Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: CVO Leather Seat Turning White  (Read 5459 times)

fos41

• Full CVO Member
CVO Leather Seat Turning White
« on: August 24, 2017, 03:29:57 PM »

Any ideas on whats up with my `15 CVO Street Glide Turning white? It looks like the black dye is leaving the leather.

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
Re: CVO Leather Seat Turning White
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 04:51:53 PM »

What do you treat the seat with after cleaning? Does it sit out in the sun allot?
I have seen similar thing happen on the rubber pads for the foot controls, where the rubber begins to turn kind of white. Was related to using Armor All.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 06:07:47 PM »

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 06:24:50 PM »

You may want to check with your dealer, I thought I saw something about this, I don't know what they can do, but seems others had same issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

fos41

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 08:44:24 PM »

Generally use Lexol leather conditioner and a few times Maco leather treatement on seat. Prewash my`15 bike same as my `05 bike with S100 or Golden Spectro bike wash and hand wash with Armorall auto wash/wax no problems with the 2005 H.D.

Bought `15 used w/ 5000 miles. I will check with the dealer see what they say.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 02:27:56 PM »

Hopefully you remove the seat when you wash the bike? S100 a little harsh for leather/vinyl on a seat. That extra minute or so to remove the seat before washing goes along way in preserving the seat.

fos41

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 11:37:14 AM »

Don,

No have not been removing the seat which may have been a terrible mistake had a fear of getting water in the wiring beneath the seat, could be  a different dye process on the `15.   

Guess I was lucky with my `05 H.D. used the same cleaning method with no discoloration, I did not know about the Doc Bailey`s leather black that Greg mentioned plan to give it a try. I appreciate all of the input from everyone.

Donnie

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 08:35:10 AM »

Mustang seats recommends only using Armour All on it's seats. 
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 04:41:35 PM »

I use press-n-seal over the electric components and the paper air filter during washes. Cheap, any grocery store, works great. May be incorrect name but that is what is does, press-n-seal.
Doc Baileys would need to dry thouroughly, otherwise I think it might rub off on your clothes if you sweat, like me.

DavidG_TKSE

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSEANV #631
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHTKSE Carbon/Slate (Traded)
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 10:00:23 AM »

Mustang seats recommends only using Armour All on it's seats.
ACtually they recommend ProtectAll.

Washing, Waxing & Treating Seats and Accessories

Mustang seats and accessories are made of the highest quality vinyl and will retain their looks for years without any extra care. Mustang seats can be washed with any mild, non-abrasive detergent. Mustang recommends ProtectAll™, a do-it-all type of cleaner that cleans, polishes, waxes, treats and protects every surface. ProtectAll™s water repellent carnauba wax formula provides durable protection against all elements. The quality of carnauba wax, incorporated into the formula, is largely responsible for providing durable protection. Simply spray, wipe, and polish dry for a beautiful, durable, lasting shine.

ProtectAll's™ anti-static property is ideal for treating vinyl to a clean, dry natural appearance. It leaves NO oily film to attract dust and dirt. With regular use, ProtectAll™s highly effective UV absorber additive helps to protect all surfaces by absorbing the UV light rays and blocking them from reaching the finish.

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 02:43:10 PM »

Armour All was one of the first "protectants" for vinyl going back to the 70's if not earlier but there are better and less "greasy" products. I suggested Doc Bailey's only because of the OP's problem of the seat turning "white." It will fix that issue. As with any of these products, let it dry thoroughly. 

I swear by Protect-All and use it on just about every thing EXCEPT the windshield.  Best product for plastic and poly-carbonate is Plexus.

And I always remove the seat, bags and side covers before washing. Too much dirt under each to ignore. If you do your own work, it's better to work on clean parts. I would also like to think that if you take it to any mechanic, he'll (or she'll) have more respect for a bike that the owner cares about. 

As Haird says (I think),  "And thus endeth the lesson... .'   :coolblue:   :coolblue:    :huepfenlol2:   :huepfenlol2:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 02:50:20 PM »

X2 on Doc Baileys.  Used it for years, great stuff.  For best results leave it on overnight to dry before wiping down/buffing.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 02:54:39 PM »

Armour All was one of the first "protectants" for vinyl going back to the 70's if not earlier but there are better and less "greasy" products. I suggested Doc Bailey's only because of the OP's problem of the seat turning "white." It will fix that issue. As with any of these products, let it dry thoroughly. 

I swear by Protect-All and use it on just about every thing EXCEPT the windshield.  Best product for plastic and poly-carbonate is Plexus.
ays remove the seat, bags and side covers before washing. Too much dirt under each to ignore. If you do your own work, it's better to work on clean parts. I would also like to think that if you take it to any mechanic, he'll (or she'll) have more respect for a bike that the owner cares about. 

As Haird says (I think),  "And thus endeth the lesson... .'   :coolblue:   :coolblue:    :huepfenlol2:   :huepfenlol2:
That would be Hubbard.

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2017, 02:55:53 PM »

That would be Hubbard.

Thank you!  And thank you, Hubbard.   :2vrolijk_21:   :2vrolijk_21:

Sawyer Brown

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2017, 03:07:32 PM »

Glad to hear I am not the only one who, as my wife says "take the bike apart to wash it". Good for you Greg!
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 25 queries.