Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: lowering?  (Read 5878 times)

BayouBiker

• Patriot Guard - HOG - ABATE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Cherry Jester 110"
    • CVO2: '99 FXDWG 96"
    • CVO3: 'BSR'
    • photos by Tiki Tom
lowering?
« on: May 21, 2007, 11:49:28 AM »

Anyone have suggestions on a good suspension kit to lower a SEUC?

Are these parts ok or is there something better?
HD-pn: 54628-06    Touring Front Lowering Kit
HD-pn: 54631-02B   Profile Low Touring Shocks

Does the jiffy stand need to be changed?
Live - Love - Ride
         :-*

Guardian Angels are everywhere! When they don't have wings, I call them friends.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: lowering?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 10:33:37 AM »

I would not use the profile low rear air shocks. They are terrible as many of the 04 & 05 SEEG owners will tell you. Go to the Progressive 12" 440's for the rear. They are availible with a standard or heavy duty spring. Standard if you are less than 220# and ride solo most of the time or heavy duty if you are over 220# and ride 2-up mostly.

BayouBiker

• 1K CVO Member

• photos by Tiki Tom
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 02:52:44 PM »

Thanks for the reply, but the 440's are seem to be regular spring shocks and I am looking for air suspension lowering hopefully under $500 for my Ultra.
Does anybody have ideas besides the $1000+ Legend system?
Live - Love - Ride

Guardian Angels are everywhere! When they don't have wings, I call them friends.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 06:33:25 PM »

Thanks for the reply, but the 440's are seem to be regular spring shocks and I am looking for air suspension lowering hopefully under $500 for my Ultra.
Does anybody have ideas besides the $1000+ Legend system?

The HD air shocks provide no lowering ability.  You buy either the lower version or the stock version.  They do not get any lower than that length.  If you want to drop the rear end of the bike when you need to, you'll have to go with something like the Legend Air Ride, Platinum Air, and I think Progressive makes an air system as well.  I have the Legends and really like them, but they are pricey.  But not as pricey as the bike falling over because you can't get a good foothold. :o ;)
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

BayouBiker

• 1K CVO Member

• photos by Tiki Tom
Re: lowering a SEUC?
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 03:40:12 PM »

Ok, 1 more question on this subject (for now)...

If I lower my ultra with HD's profile front & rear, does anyone know if I'll have to change the jiffy stand also?
Live - Love - Ride

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 03:44:21 PM »

It will effect the lean angle while on the jiffy stand.  Bike will be more upright requiring more care when parking on uneven ground. I believe you can get by without modifying the stand.
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 03:50:35 PM »

Might as well chime in and tell you how poor the Profile Rear Shocks are. The Standard length 13" for the RK uses up to 30 PSI. The Profile 12" with the SERK requires 50PSI for the same weight, MGVW. They still bottom and top out! I'm very disappointed in them and am converting my suspension back to standard height. Front is done. Waiting on the final testing of the Italian BiTubo shocks, through Traxxion Dynamics, that Chief's testing right now. I'd hate to see you spend that kind of bread and be miserable when you're done. Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 03:53:08 PM »

Anyone have suggestions on a good suspension kit to lower a SEUC?

Are these parts ok or is there something better?
HD-pn: 54628-06    Touring Front Lowering Kit
HD-pn: 54631-02B   Profile Low Touring Shocks

Does the jiffy stand need to be changed?

White Bros. used to sell a lowering kit for the rear that simply moved the lower shock mount rearward which in turn lowers the rear of the bike. It was around $125, far cheaper than replacing shocks.

I don't know if it is still available, but I would expect so.

TexasBowhunter

• Senior CVO Member
  • 09 Street Glide
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 05:52:16 PM »

Ditto on what Chief just said, Thats the thing to do rather then buying a new/used OEM low profile set of shocks or for that matter any shock out there...
get the standard 13" and get the lowering kit 1"-1.5" kits are available...
This will inturn give you the other wise missed travel that the lower profile shocks don't have with the 13" and still get the lowered feel and look...
But if you just have to have a set of the OEM lower 12" give me a PM, I am certainly considering taking them off...
paul
Ride safe

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 12:29:34 AM »

As i stated earlier you will be disatisfied with the low air shocks from HD, and a s chief stated the lowering mounts aer availible and work very well keeping your stock shocks and travel

I have used these for several people with good results:
http://dragspecialties.com/fatbook/12/343/3898278

screem

• Senior CVO Member
  • Ride Sober
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2007, 09:05:57 AM »

I had a set of White bros lowering blocks on an ol 91 FLHS when they frist came out in the early 90's. by moving the shocks back you change handling and they rubbed the paint on the bags...took em off and ordered a set of lowered air shocks that were meant to fit a FXFT, of the same era...worked like a charm,   When my bike was new and under warrenty, the right side shock leaked its fluid out....Harley would only replace the one defective shock, I wanted to put the lowered shocks on at that time...so a little motor oil on the other one, and they decided to replace both....i had them ordeer the lowered shock as the replacements, there was a slight cost differnce of about ten or fifteen bucks i had to pay, I have hadthe lowered air shocks on for 7 years now and never have had a bottom out or top out problem with them
2000 FLTRSEI
1995 Fatboy... Apes, Foot Clutch,Jockey Shift 6Gal Tanks/Flames
 RIDE SOBER

BayouBiker

• 1K CVO Member

• photos by Tiki Tom
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2007, 10:40:48 AM »

But if you just have to have a set of the OEM lower 12" give me a PM, I am certainly considering taking them off...

Thanks for the offer Bowhunter, I'm still 'on the fence' regarding the lowering blocks v. shorter shocks.

Has anyone else used the lowering blocks and had any rubbing on the bags issue as mentioned by screem?

Argghh...decisions..:nixweiss:..decisions

Maybe I should just think about it while putting on some miles!
Live - Love - Ride

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 01:03:43 AM »

Ok, 1 more question on this subject (for now)...

If I lower my ultra with HD's profile front & rear, does anyone know if I'll have to change the jiffy stand also?
the answer to your question is: you should either change the jiffy stand to a shorter one or use a 'wedge' under the stock jiffy stand to put the scooter back on a correct 'lean angle'.  If you don't, it will stand up too straight and be at risk for high-siding....from someone bumping against it or even a strong wind gust.  I've always used the chrome wedge on all lowered bikes.  Easy and cheap!  ::) har!  :drink: spyder
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 01:06:04 AM by spydglide »
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

BayouBiker

• 1K CVO Member

• photos by Tiki Tom
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 01:51:54 PM »

the answer to your question is: you should either change the jiffy stand to a shorter one or use a 'wedge' under the stock jiffy stand to put the scooter back on a correct 'lean angle'.  If you don't, it will stand up too straight and be at risk for high-siding....from someone bumping against it or even a strong wind gust.  I've always used the chrome wedge on all lowered bikes.  Easy and cheap!  ::) har!  :drink: spyder

where can I find this 'chrome wedge'?  It it an HD part or does it have to be custom made?

Thanks!
Live - Love - Ride

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 01:58:58 PM »

where can I find this 'chrome wedge'?  It it an HD part or does it have to be custom made?

Thanks!

Aftermarket suppliers.....I've used the Pro One billet wedge and some other manufactor, can't remember who now.....but they will be listed in the larger suppliers catalogs (like Custom Chrome, etc.).  :) spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 21 queries.