Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pre-2002 touring swingarm conversion -- StaBo III used and reviewed  (Read 4472 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2

Jim, Mike; anyone?  Someone have experience with both the Drag part number 1302-0257 bushing kits and the Stabo III bushings?  Trying to take advantage of someone else's efforts before having to pick one or the other with no experience with either.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 07:17:59 PM by Twolanerider »

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Pre-2002 touring swingarm conversion bushing kit question
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 10:54:53 AM »

I have not used the Sta-bo III but I have used the kit from Drag, Well made and no issues.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

Re: Pre-2002 touring swingarm conversion bushing kit question
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 11:47:21 AM »

I have not used the Sta-bo III but I have used the kit from Drag, Well made and no issues.

Thanks Jim.  The gentleman here (whose name I can't remember) who'd made the swap some months ago used that kit also.  But it was because he'd scored a good price on eBay.  Like the kit fine but also had no opportunity to compare the options.  They seem to have comparable street prices so was only hoping to be lucky enough to find someone who might be able to compare the two.

The 2000 SERG tracks very well.  Despite that it's swingarm is tweaked a little on the right side at that thin walled area around the axle.  It either happened then or I noticed when a shock broke internally.  Fortunately no crack or other issue but I'm still not trusting it long term.  Have all the other parts here for the swap to the newer swingarm and just have to pick a bushing option.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

Re: Pre-2002 touring swingarm conversion -- StaBo III used and reviewed
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 07:31:10 PM »

Time now to summarize this for the three or four guys on the site with bikes this old :huepfenlol2: .

Finally got a chance to take the bike for a ride this afternoon.  Obviously can't offer a comparison of the StaBo III product versus the Drag Specialties product.  Despite its manufacturing defect that led to its more difficult than necessary installation the StaBo bushings do work as it's suggested they would.  At least for the 40 miles or so it got ridden today.

This bike didn't have any wobble or other problems to begin with.  Always felt as tight as any touring bike could be expected to.  Had no complaints about its handling.  Work was done because the old swingarm was tweaked around an axle hole.  A known weak spot on these pre-02 swingarms.

Having said that it wasn't a bad handling bike to begin, which isn't to say I didn't notice some small improvement.  It's the same tires before and after so the only difference is the new bushings.  It is... well... hard to describe.  It's firmer; a little stiffer.  Side to side.  

No accel or decel issues.  No rear end swim under low speed accel in to a turn.  None of the things commonly attributed to these bikes.  Perhaps the most prominent change is its firmness in recovery through a turn.  When given engine acceleration the rear of the bike stands up more quickly/firmly/responsively now.  It's enough of a difference (that while not huge) is still very very noticeable.  It's a difference that is also an improvement.

The installation was a pain in the ass that would've been less of a chore with perfectly machined bushings to begin with.  Fortunately it was something that was correctable with access to the right tools so it cost an extra hour or two rather than turn around time for a manufacturer to first be convinced there was a problem and then ship replacements.

Don't get me wrong.  Were it not for having seen these swingarms break around their axle holes before I don't think the gain was worth the extra work and parts expense.  But if you've decided to change swingarms to deal with the problem by upgrading to the newer more robust swingarm this is one of only two options I found for parts to make it happen.

Jim has said he'd used the Drag Specialties part before without issue.  Were I doing this chore again I'd go that way as well now.  These Sta-Bo parts, in the end, work ok though.  The bike seems to track flawlessly.  It feels very good and does so in a way that inspires confidence it will do what you expect it to and do it quickly.  So it was worth doing.  Just wish it had been less of a chore.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 08:15:20 PM by Twolanerider »

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
Re: Pre-2002 touring swingarm conversion -- StaBo III used and reviewed
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 08:02:00 PM »

Nice write up.  :2vrolijk_21:  Should help others in the same boat

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 21 queries.