Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shocks  (Read 2276 times)

mmazzone4444

Shocks
« on: October 01, 2007, 05:43:15 PM »

I have a 2005 SEEG and 2003 Heritage Springer.  Everytime I ride the SEEG I hit bumps and my back get's hammered, I never have the same issues with the softail.  I am about to spend 500.00 :orange: :orange: on progressive 440 shocks.  Any thoughts.........................MAM

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
Re: Shocks
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 05:46:33 PM »

My thoughts are that you and your passenger will luv em. Stock air shocks are painful and unworthy of such a fine ride.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 05:58:37 PM »

I have a 2005 SEEG and 2003 Heritage Springer.  Everytime I ride the SEEG I hit bumps and my back get's hammered, I never have the same issues with the softail.  I am about to spend 500.00 :orange: :orange: on progressive 440 shocks.  Any thoughts.........................MAM

Or, spend another 100 bucks and get a pair of Bitubo 300mm shocks from Traxxion Dynamics.  Even better ride than the Progressives, and 3 way adjustable.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 06:27:26 PM »

In ’05 Milwaukee lowered both the front and rear of the SEEG. IMHO, the ride quality would improve dramatically by increasing the front suspension travel to the standard height. If I were running a 2005 SEEG, I would raise both the front and rear to the standard height; JMHO.

djkak

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 06:48:18 PM »

In ’05 Milwaukee lowered both the front and rear of the SEEG. IMHO, the ride quality would improve dramatically by increasing the front suspension travel to the standard height. If I were running a 2005 SEEG, I would raise both the front and rear to the standard height; JMHO.

djkak

I have a set of standard height stock rear air shocks hanging on the wall of my garage that are take-offs from my 2007 SEUC if you are interested...  These take the rear of the bike to the standard height that djkak mentions.    I replaced them with Legend Air Suspension.  They have zero miles on them - never saw the road.  PM me if you are interested.

Scott

« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 06:50:31 PM by sadunbar »
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

TexasBowhunter

• Senior CVO Member
  • 09 Street Glide
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 07:45:28 PM »

let me kinda bring you guys up to speed on what I've done here...
I am no means a shock expert but I believe I know what I like in the way of a quaility ride...
1 yr. ago I purchased a set of 12" shocks from a member and when they arrived there was fluid all over the box in which they were shipped in...I seemed to remember somewhere that the fluid could be changed or at least put back in, so a search was on the way to re-confirm this...BINGO, I found what I was hoping to find along with the stock shocks are a POS and just go get a new set of Progressives...
Well as cheap as I am, I wanted to try and re-use the stock set first before I invested in a newer set due to the fact that I liked the idea of having the air to adjust the ride...
So I had the shocks in hand and found some 7.5 wt shock fluid from one of the local indy shops and and began my little adventure...First I had to drain all the old fluid out and this I found to be the most time consumming process out of the entire ordeal...I had to create a rocking motion with the shock to get the fluid out...I removed the fluid and measured it and to my amazement, the amount of fluid that I had measured wasn't the same amount that was called for on the search I did...OK no big deal it was close and there was fluid all over the box so this would account for the absence of fluid in the shock that I picked up for the experiment...
After both shocks were full and I had them on the bike and bolted in I tried to pump some air in them but had a leak so as I was fumbling with them I had some of the fluid running out all over me and the shock...never gave it a bit of thought about this...Just alittle to much...
The 12" were on now and for the last year were working beautifully and buy the way still are...Personally I didn't notice how much better the 12" shocks handled because I never got to ride the stock 12" with the factory fluid...I let my friend Karl (KDietz) ride my bike after I overhauled the front forks with the progressive system, when he returned he was in shock as to how well the bike rode with the 12" shocks on...
Fast forward a week or so he had asked for some help with his front end putting in a Raceteck system so we swapped bikes so I could get started before he arrived the following day...The evenning we swapped he had his lovely wife on the back and when he returned he commented on how much nicer the bike rode over his 13"...My reply is I dont understand Ifigured the stock 13" would out perform the stock 12" alltogether...All I did was change the fluid out to something heavier...
After getting a bit more educated on the loss of travel that 12" over the 13" had I wanted to put the 13" back on, however I didn't want the 13" stock riding height...So I ordered a 1" lowering kit form TJ Products which keep the shock angle the same as stock...I proceeded to install it right before the ride in the Rockies along with the group...I was riding alone and had the bags full and had my leathers in the touring pack and there was many times I was bottoming out...Ok I need more air...so I took it from 16# to 20# then up to 22# and still bottomed out...Now this was with just me on it...I felt like it was the dampening system in the shock that needed to be slowed down and corrected very much like I had done on the 12" unknowingly...
I when I got back I talked with Karl about the experience I had with the 13" shocks and to my surprise he was getting the same results...
Went to the indy shop where I got the 1st -7.5 wt quart and they didn't have any...Called Pipers Performance here locally and found that they had some 7.5/10wt synthetic...SWEET Just what I was looking for...Went and picked his brain on what we were doing and he confirmed that we were on the right path to improvement on the stock shocks...Personally I value what Cliff has to say due to the fact that he was Racetechs #1 shop on the west coast for like 10-12 years straight...I figure that in itself speaks for alot as far as a suspension guru...
So Saturday after we (Karl and I) each bought a quart we proceed to install it in our shocks at my house...
We started with his bike since he had 1 side of exhaust and mine had 2...1 shock would be cooler then the other on his bike...We removed the shocks and when they were on the bench we removed the quick release connection for the air line...Now the Rocking began with the shock in hand and this proved to be as slow as I rememebered it the last time I did it...(There has to be a faster more productive method)...There was if I had the fittings so I dug around while he was rocking the shock drainning the fluid slowwwly...Bingo, I found a 1/8" mpt fitting with a barb that would now attach to my mighty vac line...
Oh man, was this to prove to be a great idea...just sucked the fluid right out like nobodys buissness...
(enclosed a pic...)

