Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weird front end feeling  (Read 2654 times)

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
Weird front end feeling
« on: May 31, 2014, 07:52:44 PM »

After many months I finally got my new shocks and forks installed.  I upgraded the suspension to Traxxion Dynamics AK-20's and to Bitubos.  I can defiantly  feel the difference on the front end.  No more front end diving and the wheel does not feel like it bounces on the rough Vermont roads.

I did the work myself alone and this is the first time I have done something like this.  I also replaced the break pads to Lyndall Z+ pads.  I followed the instructions in the service manual and torqued everything to spec.  I did put a light coat (I believe it was a light coat) of anti-seize on the front axle. 

I also tightened the steering fall way too.

Anyway, there seems to be a weird feeling in the front end when driving at lower speeds.  Almost a vibration or low grinding when the wheel is turned.  I don't feel it when traveling at higher speeds.  I am not sure what might be causing this and I certainly don't recall something like this feeling in the past.  It might have happened in the past I just don't recall.

At first I thought it might the the section of road but it did happen at multiple places and the road was recently paved.  There is no steering wobble.

Also, when I initially removed the front forks they were a real PITA to remove and I did have to do some pounding on them with a hammer.

Any suggestions?

:oops: :nixweiss:

And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Weird front end feeling
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 11:56:43 PM »

When you put the tubes back into the trees, did you loosen the top caps and re-tighten after you torqued the lower tree pinch bolts?  You can get some binding in them if you don't.

Sent from my iPad, probably while I'm pooping.
The best you've had is the best you know.

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 05:24:14 AM »

When you put the tubes back into the trees, did you loosen the top caps and re-tighten after you torqued the lower tree pinch bolts?  You can get some binding in them if you don't.

Sent from my iPad, probably while I'm pooping.

I don't think I did.  I will do so today.

After I got the front end in, I did loosen the pinch bolts to adjust the steering drop away.  I did not loosen the top caps during the adjustment.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 09:32:53 AM »

Make certain you didn't go overboard when adjusting the steering head bearing preload.  I know some people have recommended going tighter than spec to eliminate a low speed wobble, but it's not wise to overdo it.

You installed new brake pads, correct?  Are you sure you aren't feeling/hearing roughness from the brakes dragging?  Have the pads been broken in yet?

How about the wheel bearings?  Harley's bearings have a spotty record for quality and longevity.

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 06:59:43 PM »

I was wondering about the brakes too.  I did notice they sound different then the HD factory brakes.  I believe I did install the brakes correctly with the pin through the tab and the brake pad inserted in to the spring clip.

As far as the steering head, I adjusted it per service bulletin M-1246 which states two swings and return to center.  When I released the fork cap per 05train's instructions, if felt it was over tight.  I wonder if that has to do with the steering adjustment.  The instructions only say to loosen the pinch bolts.  I was thinking at the time the fork caps are going to created resistance when adjusting.  Anyway, it does feel better in corning (right/left turns).  It might be everything breaking in.

As far as the grinding, I was wondering about the bearings.  My bike has 18,000 miles on it.  I am embarrassed to say that it remained on the operating table for close ton 9 months.  During this time, the roads that I noticed it the most have been repaved and I was wondering if that has something to do with it.

Thanks for everyone's help.  It is greatly appreciated.

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 08:20:41 PM »

Charles, I've noticed a similar feeling from my front end recently.  It comes thru the grips.  When riding at normal speeds and in straight lines, the feeling thru the grips is silky smooth, but when I turn, especially at lower speeds, there is a rough, grinding sensation in the grips until I straighten back up.  It's not severe, just easily noticeable.  There's no grinding, growling or howling noise at all.

Is this what you're experiencing?  I've got 10,000 miles on my bike, and this just started a week or two ago.

wheel bearings?  neck adjustment?  warped rotors? 

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 10:56:00 PM »

Hello lilcoot,

Very similar to what I am what I am experiencing. I don't think it is the rotor and I just adjusted the steering so maybe it is the bearings.  The issue that I have is that I did not ride for 9 months and I don't recall if it was an issue before.

As far a sound I do wear ear plugs so I don't think I hear it.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 10:05:58 AM by charles05663 »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 08:46:56 AM »

Don't forget one other fairly common item, especially on bikes with D407/408 tires.  Run your hands along the tire tread, from front to rear and then rear to front, concentrating on the edges, and see if you feel any abnormal wear.  Cupping, even a small amount, can also cause what you guys are feeling.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

mark

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 09:13:58 AM »

Don't laugh at this suggestion, but check the tire pressure.  I just came back from a 5 day ride where one of the guys thought his front wheel bearings was going bad (grinding feeling at slow speed and cornering) and it turned out the front tire only had 14 lbs of pressure.  I know some on this forum will appreciate this - we stopped at a HD shop along the way and the tech was going to change out the bearings.  We decided to ride on to our destination and have it checked out there and went to an independent shop.  The indy tech discovered the problem rather quickly.

BTW, why was the tire low?  Just prior to the trip the bike was at our local HD shop for new brake pads.  The HD shop had tightened the valve stem caps so tight, it caused the valve stem cap's rubber o-ring to depress the valve stem needle.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 11:50:35 AM »

Don't laugh at this suggestion, but check the tire pressure.  I just came back from a 5 day ride where one of the guys thought his front wheel bearings was going bad (grinding feeling at slow speed and cornering) and it turned out the front tire only had 14 lbs of pressure.  I know some on this forum will appreciate this - we stopped at a HD shop along the way and the tech was going to change out the bearings.  We decided to ride on to our destination and have it checked out there and went to an independent shop.  The indy tech discovered the problem rather quickly.

BTW, why was the tire low?  Just prior to the trip the bike was at our local HD shop for new brake pads.  The HD shop had tightened the valve stem caps so tight, it caused the valve stem cap's rubber o-ring to depress the valve stem needle.

Another piece of evidence in a long list of evidence concerning the capabilities of many "techs" at the average Harley dealership.  And people wonder why some of us would rather be water boarded than take our bikes to a Harley dealership for service.

Jerry

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 06:24:26 PM »

Don't forget one other fairly common item, especially on bikes with D407/408 tires.  Run your hands along the tire tread, from front to rear and then rear to front, concentrating on the edges, and see if you feel any abnormal wear.  Cupping, even a small amount, can also cause what you guys are feeling.

Jerry

I checked this and there is no cupping.  I thought of this and looked online and found some information on it.  I did have the tire changed out under warranty to the newer D408F.

Another piece of evidence in a long list of evidence concerning the capabilities of many "techs" at the average Harley dealership.  And people wonder why some of us would rather be water boarded than take our bikes to a Harley dealership for service.

Jerry

This is one of the reasons I bought a lift and am doing my own work.  I double and even triple check my work and torque settings.  I don't think many HD shops check torque settings because it takes extra time.

I also bought a lift because of the high prices for an oil change and the long wait times.  I only can hang out at a HD for so long before I am bouncing off the walls.  I do enjoy the fact they wash the bike  :).

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 21 queries.