Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Harley-Davidson removes president of global brand development Neil Grimmer  (Read 3305 times)

harleychef2011

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 Road King - Tribal Orange & Galactic Black
Re: Harley-Davidson removes president of global brand development Neil Grimmer
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2019, 01:00:41 PM »

Y'all seem to be short sighted...

Look at the task of the position... "Global Brand Management".  His job isn't to build or sell motorcycles or be a "biker"...his job was to manage the brand.  Take a guy who "built" several brands into internationally known and successful brand recognition... seems perfect for the job.  I'd want a guy like that in my corner.

Now vetting personality and being a douche... different story.  That's bad on the MoCo leadership.  Behavior in a company culture is just as vital as talent.

:2vrolijk_21:

2014 CVO Road King
V&H Power Duals
V&H Carbon Fiber Tip Pipes
HD Super Tuner & Dyno - 98.7 HP 112.9TQ
RoadTech 665 GPS
Mucho HD Add-Ons!!!

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2019, 01:53:28 PM »

No doubt Grimmer looked to be the best guy to build Harley into a more well known nutritious and healthful soup and/or baby food brand worldwide. 

;D

To build a brand it helps to understand what that brand is, was, & it's potential.  Grimmer understood nutritious and healthful soup.  I saw guys like this wreck companies.  They used wonderful charts & graphs & Powerpoints & the most modern of business methodologies to do so, but they did not have a damn clue about the actual company they were working for.  Some management skills are transferable across industries, have seen that as well.  But that requires intellect as well as understanding - 2 qualities that are almost impossible to learn but can be mimed rather well.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2019, 11:49:18 PM »

Y'all seem to be short sighted...
That could be, but what depth of HD product knowledge did he have?  Never saw anything to indicate he knew Harley culture or products...yet something he did wasn't fitting in well at HD.  Of course, that might even be due to HD being run by a bunch of snowflakes now.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2019, 01:35:18 AM »

Have never understood why companies hire people without any experience in the industry they are stepping into?

The hire generally has "the look". Appears to be a CEO or similar look, they have a big degree and talk real good. They impress the company CEO and board.

One of my past experiences was with a Vice President that wore a pin that said "break it". We were doing well, he decided we had to "break it" start new to move to a new level.

He broke it alright, business dropped dramatically, never recovered, lotta employees lost jobs, he was finally fired. It was a huge loose, loose.

The only way to get employee buyin is to understand them, know the product and customer. Work with your team to achieve goals. Thats how the original take over team at Harley grew the company after buying from AMF. Hopefully they figure it out. Willie G understood the Harley buyer, the motorcycle market. He visited dealerships in the early 90's, talked to dealers and customers. He signed owners manuals, he did one for me. I loved that man.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

mark

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2019, 09:18:35 AM »

scottt, I agree.  This guy had no experience even related to motorcycles, not even experience marketing anything mechanical.  Soup and cereal bars seemed to be his forte.  It would be like hiring a senior MoCo executive to be the Global Brand Manager for Merle Norman (that's a makeup company for all you knuckle draggers).
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 09:41:23 AM by Mark »

ultrarider123

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2019, 10:30:53 AM »

It would be like hiring a senior MoCo executive to be the Global Brand Manager for Merle Norman (that's a makeup company for all you knuckle draggers).

Well, that could be an interesting business model change

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2019, 08:22:48 PM »

I wonder if he was a avid motorcycle enthusiast??

mark

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2019, 09:18:36 AM »

I wonder if he was a avid motorcycle enthusiast??
Not anymore...
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 25 queries.