Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rubbing sound coming from rear tire  (Read 4136 times)

evilmikehoo

• Responsible Irresponsibility
  • Junior CVO Member
  • A Harley, a hot tub & a good woman to share them

• CVO1: FXSTSSE - Canyon Copper
Rubbing sound coming from rear tire
« on: September 16, 2007, 11:34:09 AM »

Yesterday, I began hearing what I can only describe as a haunting moaning wind sound coming from the rear of the bike. Thought it might be the tire rubbing for some reason, but can't seem to find any indication of this. The bike's an '07 FXSTSSE and I just had the rear tire replaced about 200 miles ago. There's currently about 4500 miles on the bike. Anybody have any ideas? It has been rather damp here lately.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Rubbing sound coming from rear tire
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 12:57:48 PM »

Yesterday, I began hearing what I can only describe as a haunting moaning wind sound coming from the rear of the bike. Thought it might be the tire rubbing for some reason, but can't seem to find any indication of this. The bike's an '07 FXSTSSE and I just had the rear tire replaced about 200 miles ago. There's currently about 4500 miles on the bike. Anybody have any ideas? It has been rather damp here lately.
Mike,

Most likely thing to check is the rear axle torque, belt alignment, and belt tension.  The belt will generate all kinds of weird noises if too tight/loose or if misaligned.  Not sure about the current models, but it also used to be possible to cause axle bearings to make noise and/or fail if the axle nut was overtorqued.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

hogasm

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 11:54:26 PM »

I think I would have the dealer check things out. You only got 4300 miles out of your rear tire. Not too good. At least I get 6200 out of mine and that is sub par.

evilmikehoo

• Responsible Irresponsibility
  • Junior CVO Member
  • A Harley, a hot tub & a good woman to share them

• CVO1: FXSTSSE - Canyon Copper
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 09:28:21 AM »

The tire was bald and actually went flat! I'm not hard on the bike at all - never spin the tire - although I thought I lost my "need for speed" a long time ago 'til I got this bike! Lol!! Dealer picked up the bike and installed the new rear tire - same as original - The Dunlop 200mm. I thought I shoulda got more outta the tire myself, but the dealer told me, here we go, "That's normal" for this particular tire - usually about 5,000 mi. I had my 5,000 mi. service done since they had the bike. Total bill was $512!! Hmmm!! guess I gotta start a separate savings account just to own this thing! Anyway, after I got the bike back, it was fine for the last 3 weeks 'til the other day when my Lady and I went for a ride. Started moaning right off the bat. I ride daily since the bike is my primary mode of transportation. Thought maybe it was from riding 2 up, but it still moans with just me as well (she spends about a third of riding time on the bike anyway). Had the bike out yesterday with the 2 of us. It's still moaning, but does seem to have dissipated somewhat.

103_RK

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 07:13:29 AM »

If the belt is not rubbing the tire, make sure the tire is not rubbing against the rear belt gaurd.  I had to move my belt gaurd a little on my SERK to stop it from rubbing the tire.
103 RK
2003 FLHRSEI2

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 11:06:40 AM »

You might check the wiring bundle and make sure they didn't mess with it when the changed the tire. 

Mine didn't get re-attached after some servicing and was dragging on the tire.

electraglideclyde

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • GA

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 05:49:28 PM »

My bike started doing the same thing after my 1K service.  It would only do it when the wife was riding with me.  The drive belt is too tight and when you add the extra weight of a passenger, it starts making noise.  They have obviously adjusted the belt too toght when thay replaced your rear tire.  Take it back and have them check the tension on the belt. :o
Hair of the Dog

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 04:52:18 PM »

My bike started doing the same thing after my 1K service.  It would only do it when the wife was riding with me.  The drive belt is too tight and when you add the extra weight of a passenger, it starts making noise.  They have obviously adjusted the belt too toght when thay replaced your rear tire.  Take it back and have them check the tension on the belt. :o
evilmikehoo,

What clyde said - odds are that your belt tension was not set correctly.  This seems to be a quite common occurrence, and I assume that is due to the "techs" not checking the current specs and just winging the whole thing.  I've gotten my bikes back after a tire change with the belt sloppy loose or tight as a banjo string.  Complicating the whole thing is the fact that H-D has changed the specs and the checking method a few times over the past 10 years or so.  All the specs were changed again for the '07 model year (see attachment).

You may want to invest in a belt tension gauge, or at least arm yourself with the specs and insist on watching the "tech" while he uses one to reset your belt tension.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 21 queries.