Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: True track  (Read 8106 times)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Re: True track
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2007, 04:17:41 AM »

Mark, one thing I discovered (at least on mine) recently.  The RideStr8 device can stand a bit of regular maintenance.  The heim joints on that rear cross link can get awfully stiff living in all the mess and muck they are exposed to. 

Had to unhook the outboard link on mine recently to allow a path to remove a harness from an o2 sensor.  The joint moved, but only with effort that was too significant to be comfortable.  A little WD40 and some compressed air got it moving again completely freely.  Cleaned up both ends while I was at it.  Think that doing this will now be part of the bikes annual spring clean-up and service.

Twolanerider,

Thanks for the tip. I'll check mine and clean and lube the joints.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2007, 09:37:05 AM »

I went with the "full meal deal" with Tru-trak.

When I had my mishap recently (oldtimers I think) the bike did great, but I have been tinking.  It took a pretty good lick and when we got it back on the road it was like nothing happend.

I would speculate the all of the Tru-trak stuff including the metal bushing etc. had to have added to the bikes ability to withstand the tossing and twisting it went through going down.  Specualtion I admit, but I have gone 500 miles or so since the mishap and it is straight and true as before.

I don't have a good comparison of just the Tru-trak add since I also did the Traxxion forks and 440's at the same time, but I know these are all mods I will do on any new bagger I get, based on the improved handling of the bike after the mods.  Now if the rider could keep up with the bike I'd be in great shape.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2007, 07:05:01 PM »

Mark, one thing I discovered (at least on mine) recently.  The RideStr8 device can stand a bit of regular maintenance.  The heim joints on that rear cross link can get awfully stiff living in all the mess and muck they are exposed to. 

Had to unhook the outboard link on mine recently to allow a path to remove a harness from an o2 sensor.  The joint moved, but only with effort that was too significant to be comfortable.  A little WD40 and some compressed air got it moving again completely freely.  Cleaned up both ends while I was at it.  Think that doing this will now be part of the bikes annual spring clean-up and service.

TwoLaneRider,

Well I cleaned the Heim joints, and you were right. They needed cleaning and oiling. I was amazed at the amount of gunk and stuff that came out of the joints. In addition to crud and dirt, part of the ball surfaces were worn and scored. I polished them as best as possible with extra fine steel wool and WD40, then lubed them with White Lithium Grease before reinstalling.

I guess this will be another once a year thing to do.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2007, 07:07:38 PM »

TwoLaneRider,

Well I cleaned the Heim joints, and you were right. They needed cleaning and oiling. I was amazed at the amount of gunk and stuff that came out of the joints. In addition to crud and dirt, part of the ball surfaces were worn and scored. I polished them as best as possible with extra fine steel wool and WD40, then lubed them with White Lithium Grease before reinstalling.

I guess this will be another once a year thing to do.

Mark

Precisely the same on the red bike Mark. 

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2007, 07:32:04 PM »

Does the True Track require this too? :confused5: Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2007, 08:02:45 PM »

I don't know, I am unfamiliar with the Tru-Track set up.

I'm surprised that no one has come up with some kind of rubber boot, or condom to put over those things to keep the crud out. But it's not a big deal to clean and lube it, I did it in less than half an hour. I bet if I hit it regularly with WD40 and lube that would help a lot.

Mark

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2007, 08:16:07 PM »

Pretty sure there is a heim joint at each end of the stabilizer link that goes between the brace in the dog bone and the bracket that surrounds the transmission pan.  That being so from what we've seen here I'd give them at least a once-a-year clean and lube.  A little WD-40, silicone or other spray a little more often couldn't hurt anything.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2007, 07:53:24 AM »

Howie, I think you posted this somewhere else, but did you notice much difference when you installed your True Track.

Gettting ready to install a SE  6 Spd.Trans in my '06. And am going back with Sto Bo Bushings. According to Kevin at Sta-Bo,these do the same thing as the Tru-Track by "limiting the lateral travel of the swingarm. We will see>>>Said that I didn't need both products on...:let you all know next week>>>>Greg
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 07:55:47 AM by Texas 103 »
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2007, 02:23:21 PM »

Gettting ready to install a SE  6 Spd.Trans in my '06. And am going back with Sto Bo Bushings. According to Kevin at Sta-Bo,these do the same thing as the Tru-Track by "limiting the lateral travel of the swingarm. We will see>>>Said that I didn't need both products on...:let you all know next week>>>>Greg

Installed the Sta-BO's rode to Hot Springs and back>>> Bike handles great , can't deal with the Extra vibration they create yanked em out Reinstalled Tru-Trac and away we go>>>  >>>> Greg
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2007, 03:58:21 PM »

Installed the Sta-BO's rode to Hot Springs and back>>> Bike handles great , can't deal with the Extra vibration they create yanked em out Reinstalled Tru-Trac and away we go>>>  >>>> Greg

Greg, did you notice any difference in handling from one to the other? Which worked best, viberation was pretty bad??

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2007, 05:04:33 PM »

From my discussion with Kevin Sta-Bo and only Sta-Bo is any good.  He trashed every other device.  Hey if you got the goods then you can brag I guess.  But I just didn't like his attitude and from the problems others have had with virbations I don't think Sta-Bo is the answer and the only answer.  JMO

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2007, 05:13:09 PM »

Ask MJZ how he likes the True-Track on Elvis.  Just bought one for LD. Can't wait to get it on 

IMHO  It's True-Track or you're off track    ;D

B B

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2007, 08:36:12 PM »

Ask MJZ how he likes the True-Track on Elvis.  Just bought one for LD. Can't wait to get it on 

IMHO  It's True-Track or you're off track    ;D

B B

I ground the TT flange to a nub, got worried and tried a ride str8..It is tucked up a little higer and seems to work as well.  Any improvement, plus progressise 440.  I am waiting(saving) on the traxxion struts for the front.

Miker

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2007, 09:16:47 PM »

I ground the TT flange to a nub,

Any chance you took a pic of what had happened?

twojay

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2007, 10:32:18 PM »

I saw a new version of the true track on the fbi (fat bagger inc) website today under their new products. Any thoughts as to whether or not the new version is better than the old one? Before I get the "worthless without pics" thread,   ;D   if someone will tell me how to send a link when posting a reply I will do it. I thought there was  a way to do this on my toolbar but if so I can't find it now.   
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 21 queries.