Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Low Speed Wobble  (Read 18859 times)

REGGAB

Re: Low Speed Wobble
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2008, 01:14:36 PM »

Seems like a lot of trouble to go to?  You might read "Reply #7" to this post and save yourself all that work.  I use it regularly.

That was my initial quest.  Stealership won't sell them to us commoners, so I blindly bought the KASTAR.  After looking at your picture, it is doubtful it would fit my application anyway.

stekat

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2008, 06:53:04 PM »

That was my initial quest.  Stealership won't sell them to us commoners, so I blindly bought the KASTAR.  After looking at your picture, it is doubtful it would fit my application anyway.

I use it on my '08 CUSE3 w/o removing anything but the bags.  I've also used it on earlier baggers.  What's your application? 

I bought mine from my dealer w/o a blink, I think it was $29.  Try another dealer or you could probably order from Chicago Harley.

REGGAB

« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2008, 07:28:46 PM »

I use it on my '08 CUSE3 w/o removing anything but the bags.  I've also used it on earlier baggers.  What's your application? 

I bought mine from my dealer w/o a blink, I think it was $29.  Try another dealer or you could probably order from Chicago Harley.

Bitubo Shocks.  Wrench won't fit, because lower shock eyebolt is thicker than stock.

stekat

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2008, 12:20:19 PM »

Bitubo Shocks.  Wrench won't fit, because lower shock eyebolt is thicker than stock.

Ultrafxr above had the same problem, but I think it worked for him.  Try one more thing.  The dealers routinely use this wrench in the shop.  Ask them to see if they can get their wrench onto your axle nut.  If not, you have your answer.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2008, 02:48:26 PM »

More on this later but I think I have found and eliminated the cause of my problem........ excess vibration. Haven't had the bike to speed yet, so I can't say for sure.

:indian_chief:

Here's the follow-up on the dyna-beads after getting rid of the extra vibration. They're fine. They work. No problems. No ugly weights on the tire.

The theory is that the extra vibration was preventing the beads from settling into the light spot of the tire. Evidently they were just bouncing all around inside the tire instead of gathering together. Imagine strapping a bowl to a pad sander, fill it with little tiny tiny beads and then turn on the sander,,,,bead chaos. Evidently that was what was happening, especially right in the low 70's.

No more tire balancing for me and no more expensive tire changes. Time to start changing tires at home.

old wrench

• Full CVO Member
  • You gota make this work together to get there fast

• CVO1: 2008 FSXTSSE2 Orange
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2008, 03:39:39 PM »

Here's the follow-up on the dyna-beads after getting rid of the extra vibration. They're fine. They work. No problems. No ugly weights on the tire.

The theory is that the extra vibration was preventing the beads from settling into the light spot of the tire. Evidently they were just bouncing all around inside the tire instead of gathering together. Imagine strapping a bowl to a pad sander, fill it with little tiny tiny beads and then turn on the sander,,,,bead chaos. Evidently that was what was happening, especially right in the low 70's.

No more tire balancing for me and no more expensive tire changes. Time to start changing tires at home.

Hey Chuck with the money your going to save on balancing you can get a nice tire changer, and be a friend to all  :pepper: check this out if you havent seen one its a nice changer and easy to use
www.nomartirechanger.com

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2008, 04:34:28 PM »

Hey Chuck with the money your going to save on balancing you can get a nice tire changer, and be a friend to all  :pepper: check this out if you havent seen one its a nice changer and easy to use
www.nomartirechanger.com

I saw those at the IMS show last year. It was pretty impressive, but I don't go through enough tires to warrant that much of an investment. I understand Harbor Freight has one that is hitch mounted and good for first timers like me.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2008, 09:09:59 PM »

Hey Chief, that's great news on the dyna beads.  Now, tell me how you got rid of the excess vibration.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

old wrench

• Full CVO Member
  • You gota make this work together to get there fast

• CVO1: 2008 FSXTSSE2 Orange
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2008, 08:10:35 AM »

I saw those at the IMS show last year. It was pretty impressive, but I don't go through enough tires to warrant that much of an investment. I understand Harbor Freight has one that is hitch mounted and good for first timers like me.

A friend of mine has had one for 2 years, I have one of the air from Snap-on got it along with the Snap-on balancer, and I still from time to time go over and use his, works better on the custome wide rims. The Snap-on changer has some small plastic slide plates on the head and they wear out quick, they come in a pack 12 for about 65.00 and there is only 4 out of that pack that really fits the head, the others our for another type tire machine and you cant get them buy there self. We make them work for old rims that you dont worry about to much, but when some one comes in with a brand new shinny high dollar rim, well a new one is put on before that tire is mounted for sure. The cost of my Snap-on mount and balancer around 5K about 8 years ago, the nomar and dyna beads would be about 1K and still do the same job oh well at least some things get cheaper in life  :pepper:

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2008, 09:26:11 AM »

Hey Chief, that's great news on the dyna beads.  Now, tell me how you got rid of the excess vibration.  spyder

I removed the Sta-Bo bushings. I like the theory, but the execution didn't work out as well as I had hoped. I'm riding without any extra gadgetry for the rear end until it is proven necessary.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2008, 09:47:47 AM »

I removed the Sta-Bo bushings. I like the theory, but the execution didn't work out as well as I had hoped. I'm riding without any extra gadgetry for the rear end until it is proven necessary.

aaaha.  :idea: thanks.  :2vrolijk_21: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 21 queries.