Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need Tires - suggestions ?  (Read 2160 times)

beerman

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Need Tires - suggestions ?
« on: September 13, 2007, 09:28:32 AM »

Need F&R on the 2007 FXSTSSE - MH90-21 and 200/55r-17 --stock
Might stay with stock on front due to clearance issues - in back perhaps a 210/50r-17 Metzler 880
Thoughts?
Will the 210 fit ( same as all the other 200 rear Softys BTW ) ?? Looks like it will.
Mix and match or do I need the Metz front too
Stick with Factory Dunlap?
Thanks
-Beerman
2008 FLHX, 1997 FLSTS, 1982 BMW R65

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
Re: Need Tires - suggestions ?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 12:06:49 PM »

I've run Metzeler , Avon , and 2 types of Dunlop.  from my experience I'd recommend the AM41/42 Venoms from Avon , the Metzelers are fine tires too.  90/90x21 fr . in the rear 1 up from stock usually fits , but not 2.
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

bdas2

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 12:08:53 PM »

I always run Metzelers with no problems, and a great soft ride

Scooterhair

• Senior CVO Member
  • DSP Member # 637.3
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 10:27:29 AM »

I always run Metzelers with no problems, and a great soft ride

I will second this.  I will only run these from now on.

Scooter  :coolblue:
2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8
2008 1500 RAM 4x4
2001 Blue FLTRSEI2
2003 Neosho trailer painted to match bike
1999 Blue Ness custom ( SOLD )
1997 Black & Champagne Wide Glide (The Wife's)
Big Ass 21' Dodge 3500

megavolt17

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 01:03:05 PM »

Not sure if they will fit a CVO Harley but I have Michelin Commanders these on my FLTRI. Michelin used to make poor bike tires and stopped making a lot of their bike tires. Then they designed the Michelin Commander tires which have reviewed very well in touring online articles and magazines.

The Michelin rubber is pretty soft but designed to wear almost as well as Dunlops due to the way they contact the road. Advantages are the ride (a lot of bumps cease to exist), cornering traction (can you say scrape the floor boards and still feel secure), and if you do slide the tire it's still controllable (reviews and personal experience).

I know when I had the stock Dunlops if I slid I lost all traction and that was panic time. With these if I slide I still have moderate traction and can still control the bike. I ALMOST like it when the tires pass their traction limits and start to slide because it's a rush to ride through it (usually without even putting a foot down). I've hit an ice patch and a patch of pea sized gravel dropped from a truck while cornering and slid quite a bit and still controlled the bike without touching a foot down - it was scary yet pretty cool. I almost went back both times to try it again! (which also scares me - is playing like that with a 700+ lbs bike a sane thing to do?)

Megavolt17
Megavolt17

2008 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic Electra Glide (FLHTCUSE3)
105th Anniversary Crystal Copper and Black Onyx
HD High Intensity Discharge (HID) Dual Bulb Headlamp
HD Illuminated LED Windshield Molding Kit
HD Air Wing Tour-Pak Luggage Rack with Smoked Lens LED Rack Light
Küryakyn Panacea Blue Dot Smoked LED Taillights and Turn Signals
"Roll Your Own" SE Air Cleaner
SE Street Performance Touring Mufflers
SE Race Tuner
Traxxion AK-20 cartridges
Bitubo HD 300mm shocks

dsmbagger

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 10:08:05 PM »

the Metzelers will look good and ride great. The 210 will fit but its a little more lower profile that the stock dunlop. It will give the rear fender a little bit of a raised look...JMHO....

WVULTRA

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 10:44:34 PM »

FWIW:

Bud and I were ready to order E3s for our '07&'06 Ultras.  Was going with the same size MT90B on the front and MU90B on the rear.  Factory uses MU85B D402s on the rear, and I called Dunlop Tech Support to see if the published specs were accurate for the E3s since they were within "hundreths" of an inch vs the D402s.

Well, I got a real a$$hole on the phone from Dunlop, and he very rudely stated the E3s were not recommended for the late Ultras; especially the rear since it was an MU90 and the stock size is MU85.

I understand there's always the liability issue; but, IMO, his attitude and reasoning were total BS!!!!!

So we have a set of the new Michelins coming for both bikes first of next week and unless I'm forced to I will never buy another Dunlop tire!

Of course, YMMV.

:drink:
'07 Ultra Classic
Axtell Mountain Motor 107" 
Baisley Stage II Heads
HPI 48 Conversion TB
SE Intake w/Zippers Max-Flow
Rinehart Tru Duals
TTS MasterTune
'08 Brembo Conversion

kcworks

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 09:30:54 PM »

I put a E3 on the rear of my cuse2 about 1500 miles ago. Yes the MU90B16 will fit just fine in place of the MU85B16. As a madder of fact the E3 is slightly narrower that the 402. The height is a bit taller on the E3 than stock but I GPSed my speedo and it's dead on. Also I ride two up a lot and really like the handling of the E3 so far. Now I'll see on tire wear, my original rear I got 10,000 miles and it wasn't quite down to the wear bars yet. With riding two up I had it changed anyway.

Terminator

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 11:00:36 AM »

I wore out my Dunlop rear tire at 6300, partly because of dyno-tuning which makes a rear tire square off real quick.  Then ran through three metzler 880s at about 7000-7500 each.  The Metzlers handled better overall and hardly noticed roadsnakes or rain grooves.  The only thing I didn't like about them was that they were a significant amount larger in diameter than the Dunlops that made the bike lean over more onto the jiffy stand and low speed handling was somewhat more interesting until I got used to them.  I put a set of Avon Venoms on about 1600 miles ago and they are definitely the stickiest in turns and cold rain.  They also are very close to the Dunlops in diameter so the low speed handling two-up is better IMO.  They give a little more feedback from rain grooves and roadsnakes but not nearly as bad as the Dunlops.  They give me a more solid feel in the long bouncy sweepers than the Metz (I believe because of the lower profile causing less rear steer).  If they last as well as the Metz I'll be sticking with the Venom's.  They just feel better to me and I ride pretty hard through the turns.  This has all been experienced on an 06 FLHTCUSE. 
09 FLHTCUSE Red
2010 Road King Scarlet & Black
Wife's ride - 2010 FLHXXX Black

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 12:45:30 AM »

Beerman,

I switched 07 and the 04 seeg back over to the Metzlers and couldnt be happier, the bikes track better than with the dunlops, especially on grated roads like the bridges we have here in florida, and the construction zones where they have grinded up the pavement and have not repaved yet or the concrete that they leave grooves in.   On top of that the bike handles curves much better.   My wife and rhino are also very happy with the Metzlers.   I will not go back to the dunlops except in the case where on the road a tire blows like the last time I was in maggie valley and they did not have metzlers in stock at Charlotte HD.   I put some miles on the tires and switched them back to Metzlers due to the reasons stated above.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.