Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What happens if belt is adjusted to tight?  (Read 1480 times)

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
What happens if belt is adjusted to tight?
« on: May 06, 2010, 11:32:31 AM »

I installed a new rear tire yesterday and followed the instructions on the Fix My Hog DVD. Other than having a difficult time keeping the cam adjuster in place while torquing the nut everything went well. I wanted to do it my self to have access to areas that may have never been cleaned, I have 30,000 miles on my SERK. I have 13" Bitubo's and they have been doing a pretty good job. I made a few small adjustment on the shocks but when I checked everyhting over prior to a teat ride I noticed that the belt was pretty tight. Rather than take it apart and loosen the belt I took the wife out for a 2 hour ride and the bike rode like crap. It was the roughest ride I have ever had. Could the belt being to tight cause suspension issues or did I just mess up the setting on the shocks. It's raining now so I will have to wait to adjust the shocks. I also installed DYNA beads, it ran nice on the highway so it is definetely the rear suspension or lack of.

Thanks

Ray G.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
Re: What happens if belt is adjusted to tight?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 11:41:16 AM »

I installed a new rear tire yesterday and followed the instructions on the Fix My Hog DVD. Other than having a difficult time keeping the cam adjuster in place while torquing the nut everything went well. I wanted to do it my self to have access to areas that may have never been cleaned, I have 30,000 miles on my SERK. I have 13" Bitubo's and they have been doing a pretty good job. I made a few small adjustment on the shocks but when I checked everyhting over prior to a teat ride I noticed that the belt was pretty tight. Rather than take it apart and loosen the belt I took the wife out for a 2 hour ride and the bike rode like crap. It was the roughest ride I have ever had. Could the belt being to tight cause suspension issues or did I just mess up the setting on the shocks. It's raining now so I will have to wait to adjust the shocks. I also installed DYNA beads, it ran nice on the highway so it is definetely the rear suspension or lack of.

Thanks

Ray G.

Most likely the shocks, try them where you had them before. I usually try to make just ONE change at a time to eliminate other factors.
If your belt is too tight, check it after a ride and sitting on the bike (you may need some help!) LOL
I have found my belts tighten up after the bike gets hot, and I run them a little on the loose side..JMHO
HOGMIKE

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 21 queries.