Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: weight distribution  (Read 2546 times)

bdas2

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
weight distribution
« on: June 17, 2013, 10:35:46 PM »

I understand that Harley has a weight limit on the Ultra  Twenty pounds in tour pack and seven pounds in each saddle bag.  I was wondering if anyone had a problem with putting to much on the rear of the bike, and if so what was the total weight and what effect did it have? 

bdas2

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: weight distribution
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 01:40:40 PM »

So maybe I am asking the question the wrong way.  Has anyone ever weighed the amount of luggage they have carried on the back of their bike? Including the saddle bags. I know we don't all stick to the limit.

Thanks for any replies

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 01:54:21 PM »

I have never heard of anyone actually weighing the contents of their tour pack nor saddlebags.  Depending upon what you are putting in there, it might be a good idea. I have a friend who went down on an interstate at about 75 mph on his Road Glide. He admitted to having far too much weight in his tour pack. He also had a 23 inch front tire and had moved the tour pack 2 inches back.  He told me the front end started vibrating in a straight line and he just could not control it and went down.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 02:36:05 PM »

I've had easily 80# in and on the TP, and a good 30-40# in each saddlebag.  No issues.
The best you've had is the best you know.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 03:11:21 PM »

bdas2, why do I get the feeling you are thinking about hauling a big pile of heavy stuff and want others to tell you it will be alright? ;D

When it comes to safety, I think it is fairly wise to err on the side of caution.  If the manufacturer of the vehicle says the load limit is X, he has usually put a small extra safety factor in the calculations.  But that safety factor probably doesn't equate to a real load limit of 2X, or 3X, or 4X.  The same is likely true for things like tires, GVWR for cars, trucks, and motorcycles, ladders (one with a 150 lb load limit probably wouldn't be the best choice for a 350 lb NFL lineman), etc.

If you must overload, keep the excess weight as low and as far forward as you can.  It's much better to put the heavy stuff in the bottom of the saddlebags, and the light stuff in the TP.  And of course adjust your riding to suit your overloaded condition. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

bdas2

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 08:46:41 PM »

No I don't want to haul a big load, but I was thinking of hooking up one of those luggage racks (like a cooler rack)on the back of the bike.  The manufacture says that it's good for 35 lbs.  I'd rather keep the load low.  I just checked my saddle bags and they were 24 lbs each and the bag on the tour pack came in at 30 lbs.  At 75 miles per I didn't notice a thing.  I see people on trips with 3ft high on the tour pack. I don't want to do that. So I was thinking of the rack on the back. I'm looking for feedback.

Thanks

Thermodyne

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 10:20:38 PM »

I'm thinking that the weight limits are more about the plastic not cracking. 

Side bag and tour pack weight aren't really all that much when compared to putting a chubby passenger on the back.  Or even a slim one for that matter.   

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 11:30:57 PM »

I believe you can put as much stuff as you can possibly pack in there myself.  Heck, I've seen Asians on mopeds carrying more than I can fit in the back of my truck and still have three passengers on board too!  It's all a matter of balance.   :2vrolijk_21:
Jesus is Lord

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 05:21:12 AM »

I'm thinking that the weight limits are more about the plastic not cracking. 

Side bag and tour pack weight aren't really all that much when compared to putting a chubby passenger on the back.  Or even a slim one for that matter.   

I've loaded the '05 and the '09 (both chopped tour paks) with as much as "The Ball & Chain" and I could stuff in them and really couldn't tell much difference, one way or the other. The heaviest that the bikes were ever loaded was when I was the "soda wagon" and had a case / bag of ice in each saddlebag and tourpak, then I could really feel the weight in the TP.
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 10:30:13 AM »

7 pounds per saddlebag is just ridiculous, I exceed that already with the usual load of tools, compressor, raingear, mugs pp. usually stowed in the left bag. When shopping we fairly often load up to 20 pounds to one bag and 40 to tourpack, never had a problem so far. Of course you have to adjust your riding style a bit as the bike handles a bit clumsy  ;)
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

ffltjeff

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHTCUSE8
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 11:10:19 AM »

I just got back from a 8 day trip through Wisconsin and Michigan with the wife on my 13 CVO Ultra.  We started with leathers in saddle bags and clothes (each had 3 jeans, t-shirts and underoos, oh yeah she had her war paint in bag also) in tour pack.  We soon realized we would be wearing leathers most of the time so put clothes in saddle bags about 20 pounds each side.  I purchased a small bag from Harley that strapped onto the luggage rack on top of the tour pack, put rainsuits, air compressor and very light things in there less than 10lbs.  The few times we were able to ride without leathers (jackets and chaps) they were in the tour pack (heavy).   I have the Kuryaken tour pack relocater and it was moved back the full 3".  No issues with handling at all on the highways.    Like stated earlier keep the weight low as much as possible.
2013 FLHTCUSE8
V&H Power Duals, V&H Monster Ovals, SERT
Progressive 444 shocks, Progressive Cartridge Fork Kit
Windsplitter windshield

bdas2

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 02:08:26 PM »

Thanks for all the input  The overall information I am getting from everybody is that most people put between 40 lbs and 60lbs on the bike.  There doesn't seem to be a problem going down the road. Like I said I was interested in putting one of those luggage racks attached to a ball and hitch.  The weight would be lower but pushed out the back further. Anybody have experience with this?

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 21 queries.