Good morning Gerald,
we recommend you check tread depth in three separate places.
The tread closest to the center and go out from there.

If you need any further assistance, please send us and e mail or call
Dunlop Motorcycle Consumer Affairs @ 800-845-8378
thank you,
Virginia Gallant
Consumer Affairs Representative
-----------------
Doesn't help all that much, since the area closest to the center will always show the most wear (assuming you don't ride purposely heeled over 30° to either side to equalize wear and maintain the original tire profile ::)).  If it were me (which it will be once I wear out the current set of D402's), I believe I would measure approximately 1/16" outboard of the end of the tread nearest the center line of the tire, to avoid the rounded profile at the very end, and perform the measurement at several points around the circumference of the tire.  Any reading of 1/32" or less should have you looking for a new tire ASAP.

Jerry

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 25 queries.