Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Insurance coverage Extending To Rentals  (Read 1283 times)

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

Insurance coverage Extending To Rentals
« on: February 15, 2019, 08:30:57 AM »

Looking at flying out west and renting for ten days. Neither my car or motorcycle insurance companies will extend coverage and the rental rip off is $700 for coverage. My cycle insurance is due, so now's the time to change. Has anyone found a company that will?
Thanks!
RETIRED! :fireman:

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
    • CVO2: Previous: 2016 CVO Street Glide Licorice/Cobalt
Re: Insurance coverage Extending To Rentals
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 09:00:32 AM »

I have Nationwide and when I flew to California I checked with my agent and it DID cover a rental bike.   I printed their email and took a copy of the Dec Page with me to the dealership I rented from.    The kicker was that when I arrived there with my reservation, they told me there would be a $3,000 pre charge to my credit card for the rental that would be "fully refunded when the bike was returned undamaged and full of fuel" so I never rented the bike.   I figured there would be a battle for every little chip or mechanical issue the bike had when I returned it and I would lose because they'd already have my $$$.   

bad00serg

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 Springer
    • CVO2: 2009 Springer
    • CVO3: 2020 Ultra Limited
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 09:19:43 AM »

Progressive covers rentals according to my phone call with them recently.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 12:37:33 PM »

What controls is the language of your policy. Most insurance policies ensure you for liability in any vehicle that you have borrowed or rented. If you try to add such a rental to your policy, however, that would be rejected. You'll note that at most rent a car companies they will offer insurance to cover your insurance deductible. The bottom line is always, read your policy.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 03:41:37 PM »

USAA covers your rental as long as the covered vehicle is parked, in for service or generally out of use. It is amazing how many people wreck rentals, I used to inspect a few rentals weekly in the winter (In-Season Florida).

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 08:21:47 PM »

USAA covers your rental as long as the covered vehicle is parked, in for service or generally out of use. It is amazing how many people wreck rentals, I used to inspect a few rentals weekly in the winter (In-Season Florida).
That would make sense but Formost, apparently does not. My policy is due before the trip so I guess I'll need to shop around. USAA will get a call! Eagle Rider also wants a $5000 credit card security charge for an Ultra. Things are getting a little crazy on this. I have a quote of $900 each way, door to door, to transport my bike there and that's looking better all along!!
Thanks

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 08:39:48 PM »

In 2016 I rented a Limited in Las Vegas for 1 day from Eagle Rider. Rental was $99 + $20 for walk away insurance. If stolen or damaged or totaled I would walk away with no liability or claim on my insurance, provided I was still able to walk. I guess things have changed or maybe different with multiple day rentals.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 09:16:32 PM »

Unless something has recently change, USAA dropped motorcycle and RV coverage years ago.  They now direct you to Progressive and I have noted they do add a $100 premium to what Progress would charge directly.  If you ever have an issue with insurance I am sure Progressive goes out of their way not to piss off USAA so I would think you would get better service.

When I got my first bike USAA was willing to provide coverage.

Also, USAA as a general rule requires some sort of military affiliation.
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 09:22:35 PM »

In 2016 I rented a Limited in Las Vegas for 1 day from Eagle Rider. Rental was $99 + $20 for walk away insurance. If stolen or damaged or totaled I would walk away with no liability or claim on my insurance, provided I was still able to walk. I guess things have changed or maybe different with multiple day rentals.
$70 this time in Denver! This includes insurance to transfer back to Denver (for the bike). Other wise you have to pay them to recover their bike if it breaks down on you. Holly smokes!

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2019, 04:34:05 PM »

USAA Bike insurance coverage directly or thru Progressive varies based on states. If you had a bike before the policy changes (I did) they continue to cover in-house until you trade or sell that unit, then you are directed to Progressive. You are correct in that Progressive will provide a $100 credit off bottom line if USAA Member. Membership no longer confined to military. Employees (ME), family of members that qualify, Agencies such as FBI etc so anyone interested should call for a brochure or just ask if you qualify based on any circumstances they accept. Membership has been opened up alot. What other company gives there employees across the board yearly bonuses of 15 to 20% of yearly salaries and members recieve rebates yearly.

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2019, 09:50:01 PM »

USAA Bike insurance coverage directly or thru Progressive varies based on states. If you had a bike before the policy changes (I did) they continue to cover in-house until you trade or sell that unit, then you are directed to Progressive. You are correct in that Progressive will provide a $100 credit off bottom line if USAA Member. Membership no longer confined to military. Employees (ME), family of members that qualify, Agencies such as FBI etc so anyone interested should call for a brochure or just ask if you qualify based on any circumstances they accept. Membership has been opened up alot. What other company gives there employees across the board yearly bonuses of 15 to 20% of yearly salaries and members recieve rebates yearly.
It did send me directly to Progressive. About $40 dollars more than my current with a little better coverage. Still doesn't cover getting their bike back to them also not their loss of use.

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • Twisted Rides
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2019, 09:49:43 AM »

Keep in mind that a key element of the damages associated with the loss of a rental vehicle (be it auto or motorcycle), is the loss of rental income the vehicle generates. Most rental agreements make the renter responsible for loss of rental income in the event of an accident. So when checking your motorcycle policy, make sure it covers this element as well.
Some folks seek the comfort of the straight and narrow. Me? I prefer the twisted road.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2019, 11:34:58 AM »

Unless something has recently change, USAA dropped motorcycle and RV coverage years ago.  They now direct you to Progressive and I have noted they do add a $100 premium to what Progress would charge directly.  If you ever have an issue with insurance I am sure Progressive goes out of their way not to piss off USAA so I would think you would get better service.

When I got my first bike USAA was willing to provide coverage.

Also, USAA as a general rule requires some sort of military affiliation.

This is my experience exactly with both insurers.  As a very long standing USAA member, over many years the USAA insurance was the absolute best.  When they subletted the insurance to Progressive the premiums where higher than if I went with Progressive directly. 

Also, the HD dealers seem to have lower premiums than others as well and I am told that Progressive is the sublet insurer there as well.  No proof though.

I seems that all of the major insurers have now “outsourced” their motorcycle insurance to Progressive.

It’s the same with Safelight Auto glass. Virtually all of the major manufacturers, dealers and insurers outsourced their glass claims to Safelight. 

Regards
Jerry

« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 02:06:43 PM by CVOStreetglide »

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2019, 02:02:16 PM »

well, I can tell  you that when I first got my bike back in 2002, USAA was insuring bikes.  however, they quoted me an insane rate of over $600 per year.

went with progressive through hd and got the same coverage for $125 per year.  I've been with hd/progressive ever since.  no one has been able to beat their rate year after year, even with their occasional rate increases.  I've been able to offset those with increasing my deductible.  with the disappearing deductible, keeps it at 0, even though I pay for $500. 

except this year.  with hitting a deer before Christmas, come renewal (june) i'm either gonna have to hang with a high deductible, or pay a little extra.  i'm leaning towards paying a little extra.  the deerstrike did over $3,000 in damage.  the good news is that progressive handled it very quickly, professionally and with a minimum of hassle.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2019, 07:33:25 PM »

Update; I ended up talking to the agent that has the business and other coverage. Got written confirmation that the rental is covered...and saved some money to boot!! Thanks for the replies!

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 24 queries.