Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interesting read on that "Discount ESP" company  (Read 2835 times)

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
Interesting read on that "Discount ESP" company
« on: March 17, 2019, 09:15:43 AM »

Take it for what it's worth. Lot's of info in this thread over on HD Forums. OP of that thread did a whole lot of research. Jim Palmer makes a weak attempt at defending what He does and then disappears.

Many of us here are also members over there.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1272749-discount-esp-bad-experience-advice.html#post18111072
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

mark

Re: Interesting read on that "Discount ESP" company
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 09:38:37 AM »

Insurance companies (basically that's was an extended warranty is - an insurance policy) don't make money by paying claims.  It's not uncommon for an initial claim to be denied, whether it's your homeowners, health, or car insurance.  I'm sure everyone has dealt with an insurance company at some point in their life, regarding a denied claim.

flhman

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 09:55:05 AM »

Well considering the financial situation of Boardtrackers, this doesn’t surprise me. Their local to me, haven’t stepped in their business for years, a lot of the locals shop elsewhere. flhman

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 10:11:59 AM »

If I read that correctly, the issue with the engine was due to a lifter failure.  Now as most of us know, that is and has been a widespread problem going back many years.  H-D itself tried to blow people off during the factory warranty, then CNA (H-D ESP) screwed over more than a few by searching for anything they could to deny claims, such as use of non-stock parts totally unrelated to the lifters failing.  It appears the problem created by and never corrected by H-D is the root of the problem, and the cost of repairs has caused various ESP companies to try to find a way to wiggle out from under this particular defect.  All Harley does is try to find ways to make sure most make it out of the factory two year warranty period, then pass their problem on to the the ESP companies and the customers.  We've had many discussions about this and other defects Harley has refused to fix over the years and dumped on the ESP folks and the customers, so it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who uses this or other forums.  When you find out how much of what you pay the dealer for the ESP actually goes to the ESP company (less than half the suggested retail price with the rest going to H-D and the dealership in commissions, and to the administrator), then look at how much one of these lifter failures cost to properly repair, the reason the ESP folks try to wiggle out of paying becomes more obvious.  H-D is screwing everyone else involved.  Of course that doesn't justify the ESP folks also screwing over the customers, it just illustrates why so many of them seem to be doing so.

Btw, I've got no horse in the race, since I never buy ESP's and I haven't bought a new Harley since 2005 thanks to their lack of quality and ethics and customer service.  I have no way of knowing if the OP's claims are true or not, and no way of knowing if Jim Palmer is playing games or not.  I do know however of the same kind of failures also being denied coverage by the Harley sponsored ESP, so it's obviously not just a Jim Palmer issue.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 06:33:08 PM »

yep, they are in bad financial situation! bankruptcy, is most likely next! guess I will try to cash out on the ESP.

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 07:15:00 AM »

yep, they are in bad financial situation! bankruptcy, is most likely next! guess I will try to cash out on the ESP.

Have you used your ESP & did you contact them about cashing it in? I'm considering cashing mine out as Boardtracker is the only contact we have other than the claims. I'm going to try & get some answers in the next day or two.
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

ultrarider123

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 08:35:18 AM »

I attempted to read through the thread from hdforums, OBB, and came to one, very stark conclusion...

I'm so thankful that Neal has remained ad-free on cvoharley.com because it's a pain to read stuff with all the pop up ads on other sites... :2vrolijk_21:

Also, the snippet below was very comical to me.  While reading about this situation on hdforums on how bad Discount ESP was in denying the claim, an ad for Discount ESP showed up...how funny is that?

As for the ESP, it's insurance and just like any other insurance company, they can deny a claim.  It's up to you to fight it (sometimes for years) and they know that which is why they have a team of lawyers to handle complaints...and why there are billboards and constant TV ads for "turn your wreck into a check" for ambulance chasers to fight back...C'est la vie

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 02:45:08 PM »

I called ESP claims # I did talk to to Customer Service.  Denise answered all my questions regarding my policy & I feel good about not wanting to cancel it. Board Tracker problems will not affect the ESP & now I don't have to talk to Jim or Kathy @ Board Tracker with any questions. I hope when I have to file a claim that I get the same kind of customer service.
IBA #63514

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 10:20:50 PM »

I called ESP claims # I did talk to to Customer Service.  Denise answered all my questions regarding my policy & I feel good about not wanting to cancel it. Board Tracker problems will not affect the ESP & now I don't have to talk to Jim or Kathy @ Board Tracker with any questions. I hope when I have to file a claim that I get the same kind of customer service.
care to post the number and contact you used?

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 03:00:37 AM »

I called the # on the back of ESP policy ID card 800-527-3426  I believe it was option #4  Talked to Denise & she was great to talk to & answered all my concerns. Have your Id card when you call as she will want your information on the card. As I said before I feel better about ESP after talking to her.
IBA #63514

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 08:35:54 AM »

I called the # on the back of ESP policy ID card 800-527-3426  I believe it was option #4  Talked to Denise & she was great to talk to & answered all my concerns. Have your Id card when you call as she will want your information on the card. As I said before I feel better about ESP after talking to her.
I bought this esp ,also! I had such good luck with the last one I thought everything was fine. Talk on the front end is cheap! time will tell when either of us has to make a claim. I will make it a point to post the results here when I have a claim. hope, I never have to use it. Thanks for the info.

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 09:03:02 AM »

I bought this esp ,also! I had such good luck with the last one I thought everything was fine. Talk on the front end is cheap! time will tell when either of us has to make a claim. I will make it a point to post the results here when I have a claim. hope, I never have to use it. Thanks for the info.

I agree with you totally but knowing  I don't have to rely on Board Tracker as my only contact with ESP is good. Time will tell as dealing with HD & their warranties was not always a good experience for a lot of us! My local dealer offered another extended warranty but it was a lot higher price for a max of 75K miles , 3 years & no tire & wheel. I also hope I don't have to use it but for less than $400 a year to cover my 2011 CVO is worth it!
IBA #63514

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2019, 08:15:26 AM »

I agree with you totally but knowing  I don't have to rely on Board Tracker as my only contact with ESP is good. Time will tell as dealing with HD & their warranties was not always a good experience for a lot of us! My local dealer offered another extended warranty but it was a lot higher price for a max of 75K miles , 3 years & no tire & wheel. I also hope I don't have to use it but for less than $400 a year to cover my 2011 CVO is worth it!
my coverage is for a 2011,also. of course mine is the blue one a much faster color than the others.  :nixweiss: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: my costs for 5 yrs with wheel and tire was i think 1995.00. is that in the ball park for your coverage? the other esp was $1000.00 more.

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2019, 03:16:04 PM »

my coverage is for a 2011,also. of course mine is the blue one a much faster color than the others.  :nixweiss: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: my costs for 5 yrs with wheel and tire was i think 1995.00. is that in the ball park for your coverage? the other esp was $1000.00 more.

Looked over my contract, $1999 for 5 year with tire & wheel & unlimited mileage. Not like the HD dealers at $1500 more with limited mileage. Blue may be faster but red is hotter!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 03:26:24 PM by danner55 »
IBA #63514

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 24 queries.