Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: lowering 08 SEUC  (Read 2407 times)

rayz1951

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

lowering 08 SEUC
« on: August 19, 2007, 09:14:43 AM »

I sat on the new SEUC and noticed a significant difference in the seat height.  The dealer didn't know if I could lower the bike like I did with my 03 Ultra.  Does anyone know if there's a lowering kit for the 08's?

Thanks
Ray Z
RayZ

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Re: lowering 08 SEUC
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 10:38:37 AM »

Ray, welcome to the site!  The suspension on the SE is the same as regular production Electra Glides, so no reason why the below Harley items wouldn't work (silly dealer):

Touring Front Lowering Kit <-----click link

ProfileĀ® Low Touring Shocks <-----click link

Having said that, there are better options available such as Traxxion Dynamics for the front and Traxxion or Progressive shocks and Legend Air Suspension for the rear.  Do a search on the site here for information on those products.  There are several folks here using them and there have been quite a few informative posts made about all of them.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 12:30:26 PM by 103tHunDer »

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 11:36:40 AM »

Ray, welcome to the site.

I've got a 29" inseam...I have an 06 SEUC and had difficulty in walking the bike around when stopped, trying to back it up, park it, etc.  As 103 mentioned, the HD lowering products will WORK on your bike, but in my opinion, the stock suspension on the bike leaves a LOT to be desired in the first place, and replacing it with the same stuff is throwing good money at a bad configuration. 

It's all about how much money you want to spend, and how good you want the suspension to be on your bike.  It's not going to make the bike faster, but it will make the bike's overall ride and performance better, plus get you lower in the process.

I can tell you, and if you search the threads on Traxxion Dynamics, you will read further confirmation, that what they do to the front forks on our bikes is absolutely a night and day difference in handling, ride, and safety.  They also offer an excellent shock, Bitubo, which is available in stock length, or approximately 1" shorter.  The Legend Air Ride is another option, and is the one I chose at the time I did my work.  This system is able to drop the rear end of the bike a little over 3", making a huge difference in getting your feet flat on the ground when you need them to be there.  But, it ain't cheap.

You have excellent brakes on your new bike with the Brembo calipers.  If you want to take full advantage of what your bike's brakes have to offer, the Traxxion fork rebuild will provide that for you.  Again, it's not cheap, but in my opinion, the best money you can spend on your bike.  They are able to set them up for you at stock height, or an inch lower...really, anywhere you want them to be, within reason.

After Traxxion did the forks on my SEUC, the difference was so dramatic that I had to have it done on my Vrod too.  I also put their Bitubo shocks on the rear of the V, and cannot say enough good things about that combination.  Excellent shock.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 11:56:57 AM »

Ray,

Dealer should be shot for not looking this up for you.  From H-D website, the '08 CUSE3 would use the items listed in the attachment.  As the other folks mentioned, you may want to look at aftermarket alternatives, especially for the rear shocks.  The Harley Profile shocks have very little travel and limp damping, making for a less than comfortable ride in all but ideal conditions.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 02:32:53 PM »

Ray,

I have had my 08 SEUC for a couple of weeks now.  I think it is the seat.  I had an 02 Ultra and could not only put my feet flat on the ground, but also had a pretty good bend in my knees.  My inseam is about 32", but the 08 SEUC was too high for me.  Looking for differences between the two bikes, the only thing that I could tell was noticeably different is that the seat on the 08 looks like it is maybe about 2" thicker.

I tried to reduce the amount of air in the rear shocks to about 15 lbs, and that made very little difference.  I have now installed the Burley Lowering kit.  This will lower about 1' - 1.5" and is cheap (about $90).  This kit just moves the mounting point for the rear shocks back and down slightly, but does nothing to improve the suspension.  With both me and my wife riding, I had to air the shocks back up because when I hit a dip in the road, I heard the rear tire touch the fender a couple of times. :o

I thought about going to the shorter shocks also, but I think I am about as low as I can go and keep the fender away from the rear tire.  I will probably try to lower the front next to get it a little lower.

DanB

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 10:43:39 PM »

Experiencing the same feeling...somewhat vertically challanged. Got the Harley "short shocks, or lowering shocks" installed them somewhere around 5/15 and already leaking oil in right one. Called dealer, 90 day warranty is all they offer. So, I am out of warranty. Put the stock shocks back on. Really, at this point I am not sure I really feel a difference. However, I did notice that the front wheel tends to turn to the right much quicker at nearly stopping speed, causing the nearly tip over, etc. Even dropped the bike already in the drive way, and never did that before.

So, in search on the web found something on Ebay called

RUB LOWERING

ADJUSTABLE

2002 TO 2008

R.U.B.LOWERING KIT) LOWER THAT HARLEY ELECTRAGLIDE ULTRA /CLASSIC/STANDARD AND ROADKINGS STREETGLIDES OR ROADGLIDES WITH HARD PAINTED BAGSANY OF MY KITS WILL WORK!

COPING PEOPLE NEED TO BE ALITTLE MORE CREATIVE.YOU GUYS WHO KNOW WHO YOU ARE HAVE TO LOOK AT YOUR SORRY DULL INSUCURE SELFS IN THE MIRROR AND STILL REALIZE THAT YOU WERE JUST AS SORRY IN HIGHSCHOOL AS YOU ARE NOW.START THINKING FOR YOURSELFS.I CHOOSE NOT TO SHOW PICTURES OF MY KITS BECAUSE OF THIS REASON.ENJOY

LOWER THE SEAT HEIGHT A REAL 2 "AT THE SEAT.OR OPT FOR THE 1 1/4 DROP.TWO DIFFERENT SETTINGS.NO NEED FOR COUNTING THREADS MEASURING BOLTS .JUST PUT THE BOLT IN THE HOLE.WE ALL CAN DO THAT.THINK ABOUT IT.PUT BOTH FEET DOWN FLAT.HELPS WITH STOPPING AND TAKE OFFS AND JUST LOOKING GOOD.

CLEARS ALL HARD PAINTED SADDLEBAGS.NO BOTTOMING OUT, NO RUBBING ON FENDER .A REAL WELL MADE PIECE.

SIMPLE INSTALL.20min.COMES WITH SIMPLE TO READ DIRECTIONS.USES YOUR ORIGINAL AIR SHOCKS AND HARDWEAR.BOLTS UP TO STOCK SHOCK LOCATION NO GRINDING NO CUTTING BOLTS RIGHT UP..

YOU WONT BE DISAPOINTED!!

I HAVE SOLD OVER 2000 KITS WITH OUT ANY NEGATIVE FEEDBACKS ON EBAY.AND OVER 3000 KITS OFF EBAY.
WHY PUT SOMETHING MADE IN ANOTHER COUNTRY OR FOR THAT MATTER COPIED RIGHT HERE IN THIS GREAT COUNTRYON YOUR HARLEY.

BEWARE OF IMPOSTORS !!OFTEN IMITATED BUT NEVER DUPLICATED!!

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

I ALSO HAVE A 3" DROP KIT FOR SOLO RIDERS.AND SHOW BIKES.IT WORKS GREAT FOR THE WOMEN RIDERS ALSO, WHEN THERE STEPPING UP TO A ROADKING OR ANOTHER TOURING BIKE. IT ALSO REALLY SETS A SHOW BIKE OFF!! .IF YOUR INTO THAT SLAMMED LOOK LIKE MYSELF THEN THIS KIT IS FOR YOU...

MADE HERE IN THE U.S.A BY AMERICANS FOR AMERICANS!

I think this sounds something like what L. Rebel has installed, just a diffent name. Price is about the same.

Question now.

Does it work?????

DanB

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 21 queries.