Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: 2007 FXDSE  (Read 13915 times)

SPIDERMAN

Re: 2007 FXDSE
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2006, 10:34:48 PM »

The FXR was the best frame H-D ever made with the exception of the new Buell's with gas in frame, oil in swingarm. The FXR was tops in weight distrbution, balance, rigidity, handling ease of maintenance, ease of assembly/disassembly You can argue the looks, but you can't argue the engineering. No one makes an exact aftermarket copy of the dyna frame, but there are a dozen or more aftermarket companies still cranking out FXR frames that are so close to the originals you have to check the VINs. There are also a lot of custom FXR frames in the marketplace, the best of which is Chopper Guys. Lately FXR's are making a comeback in the custom world as evidenced by Roland Sands and Russell Mitchell's projects on the Biker Build-off series. I still have a plan to cut the bottom cross member out of one and build a bad ass Twin Cam FXR. someday - - - - -

Big B

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2006, 02:54:42 PM »

The FXR was the best frame H-D ever made with the exception of the new Buell's with gas in frame, oil in swingarm. The FXR was tops in weight distrbution, balance, rigidity, handling ease of maintenance, ease of assembly/disassembly You can argue the looks, but you can't argue the engineering. No one makes an exact aftermarket copy of the dyna frame, but there are a dozen or more aftermarket companies still cranking out FXR frames that are so close to the originals you have to check the VINs. There are also a lot of custom FXR frames in the marketplace, the best of which is Chopper Guys. Lately FXR's are making a comeback in the custom world as evidenced by Roland Sands and Russell Mitchell's projects on the Biker Build-off series. I still have a plan to cut the bottom cross member out of one and build a bad ass Twin Cam FXR. someday - - - - -

Big B

Spiderman,

You didn’t include the Buell tube-frame or the VRod frame with the Buell XB exception; possibly an oversight. The perimeter frame design has proven itself over time, and there really is no argument to make between these frames relative to rigidity.

I respectfully disagree with your point on technology. The Big Twin powertrain has evolved over time, yet the double cradle FLT frame, for all practical purposes has remained unchanged. Over the years, an occasional band aid or two has helped the chassis to keep up; although I feel that a more aggressive approach is required for the future. From a priority perspective, IMHO the FLT platform is next in line for an update in frame system technology. I do agree that this frame was ahead of its time when it was introduced.

The FXR does make a killer custom and the point you make regarding ease of maintenance, assembly, etc., is right on. The added room between the frame and powertrain to accommodate movement improves access for maintenance and repair.

Aesthetically, some folks looked at the added room between the frame and powertrain as a negative. These folks preferred a frame package that tightly envelops the powertrain. This issue was aggravated with the FXR because the powertrain is more exposed than it is on a bagger. In contrast, the VRod frame tightly follows the curves of the powertrain, adding overhead to maintenance and repair; but sonofabitch it sure looks good! If this was all about being practical, we would be riding machines like the one pictured below.

djkak

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2006, 04:17:26 PM »

(Ahem, very politely, here) Your FXR2 was not a Dyna.  Totally different frames.  The FXR frame, light and stiff, 3-point engine mounts, was designed by Eric Buell to efficiently transfer power to the road.  The Dyna frame, much less complex, heavier, two-point engine mounts, was designed by HD accountants to save money.

But I hear the current Dyna frame is better than the old one.  Still....

No, I'm not partial or anything. ;D

Erik Buell, teaches in patent No. 4,776,423 and No. 6, 213,240 that Vibration Isolated Motorcycles MUST HAVE at least 3 stabilizer links connecting the
power train unit to the frame to prevent lateral instability.  Contrary to the patents, Harley-Davidson manufactures the: Dyna, 1 stabilizer link ; FXR 2 stabilizer links; Touring Models (baggers) 2 stabilizer links; and the V-ROD 1 stabilizer link .

Only the Buell and 2004 and later rubbermount Sportsters have 3 stabilizer links.

While the FXR handles well, which is why I still own one, handling can be improved considerably by installing the third stabilizer link that Eric Buell desired for the FXR.

More information is available from the True Track website http://www.true-track.com/1_2006_008.htm

« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 04:18:11 PM by hdfr120 »
Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat

RedFXR2

« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2006, 07:54:36 PM »

I haven’t followed Eric Buell’s career that closely, although it is my understanding that he began working for H-D in 1979. I believe that the FLT and XR750 chassis technology predate Eric’s career with Harley; the FLT being introduced in the 1979 calendar year; 1980 model year.