Ride safe

TexasBowhunter

• Senior CVO Member
  • 09 Street Glide
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 07:45:53 PM »

After the fluid was evactated we proceed to install the new fluid in the shocks with a turkey baster...worked last time and contuned to work this time...
(enclosed a pic...)
After the fluid was at the top of the hole where the quick release fitting was removed, I applied my weight on top of it to allow it to burp and release some of the excess fluid...Very little came out...Ok now on to the next...
repeated process 3 other times because we did mine after we did his...
After the install we went for a ride...I had put 15# of air in the system and found the ride to be extremely firm, firm enough to indicate the ride quality in the lower part of my back...I released half the volume of air that was in the shocks (8#) and when I did the ride improved but still not to my liking...still a bit firmer then what I had hoped for...
Sunday My wife and I and Karl and His wife went for a ride and still with the 8# of air volume in from the day before we both rode around the DFW area and when it did bottom out it wasn't the abrupt bottoming out I had experienced but a much softer more controlled bottoming out which sat alot better with me...The ride did improve with the 2 of us on there...naturally this got me to thinking some more about the shocks and what could be done to improve the ride somemore...
Sunday and Monday I thought about this...
What I came up with was I figured I needed to remove a bit more fluid from the shocks, but I needed to remove the fluid equally...So off to ACE hardware store for some fittings...
I got 2 ea. 1/8" mpt fitting with a 1/4" compressing fitting on the other end
I got 2 ea. 1/8" mpt fitting with a 3/16" barb that would slip into the hose...
1/4 od hose 4' long
Now the mpt fitting with the barb would be attached to thehose and cap of a container while at the other end of the hose was the 1/8" mpt fitting with the compression fitting. This would be screwed into the 1/8" mpt threads where the quick release fitting would go...
Then after both adapters were made, the moment of truth became more pervailent...
I jacked the bike up and removed the quick release fitting, but I left the hose hooked up while I removed the fitting and installed the lasted creation of mine...After both were installed and snugged up, I lowered the bike...With just the weight of the bike there was fluid being pushed out into the lines and container...Then very gingerly I climbed atop the bike and sat on the seat and released yet more fluid...After I was convinced there was no more to flow out with me on it...I climbed off and removed the fittings and reinstalled the quick release fittings...
Note when I finished the volume of fluid were now equal in both shocks and I felt I knew this because the fluid in the containers were not of equal amounts...I believe there was air and some loss of fluid in the beginning which wasn't equalized...I feel that they are equal now because both valves were open and weight was applied, equally applied and uniformity was addressed...
(Enclosed a pic)

I went for a ride with 8# of air in the shocks and let me tell you what a night and day difference I just made was...
The ride was so much better then it was before...I still felt that there was a bit much air in the shocks so I released 3# and now it rides like I had hoped it would with just me on it...No bottoming out and a ride that personally I feel should be what Showa should be shooting for...
What I did with the shocks Monday with my weight applied on them I feel was I set the shocks up for me and my weight...Kinda fine tunning them and not mass producing them with a formula that would work for everybody...
Personally this should work with anyone, anysize and have a shock that is set up for him or her and not have to worry about the lack of ride the stock shocks gave but how they could be improved on and how they should feel...
Food for thought
I'm not saying this would/will work for everyone but it certainnly can't hurt and for the price of a quart and some of your time one morning it's well worth a shot before you go out and spent big $$$ on something else you may not need...
Also while we're on the subject for those of you that have access to the DB system that was such a nightmare for some...The DB system can be incorperated with the stock air shocks so you can adjust on the fly...
Thats yet another story possible to come...

Ride Safe
paul
Ride safe

displacing air

• Elite CVO Member
  • I am glad God answers no sometimes!
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 09:45:25 PM »

I have the Progressive 440s and just ordered the Traxxion Dynamics Bitibo shocks...

The 440's have been great over the stock but a little bouncy in the turns.
I will have a set of 440s for sale cheap by the end of Oct.

Barry
2006 SEUC ...Watermelon Flavor!

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 07:16:40 PM »

I put a set of Progressive 440's and a True-Track on LD this weekend. Man what a ride. While LD is about 100lbs heavier than Elvis, it still had that same almost sport bike feel. It carves corners instead of hunting for a way around them. The ride while a little stiffer is sooooooo much more stable that it's like the bike is 100lbs lighter. I guess next up is going to have to be the Traxion Dynamics front end work. I've heard too many good reports not to want it.

B B

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 21 queries.