Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: New to ABS brakes - 2013 FLHTCUSE8  (Read 4827 times)

Claytoninsc

• Full CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE8 2013
New to ABS brakes - 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« on: February 20, 2013, 10:45:58 PM »

I am new to ABS breaks and it seems the back brakes do not slow my bike down like my previous bike an 09 ultra classic it did not have ABS brakes. Is this just the difference between ABS and Traditional brakes? Or should I have the dealer check on the breaks at my 1000 mile service?

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
Re: New to ABS brakes - 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 12:01:38 AM »

Takes a while for the rear brakes to "seat in". Many threads about it here
Alan

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 12:20:05 AM »

Takes a while for the rear brakes to "seat in". Many threads about it here

+1

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 02:57:04 AM »

Having the dealer check them is not a bad idea, as they have a scan tool to analyze the ABS module for codes and issues. But like the man said it takes time for pads to seat. Also, bear in mind that ABS does not mean the bike will stop faster or quicker than non ABS brakes. All it means is that the wheels will not lock up on low traction surfaces like water, sand, grass clippings, leaves, or whatever. Everyone should practice braking regularly. If you have ABS, it's more important to practice so you can get a feel for what the bike is doing, and how it feels when the ABS deploys.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 07:33:37 AM »

ABS brakes take some getting use to.  Until you do, they will always feel like no matter how hard you stomp on the brake petal you are not going to get stopped.   :'(. Practice and keep practicing.  :2vrolijk_21:
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 - CVO Softail Convertible, 2012
    • CVO2: HD Custom Softail Heritage (Sold)
    • CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 07:37:57 AM »

Not liking the ABS at all!
Over here in Dubai we can get a thin layer of sand on the road so the abs kicks in far to easy!
Better to Reign in Hell than serve in Heaven!
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 08:30:02 AM »

Also, bear in mind that ABS does not mean the bike will stop faster or quicker than non ABS brakes.

Everyone should practice braking regularly. If you have ABS, it's more important to practice so you can get a feel for what the bike is doing, and how it feels when the ABS deploys.

Mark
Are you sure ABS will not stop the bike quicker.  Everything I have seen or read shows it will for 99% of the people stop the bike faster, only professionals can stop a non abs bike as fast as an ABS bike.  I know I sure can stop faster on an ABS touring harley than I can on a non abs bike.

I fully agree on practicing braking regularly.  I think it is even more important with ABS, you have to know what the feed back to the clutch and pedal is like when the ABS is active.  It does pulse and feel different.  If your not expecting it could cause react or release the brake.

Love my ABS, after my 09 with ABS I have never bought a bike with out it. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 10:04:21 AM »

it took about 500 miles or so for the brakes to seat in on my new bike, i rode a 2011 RGC 103 to the dealer and rode off on a 2013 RGCSE, more power less brakes, i was thinking WTF! but its all good now. and the ABS is fantastic once you get use to it. check out the DVD that should of came with the  bike it has some good information about the system and what to expect
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 11:44:27 AM »

Are you sure ABS will not stop the bike quicker.  Everything I have seen or read shows it will for 99% of the people stop the bike faster, only professionals can stop a non abs bike as fast as an ABS bike.  I know I sure can stop faster on an ABS touring harley than I can on a non abs bike.

I fully agree on practicing braking regularly.  I think it is even more important with ABS, you have to know what the feed back to the clutch and pedal is like when the ABS is active.  It does pulse and feel different.  If your not expecting it could cause react or release the brake.

Love my ABS, after my 09 with ABS I have never bought a bike with out it. 

Dave,

Good point. I guess I should have added the caveat that with regular practice and proficient skills, one can stop a non ABS bike quicker than, or as quick as a bike with ABS deployed. I saw that back in police motor school where an instructor ran two series of braking tests, one on my BMW with ABS deployed, and one on an old beat up KZ1000 police bike without ABS. Time and again, using good threshold combination braking, the KZ stopped shorter and quicker than the BMW with ABS deployed. And it was a measurable distance. However on a surface with less than ideal traction, ABS wins every time.

This is why practice with ABS is crucial. If under ideal conditions the ABS is ALWAYS kicking in when braking, then the rider should practice braking until he gets a better feel and understanding of the system. The ABS should kick in on surfaces with less than ideal conditions, or during that "Oh $hit" moment of over braking.

This has been my experience.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

BigLew55

• Elite CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 12:51:38 PM »

...I saw that back in police motor school where an instructor ran two series of braking tests, one on my BMW with ABS deployed, and one on an old beat up KZ1000 police bike without ABS....

That could prove that the old KZ was lighter with better tires... :nixweiss:
Big Lew
IBA #595

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 01:06:36 PM »

using proper braking techniques, a non abs bike will always stop faster than an abs bike with abs deployed.  however, if you use proper braking tech on both bikes (ie. don't deploy the abs), then both bikes should stop in virtually the same distance.  throw a less than ideal braking surface into the mix, thats where the abs will stand out.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

BigLew55

• Elite CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 01:12:54 PM »

using proper braking techniques, a non abs bike will always stop faster than an abs bike with abs deployed.  however, if you use proper braking tech on both bikes (ie. don't deploy the abs), then both bikes should stop in virtually the same distance.  throw a less than ideal braking surface into the mix, thats where the abs will stand out.

I agree.  I'm waiting for someone to prove this wrong.  I'm not holding my breath!
Big Lew
IBA #595

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 01:25:08 PM »

I feel ABS brakes saved me from slamming into the side of a car at 40 mph a couple years ago. Car pulled out in front of me with about a half second to react. Grabbed s hanful of front brake, a foot full of rear brake and tried my best to lock it down. I could not believe how fast it stopped... Or almost stopped. I hit the car doing 2-3 mph. Saved my arse. I'd almost trade off a non ABS bike now. I'd recommend practising locking it down hard as you can. Use a back road or parking lot. Get used to the feel of it.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 02:16:00 PM »

That could prove that the old KZ was lighter with better tires... :nixweiss:

Lighter, probably,...but better tires,...NO!
All those bikes had high mileage tires. They were retired from patrol. Most were well beyond the wear bars.

My BMW had much better tires. Newer and better.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 02:17:27 PM »

I guess that's what I was trying to say, you said it much better.

Thanks!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 24 queries.