Maybe I give Buell too much credit for the FXR's creation.  I'm just repeating what I've seen elsewhere (I know, I  know).  Anyway, here are some of the places I've seen the references linking Buell and the FXR design.  It could be folklore by now--all kinds of folks repeating what they've seen elsewhere.  Anybody got Buell's e-mail address?

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcbuell/99x1.html

“When Erik Buell was at Harley, he helped with the design of some of the first FXR frames.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erik_Buell

“After receiving his degree in engineering in 1979, Buell landed a job at Harley-Davidson after he flew himself to Milwaukee, WI to get an interview and "beat my way in the door," as Buell put it. While at Harley, he was involved with concept motorcycles, Porsche-designed "Nova" V-four program, and was responsible for considerable stability and refinements to the chassis design of the FXR series of cruisers, noted for their rubber-mounted engines.”

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcharley/fxds/fxds.html

“The FX series went through several iterations before being christened "Dyna Glide," the last being the FXR family. The Eric Buell designed FXR started simple, but the line expanded dramatically, at one point boasting six different models, everything from a stripped down FXR Super Glide to the hard fairing/hard saddlebag tourer, FXRT Sport Glide.”

My apologies to the SE Dyna folks.  This thread has wandered off course.

RedFXR2

« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2006, 08:00:32 PM »

While the FXR handles well, which is why I still own one, handling can be improved considerably by installing the third stabilizer link that Eric Buell desired for the FXR.

I was talking about three point motor mounts, not lateral stability links (heim joints).  But since you mention it, where would Buell have put the third lateral stability link on the FXR?  Are there existing frame/engine mount points--just missing the heim joint?

Another apology to the SE Dyna folks.

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2006, 08:04:55 PM »

No existing mounting points for the third stabilizer link on the FXR frames.  True Track makes a mount that ties the transmission trapdoor to the frame crossmember with the third stabilizer link.

My apologies as well to the SE Dyna folks for the drift of this thread.
Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2006, 08:33:59 PM »

No existing mounting points for the third stabilizer link on the FXR frames.  True Track makes a mount that ties the transmission trapdoor to the frame crossmember with the third stabilizer link.

My [highlight]apologies as well to the SE Dyna folks for the drift of this thread[/highlight].
Are we really suppose to stay 'on topic'?  [smiley=nixweiss.gif] [smiley=oops.gif] [smiley=soapbox.gif] har!  [smiley=drink.gif] spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

DynaSoar

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXDSE
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2007, 12:27:34 AM »

Not that I'm upset about the turn the thread has taken (it's interesting reading), but I just got my '07 FXDSE. I put 254 miles on it the first day. I really like the bike. I thought it would vibrate a lot more than it does. I guess the rubber mounts help out. Now the temperature went to crap and it's raining.

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '05 SEEG/'06 CUSE/'07 SERK/'09 SERG (ALL SOLD)
    • CVO2: '09 CVO Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz (SOLD)
    • CVO3: '11.5 CVO Ultra Classic Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2007, 01:03:19 AM »

This is a great looking bike.  I'd go for the red, but all three look good.

woohoorider

« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2007, 08:52:24 PM »

I have close to 5000 miles on my red 07 FXDSE and its now in the repair shop for minor body damage from a collision avoiding laydown. I purchased a PCIII today and can hardly wait to feel the diff. in a few days. The bike is already very fast and with Bub's jug huggers(already installed), and the PCIII the thing should run cooler and be smokin'

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member
  • My Little Pepe` the CVO Donkey

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE V&H Big Shot Staggered SERT K&N A/C Custom Seat
    • CVO2: '09 Road Glide-waiting for lottery
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2007, 12:59:01 PM »

Uhhh, what were we talking about? Oh, yeah-I have an '07 FXDSE, and stand 5'4"...very comfortable bike, awesome paint scheme, super fast ride & handles great! I have 4,000 miles on it since December and this one is a keeper. I'll get some more recent pic's with the new exhaust & post soon. BTW-off the conversation a bit- after riding in "Rolling Thunder" at the back of the pack & splitting off to view the Wall, ect. we rode up to Fells Point above Baltimore inner harbor & I discovered a new poison. It's called Vincent Van Gogh Vodka in either espresso or double espresso flavor. This stuff is dangerously good, i drink it over crushed ice & find myself quite the happy camper after 1/2 to 2/3 a bottle...whoa!  :drink:

Flyndyna/soaringchicken
I am so non conformist I have conformed to non conformity
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 25 queries.